• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More legal stages

Status
Not open for further replies.

zrksyd

Smash Rookie
NNID
zrksyd
3DS FC
0602-6413-5496
Switch FC
SW 0536 6686 4301
I noticed that more stages could be added to the list of legal stages for competitive play by using changes to stages from 8-Player Smash. This is how you do it:
  1. Start the game with at least 5 characters, even if less players are actually playing.
  2. Set the stock to the normal number, but set the time limit to about one minute above the desired time limit.
  3. Select one of the stages listed below.
  4. Once the game begins, immediately self destruct the characters that will not participate in the match.
  5. If the time limit has not reached the desired amount, wait a bit. If the self-destructing is taking too long, quit and set the time limit a bit higher.
  6. You are ready!
From what I can tell, these are the stages that will become available:
Neutral
  • Duck Hunt*
  • Pokémon Stadium 2
  • Pyrosphere
Counterpicks
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Norfair
*Technically, this stage is already legal, but the dog and ducks do not appear in the 8-Player Smash version. What are your guys thoughts on this?

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
There are a lot of issues with this method. They tend to be logistical and adding a lot of time to tournaments (more than seems reasonable for such a simple system). Not to mention the stage variety it adds is pitiful.

Duck hunt is fine as it is. The ducks and dogs are aspects of the stage that can be worked around, which is part of the skill of the game (then again, this is coming from a hyper-stage liberalist who thinks Kalos should be legal, so I whether or not this is actually a reason to change duck hunt is not so definite and more up in the air. A more conservative player would logically want to get rid of the ducks and dog).

PS2 is fine. See the above but replace ducks and dog with transformations.

Pyrosphere, I admit, would be nice.

Not going to get into whether counter picks should even be thing, that's a whole other can of worms.

Luigi's mansion is worse without the destroyable ceiling. Now it's permanent, and its problems are exacerbated.

Norfair you could argue a similar thing, though I've yet to see enough data to know either way. My main concern is that the basic layout would encourage circle camping (which I've heard was a problem in brawl). The hazards, forcing players into a position where they must approach, may be the one saving grace for the stage. But once again this is a lot of maybes'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom