• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More on the My Music Battlefield freezing glitch

Drugfreechu

Smash Rookie
The purpose of this thread is to inform what I know about and general discussion of the glitch. The purpose, however, is NOT to report, since that has already been done and I posted this in the General Discussion subforum. I apologize if there is already a thread about this, as I have searched for one and have not found one. Anyways, about the glitch:

This glitch makes the game freeze when selecting Battlefield in My Music. One set music file on this stage (I don't recall at the moment which one) for some reason seems to be corrupted, and it is always the same one. This is why it only happens on Battlefield. When this song comes up when playing on Battlefield, there will be no music playing and no song name will show up at the beginning like usual. For some reason, when in the mode that lets you listen to all the music, the song will still play like normal.

From what I can tell, the "corrupted" file (It is not clear if it is corrupted or not) has nothing to do with the Project M files that come with the original build (Vanilla PM). If you delete all of the files on your SD card and even format it, the glitch will still occur. One problem with this glitch is that when you go to Vanilla Brawl's My Music and select Battlefield, the game still freezes. I have two brawl discs, and the glitch occured in both Brawl and PM while using both discs, even though one of them was from an unopened case, new. Because of all of these things, I have been led to believe that it is writing something to the Wii itself. I tested with both discs to see if this glitch would occur on my other Wii, which hasn't experienced this freeze glitch before. The glitch didn't happen, so I think it probably has something to do with the Wii.

I know that it isn't just my Wii that is old and messed up or whatever, because this glitch has happened to other people as well (although I do not know exactly how common or rare this glitch is). I know that it isn't the SD card because 1. I tried multiple SD cards and 2. it happened on VBrawl. So how does this glitch start in the first place? It seems that messing with custom music may have something to do with it, but there are people who have filled up almost the whole game with custom music and (I don't know this for sure) they don't seem to have any problems. If you have any ideas about how this may happen or just want to discuss it, go ahead and post.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
This bug (via hacking) has existed since before Project M even started. I don't know what actually causes it, but it's something relating to codes (and not necessarily P:M codes). It doesn't have one specific source because the majority of players never encounter it, although it has been reported enough over the years that it is well known by now. It can also happen to Mushroomy Kingdom or Luigi's Mansion (although now that I think about it I guess most of the reports in P:M have happened on Battlefield so maybe it is related to the codes used).

The glitch doesn't come from your game, your Wii, or your custom files. The issue is in your save file itself. What's actually happening is that one of the songs in the My Music settings gets corrupted, so whenever that stage is picked in any mode, the game will crash because it's trying to load a messed up song. Since this saves in your game file, it will still happen if you turn off codes, or use a different disc in the same Wii.

The solution to the glitch is to use a code to reset My Music back to the default settings, which replaces the broken song with whatever was originally there. Again, since this is a save file issue, you just have to load the code once so your game saves, then you can go back to using Project M or whatever else you were using. I'm sure that standardtoaster will come in here and post the code to reset it since he's usually the one responding to these support threads.

Top Bottom