• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Modulous: A new Smash modding website (Looking for early adopters)

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice

Modulous.net
First of all, I apologize beforehand if this is in the wrong section.

A few weeks ago I started thinking about the idea of building my own modding website, I really didn't like brawl vault as an all in one place for brawl modding, so after a few days thinking I was able to modify the open source website KerbalStuff to suit Smash, the result is a modern looking modding website that has support for ALL Smash Brothers games (except WiiU, will add once that's hacked).
It also includes an API so you can build tools that use the website and a future mod manager that I'm currently working on.
I was originally hosting the server in a Hyper-V VM on my PC, but i'm going to start hosting it in a proper VPS next week.

This is how the webpage looks currently:

I'm currently looking for modders to participate in a pre-release test so they can get their mods in early, if you know or you are a modder please let me know and I can setup a test.

Cheers.​

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Bran

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2062-9647-8749
Wow! This looks a lot cleaner and easier to use! I'll have to check this out sometime! One question, though: Will you be able to upload photos directly to the site, or will you have to upload them through sites like imgur like BV?

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
Just letting you know, it's Mew2King, not MewtwoKing. It looks great though, I'll be sure to check it out. I don't mod, but I'll suggest it to any modders I come across.
Yeah I know hehe, and thanks.

Wow! This looks a lot cleaner and easier to use! I'll have to check this out sometime! One question, though: Will you be able to upload photos directly to the site, or will you have to upload them through sites like imgur like BV?
Everything is hosted in the website.

Also thanks to everyone else!

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
I'm a music modder for Brawl, I'm interested. I'd also recommend talking to Achilles, Scout and Theytah. All 3 are extremely capable modders.

Last edited:

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
I'm a music modder for Brawl, I'm interested. I'd also recommend talking to Achilles, Scout and Theytah. All 3 are extremely capable modders.
Send me in a message, and we can talk in a IM software like skype or something to get your stuff up.

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
Problem is, I'm busy right now and am leaving soon. Could I get back to you when I'm not?
I also need time to collect my BRSTM files anyways

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
Alright, should be able to sometime tomorrow, good luck with the project

Nordinairy

Smash Rookie
I really hope the Melee section will get big. Custom music files are a butt to find. Even other hacks and files are very annoying to search for. Good luck. I'm really looking forward to it getting big

MagicManNo9

A busy man with a busy schedule these days!
This is just coming from guy who works a full time web development job from both back end and front end perspective haha (I hope this doesn't come off as big headed of me I just wanted to point that out before I bring up my points!) but I think that design needs to be touched up a lot, I don't know if you're using default buttons, colors and whatnot seem like it's exactly the same style as bootstraps site, (It's hard to describe but design wise it doesn't feel like smash if that makes sense) and color choices specially seems a bit strange, it feels like a programming/github-like site rather than a modding one if that makes sense.

My second is that while it does seem cleaner than Brawl Vault you might want to trim down a few things because a lot is going on, or rather I personally think there's too much going on the downloads page haha, most people I know just want to:

> Click Mod
> Look at image/description
> See download link/download count (I assume that's what Stats would be anyway, I can't think of much that could go into stats)
> Download Mod

As for a modder I (myself for example):

> Press Upload Mod
> Type description and upload file
> Type type/version/compatability
> Upload screenshots
> Upload

Additional stuff that could be added:
- See compatibility with which type (PM, Brawl, Melee) - I see the game there so but I notice for some reason you have License?
- I also notice that there's no sub section, like when you upload a Mario mod, you want to look into the Mario section on Brawl Vault for example (Or well, that's the most simple way of searching Brawl Vault in any case) you might want to add something like a tag or whatnot to it, you can actually replace the tag with an icon of mario's head for example, little things like that.

I assume when you click on the mod it opens up that section displaying the downloads and such,

While version types are nice it might be confusing for first time modders and in some cases they probably wouldn't want an older version of their mod if they're updating it (I did 4 versions of Snes Golf Mario but I wouldn't want anyone to download to older versions because they're not optimise and whatnot, though that varies person to person!)

Though I think the biggest issue is that they're not much modders around these days that you can bring in, so I wouldn't think you would need an API this early in, if it's getting a lot of people and a much wider range of users then I think it's a good idea but essentially a modder would just want to upload their mod on the site right? So I can't think of much use on having anyone use an API at all, even big sites such as nexusmods doesn't have an API from my understanding.

It's a really neat idea but I think you should trim down on the technical stuff and focus a bit into the design a bit more, tis just be my opinion though so take it like a grain of salt if you must!

(Now this is the bit where everyone jumps at me for going to far or argue I'm a bit harsh ;_; I'm mainly just want to help give advice on the idea in case anyone thinks otherwise, I do apologise if this comes off as too harsh though! I actually worked on a PM fan site once a year ago before, though now I'm working on big business site designs haha)

I actually attempted at this idea once before, but because of my Job I don't get much time to these days:

That was a simple layout I whipped up in 5 mins on the spot, but this is what I was referring to in the design aspect of it, again, going with your own style is a good way to bring in more people and such.

Again, sorry if I'm going too hard on this! I just like seeing ideas improve more and more and your stuff so far is really neat! And I hope it goes well!

Last edited:

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
Hey, that's a great post, thanks for the feedback.

Of course, that's the in-detail downloads page with different versions that you get when clicking changelog.

The API is there because it comes from Kerbalstuff, which my site is based off, the mod submit form looks like this:

What the mod API means for everyone is that in the future we could have automated installation of mods if we made a desktop app based on the BrawlBox ilbrary.

There are no sections because there's no need for them, the search algorithm is really good and it finds stuff very fast, so it's going to be faster to type "mario" than finding it in tags.

The reason why I allow version types is because, either users need an older version for a extraordinary reason or you want to have different variants of the same mod, say a costume with different hats.

simon381

Smash Rookie
It looks great maybe add a "moves" section as you can add them in brawlbox and replace the move in the moveset file, too bad it isn't that easy with the hiyboxes of the move, i have some custom moves like a new downtilt for luigi and also a new dash attack for him and i would like to share them.

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
It looks great maybe add a "moves" section as you can add them in brawlbox and replace the move in the moveset file, too bad it isn't that easy with the hiyboxes of the move, i have some custom moves like a new downtilt for luigi and also a new dash attack for him and i would like to share them.
I'm pretty sure that would be pretty demanding.

TheDarkMysteryMan

Banned via Warnings
Hopefully this will stop the OC escapade like there is on BV. Love to move my stuff over there when it starts off.Looks promising

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
As someone who spends most of his time on KC:MM, I find this a lot more cleaner than BrawlVault, and I'm a BV mod. Good luck. I would only be able to contribute music hacks :V

TheDarkMysteryMan

Banned via Warnings
If you can make some themes for the site i'll love the place even more.
Also starting my first Upload of my BRSTM pack. Pretty slick, but can use a LIIIITLE bit of touching up. It feels kind of bland.

NhgrtPlayer

Smash Cadet
Will we be able to search for a source ? For example, if I want to search a skin FROM this or this game/anime/movie/whatever

KingJigglypuff

Smash Ace
I'm a PSA modder on KCMM (BV). I could possibly give this a try once things get going.

Edit: Maybe not. Not too much of a fan of the way things are looking right now. The lack of a forum is also disappointing.

Last edited:

ABloodyCanadian

Smash Cadet
NNID
ABCanadian
3DS FC
4957-6118-7040
Brawl Vault Staff here just randomly popping in... I'll have to give this a shot at some point...

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
Site's up, modulous.net

I'm going to be running some tests and copying big files from the pre-release version's mods, so don't expect proper performance until tomorrow.

Last edited:

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
This looks great! I've always disliked BrawlVault for its random server crashing, slow loading times, and terrible search feature. So, naturally, it's great to hear that this website shouldn't have those problems. The layout is very nice and clean, I look forward to using it once people get their mods on there.

Nordinairy

Smash Rookie
This is amazing. Thanks for making it!! Now hoping people will get some Melee stuff on it

Taiko

Smash Ace
Aside from the design stuff that Codex has pointed out, I also noticed a lack of proper support for adding multiple contributors and crediting other modders. I'm also not sure if browser width banners is a good idea, since Brawl runs at 480p (Dolphin screens are good, but not everyone has Dolphin). Maybe a gallery function could be incorporated into the download pages as well?

I also haven't made an account though and am just going by what's already up, so I could be wrong.

Last edited:

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
Aside from the design stuff that Codex has pointed out, I also noticed a lack of proper support for adding multiple contributors and crediting other modders. I'm also not sure if browser width banners is a good idea, since Brawl runs at 480p (Dolphin screens are good, but not everyone has Dolphin). Maybe a gallery function could be incorporated into the download pages as well?

I also haven't made an account though and am just going by what's already up, so I could be wrong.

to credit people that aren't registered, you can do it in the description of the mod.

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Interesting....

I have a small question B4 I join. Does the website host its own images for the hacks? Or uses imgur and other providers like KC-MM does?

Im a BV moderator, and let me say, these other providers for images seems rather risky, as they can change policies in seconds and purge all images like it happened with one of these already.

Last edited:

MagicManNo9

A busy man with a busy schedule these days!

to credit people that aren't registered, you can do it in the description of the mod.
Just curious, what happens with names that are typed incorrectly? I mean like, you can have someone use Edel and then Scout etc

Last edited:
Top Bottom