• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More ways to focus on Lucario's steel and fighting types

One thing I disliked about Lucario is despite having an amazing type combo he seems to focus on his aura exclusively. While he is the "Aura Pokemon" and it can be argued that aura is a fighting technique, what are some ways he could have more focus on his types, especially his Steel type? Thing is I don't know much about Lucario. I didn't even play as him that much in Brawl. Steel and Fighting are two of my favorite types and I'd love it represented in more then aura waves (which don't feel like a fighting or steel move to me be honest) Lucario fans, what are some things Lucario can do to represent his typing?

Here is his Bulbapedia movepool page:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Lucario#Learnset

My ideas:
Metal moves: Not a move, more of a aesthetic change. When he attacks his fist and legs gain a metallic shine and shows that he is using his type to smash foes. Give it a special "clang" sound when he makes contact to show that he's smashing them with fists of steel. With this his steel and fighting type are both represented. Right now most of his moves use aura, but they can change a few of these without changing too much; make his weaker moves based around steel punches and his powerful moves around aura.

Steel Buff: (This may have balance issues, so Lucario fans feel free to tell me how this won't work.) When Lucario has high damage, he starts to get a metallic shine. Not only does he gain strength, but he also get's slightly heavier and slower. That sounds like an imbalance, but while Lucario is harder to knock out when he is knocked off the stage he falls like a rock. Basically he becomes a slightly more heavier and stronger fighter. Maybe give him some super armor for some of his moves as well (a reference to his inner focus ability)

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I like Steel Buff, but it doesn't go anything Pokémon related. If Sakurai wanted to implement a Steel-type move, I think a miniature Kamehameha (Flash Cannon) would be necessary.

Steel Buff is like a gradual Metal Box sort of thing. What would happen if Goku's at 999%?

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Oh god.
Steel buff would be more of a hindrance then anything. Lucario's moves are so telegraphed that a lot of the time he DOES have to rely on his mobility to land a kill move by baiting out something unsafe. He wouldn't be able to do some of his best mobility tricks like f-air to wavebounce/b-reverse. The increase in fall speed would also completely ruin his air to air game, making it so he can no long string f-air to n-airs or f-airs to d-airs together, which is basically his bread and butter when it comes to combos. Not to mention, his increase fall speed wouldn't let him gimp with f-airs anymore...

Ahhh, it just wouldn't be a good trade off. It'd basically turn him into ganondorf at high percent, but without any quick burst range moves like ganons warlock kick.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
The problem is that Lucario's entire shtick in Smash, his "unique factor" if you will (since we all know how gung-ho Sakurai is about that now), is his aura, and how his aura moves power up as he falls behind; it is, after all, a unique attack "element" that only he possesses. Thus, in order for this feature to be integrated into his playstyle, the vast majority of his moves make use of the stuff. As an ardent Lucario fan both inside and outside of Smash, I feel like this representation is far off from how he's portrayed in the Pokémon universe, and I'd love to see him take on a more physical approach to combat, using more hard punches and the like. It's not very likely, however. Sakurai sees potential in Lucario's aura, not in his Fighting/Steel-typing, which is a shame, considering this is a fighting game and all. While I'm not crazy about all of the changes made to him in Project M, his moveset in that mod is much closer to how I envisioned it'd be before Brawl was released, and I'd hope and wish for Sakurai to make some changes along that route.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
To me it just feels...boring hitting things with Aura. Feels like I'm brushing them with purple paint. I'd at least appreciate it if the few physical-contact moves (like throws/Force Palm) had a hard-hitting sound effect to properly convey that he is indeed a Steel type.

Gune

Smash Lord
I personally like both of his move sets in P:M and brawl, they both fit him fairly well, the brawl one shows how sakurai depicts him as a calm and collected martial artist that is somewhat slow but precise in his movements which is how most people including sakurai depict his personality, while his P:M move set is a fast and comboer who if given the chance will ravage you which really reflects his pokemon game play. I think a vast majority will be satisfied if these move sets could be merged but in the mean time I like where he's at now.

Wafflepanda

Smash Rookie
I am pretty sure Lucario's final smash in brawl is a steel type move ( yes the laser beam of death) I believe it is supposed to be flash cannon which is a special based steel type move which in pokemon lucario can be used as both a physical and special attacker. But if I were to implement a steel type move I would want it to be Iron Head imagine Lucario's head turning all metallic then give someone a massive headbutt ohh yeah!

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Ehhh. Just give him Metal Claw as a tilt move, and maybe spice some of his moveset up with shiny grey attack arcs and metallic sounds. It's not like he has a ton of Steel-type moves in his learnset.

By leveling:
Metal Claw (makes sense)
Metal Sound (Status Effect? Not really suitable for smash)

By TM:
Flash Cannon (Already has this)

By Breeding:
Bullet Punch (super-fast punch. Makes sense for Smash)
Iron Defense (Maybe as an alternative to shielding? Either way I wouldn't say it was necessary)

Truth is that, despite being a Steel Type, most of his by-leveling moveset is either Fighting or Normal. He has as many Psychic moves as he does Steel moves that he gains from leveling.

If you get into TMs he gains access to a ton of Normal moves, some Fighting, and a few other types here and there. Steel is actually one of the least common, and he actually learns far more Dark moves than he does Steel.

Moves via breeding is a similar story. Fighting has more representation than anything else. Steel gets a minimal amount of love.

All in all, Lucario being a Steel type doesn't automatically give him a ton of access to Steel type moves, but I can say similar things about a number of different Pokemon across a number of different types. The type says more about him defensively than it does offensively. STAB is nice, but sometimes it's a luxury, not a right.

Last edited:

Gune

Smash Lord
Actually Lucario learns more steel type moves than dark (Iron defense, metal claw, metal sound, flash cannon, Iron tail, bullet punch) (Bite, Crunch, dark pulse, nasty plot)

jigglover

Smash Lord
The type says more about him defensively than it does offensively.
I 100% agree. so why don't we just make him turn metallic with his Down-B counter attack (is it called Aura Strike?) and write it off as Iron Defense, when then Lucario suddenly lunges out with an Iron Tail or possibly Metal Claw afterwards? That represents the Steel-Typing he has perfectly, and it changes his moveset nil poi.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Actually Lucario learns more steel type moves than dark (Iron defense, metal claw, metal sound, flash cannon, Iron tail, bullet punch) (Bite, Crunch, dark pulse, nasty plot)
When I said that, I was referring only to TMs. In Gen 6, he can only learn Flash Cannon from TM, while he can learn Hone Claws, Fling, Payback and Dark Pulse (4 Darks) according to Bulbapedia. Also, Lucario doesn't get Iron Tail. I don't know if he did in previous Gens, but he doesn't in 6.

However, if you want to compare the total number of Steel moves vs. the total number of Dark moves he can possibly learn (in Gen 6) you have to count...

Steel Types:
(From Breeding)
Bullet Punch
Iron Defense

(From TMs)
Flash Cannon

(From Leveling)
Metal Claw
Metal Sound

So that's a total of 5 Steel Moves.

Now for Dark...

(From Breeding)
Bite
Crunch

(From TMs)
Hone Claws
Fling
Payback
Dark Pulse

(From Leveling)
Nasty Plot (Via Riolu)

For a total of 7 Dark Moves.

So yes, Lucario does get more Dark moves than Steel. However, this isn't that relevant to the point because Dark isn't Lucario's most common attack type either.

Lucario's move types are:

Normal (28) (Extreme Speed, Foresight, Quick Attack, Feint, Swords Dance, Me First, Roar, Hidden Power, Hyper Beam, Protect, Frustration, Return, Double Team, Facade, Attract, Round, Retaliate, Giga Impact, Swagger, Sleep Talk, Substitute, Confide, Strength, Follow Me, Mind Reader, Endure, Screech, Copycat)

Fighting (20) (Close Combat, Aura Sphere, Detect, Counter, Power-Up Punch, Quick Guard, Bulk Up, Brick Break, Low Sweep, Focus Blast, Rock Smash, Circle Throw, Cross Chop, High Jump Kick, Low Kick, Sky Uppercut, Vaccum Wave, Final Gambit, Force Palm, Reversal)

Dark (7) (Hone Claws, Fling, Payback, Dark Pulse, Bite, Crunch, Nasty Plot)

Psychic (5) (Calm Mind, Heal Pulse, Psychic, Rest, Agility)

Steel (5) (Metal Claw, Metal Sound, Flash Cannon, Bullet Punch, Iron Defense)

Ground (4) (Bone Rush, Earthquake, Dig, Bulldoze)

Rock (3) (Rock Tomb, Stone Edge, Rock Slide)

Poison (2) (Toxic, Poison Jab)

Ghost (2) (Shadow Ball, Shadow Claw)

Fire (2) (Sunny Day, Blaze Kick)

Dragon (1) (Dragon Pulse)

Water (1) (Rain Dance)

Types with no moves learned by Lucario: Flying, Electric, Fairy, Bug, Grass, Ice

Source: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Lucario

So Steel type is way behind Normal and Fighting, slightly behind Dark, tied with Psychic, and beats out Ground, Rock, and all the rest.

That said, the idea of giving Lucario Iron Defense as some kind of defensive move makes sense to me.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I'm not sure if :4lucario:will get steel moves for Sm4sh. I approve the ideas because we want the pokemon types to cross-over into the smash games much like all the moves we see in move-sets for the pokemon in Brawl and P:M already. Everyone's comments especially the Lucario mains lead to good points while telling myself I'm against the idea of steel buff for Lucario...however I'd love to see a steel buff for his ground game! Steel moves in the air seem like a no-no and the steel buff addition to his high % altering his weight and speed would turn me off (unless I adapted to it's game-play).

As for the move-pool comments I have no say for it. I quit playing pokemon hand-helds after Emerald Gen. III and watch Pokemon XY anime for the Lucario beat-down<3 so I got nothing on that but Sakurai hasn't gone with a pure move-set of exact pokemon moves for Smash.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
TL;DR I approve of adding steel attacks in move-set. Don't add in the steel buff unless it's for his ground game (that would be a bit unbalanced). Sakurai puts in iconic moves everyone knows and love (mostly for the specials and smash moves) & probably won't put in an exact number of 28-ish moves from the pokemon franchise into Sm4sh.

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
What makes Lucario so good in the games is that Steel is so overpowered defensively he can find many opportunities to attack/setup freely. I'd love to see what they can do to him defensively using the steel type, like maybe use it to make him slightly heavier? Or maybe give him swords dance or something so moves like force palm/bullet punch have like more knockback/damage. Maybe give him bullet punch or something. What make lucario so great in the games offensively is his ability to set up on **** using its steel type. Just let steel have an influence on what it can do.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Was recently posting to the Custom Specials move thread and ended up typing something like this on accident but fits so well, tell me your thoughts on it:
NB Aura Sphere for example you still ASC (Aura Sphere Charge) per-say that ASC orb was a ticking hit-box maybe that would have a secondary effect of wind-box properties or magnetizing properties of bringing in characters closer to it.....Wait Magnetizing?!?! Confirmed Steel type.:troll:

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Eh, Lucario rarely even uses Steel-type moves in the games or anime anyways and his running theme is that of the aura warrior, his attacks focus more on his fighting-type aspect.
Anyways, Lucario's moveset was fine the way it is and I honestly don't believe that we should throw at it random steel-type moves to see what it sticks. I care more about efficiency than trying to fulfill the quota of "Since it can have this here, it MUST have it in Smash as well, dammit!"

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Eh, Lucario rarely even uses Steel-type moves in the games or anime anyways and his running theme is that of the aura warrior, his attacks focus more on his fighting-type aspect.
Anyways, Lucario's moveset was fine the way it is and I honestly don't believe that we should throw at it random steel-type moves to see what it sticks. I care more about efficiency than trying to fulfill the quota of "Since it can have this here, it MUST have it in Smash as well, dammit!"
Understandable, the only way I see some additional steel move-set being interesting let alone efficient are through customization. 'Aura Warrior' does pretty damn well all by itself.:shades:

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if :4lucario:will get steel moves for Sm4sh. I approve the ideas because we want the pokemon types to cross-over into the smash games much like all the moves we see in move-sets for the pokemon in Brawl and P:M already. Everyone's comments especially the Lucario mains lead to good points while telling myself I'm against the idea of steel buff for Lucario...however I'd love to see a steel buff for his ground game! Steel moves in the air seem like a no-no and the steel buff addition to his high % altering his weight and speed would turn me off (unless I adapted to it's game-play).

As for the move-pool comments I have no say for it. I quit playing pokemon hand-helds after Emerald Gen. III and watch Pokemon XY anime for the Lucario beat-down<3 so I got nothing on that but Sakurai hasn't gone with a pure move-set of exact pokemon moves for Smash.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
TL;DR I approve of adding steel attacks in move-set. Don't add in the steel buff unless it's for his ground game (that would be a bit unbalanced). Sakurai puts in iconic moves everyone knows and love (mostly for the specials and smash moves) & probably won't put in an exact number of 28-ish moves from the pokemon franchise into Sm4sh.
Skull Bash? Rock Smash? i have yet to find anyone that like or remember those moves.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Skull Bash? Rock Smash? i have yet to find anyone that like or remember those moves.
Good evening @ asia_catdog_blue asia_catdog_blue

So reading my quote my sentence, "Sakurai puts in iconic moves everyone knows and love"
I probably typed that a month ago only thinking about the pokemon's special moves due to them being the ones we remember the most such as Aura Sphere & Force Palm for Lucario. Thunderjolt/shock. Quick Attack & Thunder for Pikachu, Squirtle's Withdraw & Water Gun. Jigglypuff's Pound, Sing, Rollout & Rest.
Basically I had in mind the moves we remember in the Super Smash Bros. games & love them since the early installments. Skull Bash has been around since Melee Pikachu but imo Skull Bash should of been a Pichu only move, for some reason. Rock Smash is definitely amazing on Charizard everyone remembers that broken ass move on Brawl as dominant shield pressure.

Top Bottom