• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More time for Smash 4?

Would you rather have the game releasing now or wait a little longer?

• Total voters

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
Censor Dodging Warning Received
So, everyone know about the new leak right? Bowser jr, Shulk, ****ing Duck hunt dog! (can't wait to beat the s*** out of him) and three clones which we don't really need. I personally was kinda disappointed about this, and I really think Sakurai can add a lot more into the game if we give him a little more time. But it's maybe too late for this since the 3DS version is coming out in like a week. But what if, just what if the game was given a little more time? Maybe they can sdd the veterans we miss, better new characters, and maybe perfect online mode (you know what I'm talking about). Who knows, giving them a year or so, they might make a new Subspace Emissary.
Also, anyone recalls what happened when brawl was announced? Did they show all the newcomers and veterans? Even the unlockable ones? Cause if they didn't, I think we might still have a chance for some hidden characters to join the show this time around.

Khao

Smash Lord
The roster's already above 50 characters, they already added everyone they wanted to add, so I really doubt any delays at this point would really change anything as far as content goes.

There's not much point to delay the game at all right now. (especially since the 3DS version is already complete, and the Wii U version is likely very close.) There's always more things you can add to a game, that doesn't mean you should delay it forever. If everything you planned is complete and functional, there's no reason not to release the game soon.

Plus, delays aren't exactly for free, you know. Extending development time also extends development costs.

Last edited:

Ellipsis

Smash Cadet
That is not how it works. The farther along you get in development, the less you can easily change. The entire roster was decided at the very beginning. Adding new characters now would be hilariously inefficient. The point of a delay is to finish content and test it properly, not change the very foundation.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
The beauty of DLC is that they can release the game now and add additional content later if they feel like it.

Release it now. Now. Now, I tells ya!

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
There were like 10 unannounced brawl characters when it came out.

Delays are out of the question at this point in time. Smashboards couldn't take the stress.

Last edited:

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
Gotta remember that two characters are split up into 4, 3 clone characters are added as seperate characters, that adds up to seven, also mario franchise had 7 characters(not counting Yoshi, Wario, and dr.mario), while the rest had at most five, it makes the roster unbalanced. Brawl had 39 characters, 16 more than melee, while in this game, there's about 9 more characters, which is a lot less if you consider it again, and this is counting the clone characters from each game.

There were like 10 unannounced brawl characters when it came out.

Delays are out of the question at this point in time. Smashboards couldn't take the stress.
Good to hear that, or else I will be really disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pékaßlu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0147-0376-7641
I rather wait and let them polish up the gameplay. As of right now i'm not really impressed.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
we might have to wait till the next smash to get what we want. parts of this are going to be disappointing no matter what at this point.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
we might have to wait till the next smash to get what we want. parts of this are going to be disappointing no matter what at this point.
Well that's going to be the same for every game ever. Some parts will be disappointing and no amount of waiting will change that.

DairunCates

Smash Journeyman
The problem with the idea of a game being delayed longer for the sake of making it "the best as possible" is twofold:
1. You hit the law of diminishing returns on that time REALLY fast. One extra week put in at the end of a cycle is not nearly as effective of a use of time as one week near the end.
2. If you were allowed to infinitely improve a game, the programmers and artists could ALWAYS come up with some improvement to add. This is why a GOOD executive producer on a game is so important. It's their job to judge when a game has hit the point where it's the best it will be without losing the company money and delaying it longer than it needs to. It's not a terribly easy job, but the Nintendo producers are a LOT better at it than most companies.

So yeah. It's not that I'm impatient. I just legitimately don't think adding another month to the 3DS dev cycle would actually do much for the game. It looks about as polished as it's gonna get.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
You do realize there's like five non-leaked characters that we haven't even seen, right?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Game's finished, it fits Sakurai's view, just get it on the shelves asap.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
The game is finished at this point, why would we wait even more? The roster isn't everything mate, there have been key unique gameplay additions added over the duration of the game's development, and gameplay is what truly matters 6 or 7 years down the road to keep the game alive in my opinion. Plus, I'm thinking there are at least 4~5 more characters that aren't known yet.

Even if the roster was a complete disaster, there's always DLC for the future; don't give up hope yet.

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
You do realize there's like five non-leaked characters that we haven't even seen, right?
I hate to the bearer of bad news, but this actually really unlikely. :(

The dude who started to spread this info cannot be trusted because he was known for spreading false info. He was the same person who claimed DLC when the picture leaks came out and later said he was lying.

====

On topic, tho. GIMMIE DAT DERE SNASH 4!!

the8thark

Smash Lord
After all the Hyrule Warriors bugs, I'd rather wait till SSB WiiU is finished properly and relatively bug free.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
After all the Hyrule Warriors bugs, I'd rather wait till SSB WiiU is finished properly and relatively bug free.
I have no doubt that Smash Wii U will be finished properly and be relatively bug-free without the need for further delays. :p

ferioku

Smash Ace
I can already tell who'd vote for the last option. Id vote for option one since I don't like being prejudice. =/

Don't like waiting long for games >=(

Last edited:

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144

The dude who started to spread this info cannot be trusted because he was known for spreading false info. He was the same person who claimed DLC when the picture leaks came out and later said he was lying.

====

On topic, tho. GIMMIE DAT DERE SNASH 4!!
He's going by the fact that there is space for 5 more on the CSS. Regardless of what the person said it is still true there is space for 5 more. This is why he named 5. Either way there is no way to prove either side. So until we find out otherwise on the 13th, I'm gonna believe it.

Last edited:

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
I get the feeling you don't particularly want the new game to be delayed for the right reasons so much as you're still unhappy with the roster, which I don't understand since it's pretty damn sublime IMHO.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I get the feeling you don't particularly want the new game to be delayed for the right reasons so much as you're still unhappy with the roster, which I don't understand since it's pretty damn sublime IMHO.
As a person who supports Ridley, I don't know how can you call any Ridley-less roster sublime.

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
As a person who supports Ridley, I don't know how can you call any Ridley-less roster sublime.
I was here during the Brawl hype. I've had my heart broken once. At one point when this roster was leaked and we assumed that it was final I said "well, okay. I give up caring about Ridley. If it doesn't happen at this point it never will" but of course when it was discovered there may be more I was excited again.

I'm trying to assume the worst so I'm not burned again. I support Ridley but I also think the game doesn't need him at this point considering how strong the roster is.

But I wouldn't say no.

Last edited:

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
Guys, don't get me wrong, by alittle time, I mean another year or so, since this game is just revealed lik 2 years ago.

Last edited:

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
I'm disappointed that so many people picked the first option...

Um... no, everyone knows this is the case. It's obvious. Even if miis have 3 spots there is 2 more left. They better be Mewtwo and Ice Climbers...

Last edited:

DairunCates

Smash Journeyman
Guys, don't get me wrong, by alittle time, I mean another year or so, since this game is just revealed lik 2 years ago.
Do you realize how insanely long a 3 year dev cycle is for any company that's not Bioware (and they got bought out for a reason)? You usually only see dev times longer than that on RPGs with LOTS of writing and detailed cutscenes. It's definitely not the average life cycle for a fighting game (not to mention that when they announced the game is NOT when they started development).

What do you honestly think they can accomplish in a year that would be worth it for both Nintendo and the people playing? Because a few extra characters and maybe a new game mode aren't going to justify millions of dollars of extra investment into a game that Nintendo's already got people lining up to buy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom