• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Monado Speed Useless?

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
I honestly never use it. Sure it makes his ground speed faster, but all of his attacks are still really laggy. I also find it incredibly difficult to control.

You guys have any tips and tricks to convince me to use this art, looking forward to some responses!

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Use other topics on this board there's a lot of info already.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I understand that you want quick & easy information, but it's better off to ask a question in the Q & A thread next time.:p There's not much to dig for when the Metagame Thread's OP has some info about Speed seen here in this table I made:

Art | Increased stats | Decreased stats 翔(Jump) | Jump Height, Air speed, Falling speed | Defense, Weight 疾(Speed) | Movement speed, Air speed | Damage dealt, Jump Height 盾(Shield) | Defense, Weight, Shield health | Damage dealt, Jump Height, Movement speed, Air speed 斬(Buster) | Damage dealt | Defense, Knockback dealt 撃(Smash) | Knockback dealt | Damage dealt, Knockback resistance, Weight

Info about Speed's tatistics seen in this table Aerodrome made, that is still under progress:
DEFAULT MONADO ARTS

Stance | Damage Taken | Damage Dealt | Weight Change | Jump Height | Ground Speed | Air Speed | Fall Speed | Shield Health
翔 (Jump) | +22% (1.22×) | None. | ? | + | | + | + 疾 (Speed) | None. | −28% (0.72×) | None. | | + | + 盾 (Shield) | −33% (0.67×) | −30% (0.7×) | +44 | | | | | + 斬 (Buster) | +20% (1.2×) | +40% (1.4×) | ?
撃 (Smash) | None. | –50% (0.5×) | –12.5
And the info Berserker01 made about Speed in a post he made a while ago giving a rundown about the Art:

III. Speed

Monado speed increases Shulk's foot speed such that it makes him run as fast as Sonic, however he deals less damage by 28% which can be a big bummer

1) Campers- Neutral Shulk will have a tough time going against campers. It's best to have speed on so you can quickly get up to their face and stay on them as much as possible. (Question: Does Monado speed somehow improve Shulk's air speed?)

2) VERY mobile and fast characters- These types of characters are also iffy to deal with if you're thinking about just using buster against them. They're too fast to catch up to and they have a lot of mobility options. Shulk is NOT mobile. You're gonna need Monado speed to catch up with them

3) Follow ups and combos- We all know Monado speed increases Shulk's foot speed. No brainer. At time, your combo sends your opponent off a distance such that you probably won't reach them in time to continuously combo them. Luckily if you have speed on, you can literally just run to them and attack with a quick attack

4) Mind games- Thanks to Masonomace for this. Almost forgot about it but with the speed, you can easily fake out your opponents and confuse them. Also in case if you get in the opponent's average range of their attacks, you can run away fast so you won't take any sort of unwanted damage. This is also a good way to chip in some damage
If you still have more questions, hit up a chat with @Hylian to help convince you of using Speed mode. Personally though I think being Sonic for 16 seconds of free will sounds pretty good don't chyou?:shades::shades::shades:

Last edited:
It's your best solution in For Glory mode

because people like roly-polying around so using speed's ultra short SH with n-air+air mobility= **** rolls. Oh, Hylian came up with this btw. Actually, just ask Hylian about it

Last edited:

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
I'm always rather confused when people think Speed is useless. Imo it's the best art or at the very least it's by far the most flexible.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Lower jump height means faster SHFF. Which actually means you increase your Nairs Per second (-_-').
Better ability to get in punish range, position, and to evade.

Last edited:

Sui

Smash Cadet
NNID
sui892001
3DS FC
5344-0231-3607
Speed is definitely my most used stance (with Jump being second). It's the art that lets you be the most aggressive because you can actually MOVE, so it's great for chasing across the stage for follow ups, running away, punishing mistakes by your opponent, etc. Plus, like others have said, the decreased height of your SH means better Nairs, which are easily Shulk's most useful move. The decreased damage output tends not to matter at all simply because you're doing damage faster (rather than more damage at once), and the follow up options you have are just larger with Speed.

Plus the range on Shulk's pivot grabs while in Speed are fantastic. So there's that.

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
Lower jump height means faster SHFF. Which actually means you increase your Nairs Per second (-_-').
Better ability to get in punish range, position, and to evade.
If you're Speed Nairing, though, don't SHFF on reflex, because the airtime is short enough that you lose some of the attack - the high portion, to be exact - and that can hurt if you're not careful. It's still really good to hit in front of and below you with almost no land lag, though.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
one use I have for Monado Speed is that the ground movement allows grabs to be a great punish and surprise tactic. dart in on someone, do a grab, maybe follow up with a fair or nair, and since it increases his air speed, he could follow up on the first aerial if he's feeling bold.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
one use I have for Monado Speed is that the ground movement allows grabs to be a great punish and surprise tactic. dart in on someone, do a grab, maybe follow up with a fair or nair, and since it increases his air speed, he could follow up on the first aerial if he's feeling bold.
Lies!
The blue monado affects only ground speed.

EDIT: Ok, the chart shows differently but I know for a fact it has no affect on Kirby's air speed, hence why it's really not very good for him.

Last edited:

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
you sure? I'm pretty sure he moves farther with Speed on... sure, it doesn't affect "fall speed" or "jump height" like jump does, but he does make more distance in the Air with speed on, just not as much as on the ground, that's all...

the evidence is posted earlier, anyways.

Last edited:

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Monado Speed increases your walk speed, run speed and air speed while decreasing your damage output and jump height slightly. Case closed.

Top Bottom