• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More Shadow Sneak Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

AkashicSword

Yokai
Hello all. I've noticed as of late that Shadow Sneak has a variety of fresh AT options. However, I have yet to see a place where all of our options are archived. I plan to write a guide for Greninja in the future, but until then, I will place my discoveries about SS here.

So far, I've found three pieces of AT with SS. One of which was founded first by another, so I'll give him the credit when we get there. As for the other two, I know not if they are public knowledge, and they are super simple, so I'll list them here as AT.

(NOTE: I will edit and add videos later, don't fret. If you have videos, send them to me, and I'll post them)

Fast-Falling Sneak: Difficulty: Easy. Application: Medium-Hard

Ever want to use Shadow Sneak while returning to map, but you are launched to high up for it to be effective? Fear not! While you cannot initiate fast fall while charging Shadow Sneak, you can force it during the warp animation. Allowing for explosive surprise attacks. This trick is super simple. While prepping the SS while falling, press and hold, or mash Down on the C-Pad. When you warp, you will fast fall the entire time as opposed to after. Giving yourself more options for surprise attacks. If above the stage, you can use this to warp from above directly to the ground for attack. Warning: Improper use will see a much higher mortality rating than average Shadow Sneak offstage will do, so practice the timing and distance a lot before attempting to apply in combat.

Pivot Sneak. (Not really AT, but a great bit of tech knowledge that you should be aware of) Difficulty: Easy Application: Easy

Know how the back kick out of SS is more powerful? While prepping the sneak. you can turn around on the ground, which will reverse how you come out of the sneak. Say your opponent is directly in front of you, and they are at kill percentage. You can send the sneak directly in front of them, and turn around before you vanish to use the back kick facing forward for a killshot. It's super simple, and every Greninja worth their salt should be able to do this instinctively.

Sprinting Shadow Sneak. Founded by Br0kenEng1ish
Difficulty: Nothing Harder! Application: Medium

The true AT of Shadow Sneak. It's a one frame technique, that requires practice to work, but the premise is simple. It's a SS that allows you to run during the prep. To do this, dash, and the moment the sound effect caused by Greninja's dash ends, input Side-B while still dashing. If done properly, you will continue to dash, but Shadow Sneak will commence. Use this for a great mixup, since most oppponents will be caught off guard by the attack if they see you dashing. This move also allows you to easily go offstage with the move, since you can dash off the ledge, allowing some major offstage gimps and KOs. Be cautious, it's dangerous to use that way.

Not AT but facts about SS you should know. (Note: I was definitely not the first to discover this stuff)

IASA Properties.

Shadow Sneak can cancel any landing lag caused by dodging or attacking when hitting the ground. To do this, simply begin to SS as you make contact. This can be use to parry opponents who try to punish your landing, especially if they believe you to be vulnerable after a whiffed D-Air. You can even purposely whiff a D-Air to bait them in for a SS KO. Nasty stuff. Mix this up with Falling SS in order to cancel out of the jump animation caused by landing D-Air on shield, and hit an opponent when they drop their guard.

Returning to stage.

Shadow Sneak is a strong option when returning to map. Since Hydro Pump's Vertical range is much better when used straight up, you can SS to the ledge, then Up-B to grab it. (This also avoids that awful RNG gimp when Greninja bounces off the ledge when using Up-B horizontally, so use it for a safe comeback) The attack from doing so can punish ledge guarders, even killing them if used right. You can also release onto the stage itself for a nasty sneak attack. Try hitting a ledge guarder from behind with the back kick for a KO, you will never feel more satisfied. Just be careful, you are incredibly vulnerable to some who goes deep while prepping this attack.

Shield Pushback
Not a lot of attacks cause shield pushback in this game. But the back kick from SS will. Force an opponent offstage with this for fun times.

That's all for now folks. I will put up more as it is found. Whether it be AT, or just simple tips.

~Akashic

slayTHE MAN

Smash Rookie
NNID
slayTHE_MAN
3DS FC
0619-4754-8521
Another thing to add would be OoS SS as an alternative to grabbing. Overall good info.

AlexAnthonyD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Anthony
3DS FC
1521-5082-7099
I was just messing around with Gekkouga and realized you can shadow sneak and then jump after you initiate it, as a way to say counter someone who is coming back to the stage. It is kind of difficult to time with the jump for precision but I thought this was worth sharing. Sorry if this is common knowledge.

Ecol

Smash Rookie
Just saw that on reddit as well, pretty cool. It's good to note that the Greninja player also utilizes the camera angle very well in order to hide it's shadow sneak from the opponent.

Last edited:

Choice

Smash Champion
Using this taunt trick is especially distracting when you play your friends online because of the speech bubble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom