• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ModestoLand

tournament ready

Smash Rookie
yeah, thats wat i thought... i just did becuaz it was only 5 bucks... still a great read though... good ideas just thought i shud share it

Last edited:

the man

Smash Apprentice
Anyone down for some smash Tomorrow or the day after? I'm off work and would be down to practice/chill or whatever.

Incoming wall of text of stuff most people already know:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfc1MRVmJYs
ayyy I "lived" off yugioh for the longest time. Paid for university and other expenses by winning tournaments and selling cards. It aint hard to make money in general. I did it mostly for fun, but I could have made way more doing stuff like software development/CS. I think I could have also set up any other sort of vending business and made more money instead of selling cardboard

In general, I wouldn't advise doing anything (video) gaming related. The expected value tends to be really low and even if it's something skill intensive like developing games, you're probably wasting your time and skills. I don't know how people work 50-60 hour weeks developing games for 60k a year when that same amount of skill gets you 100-120k at the very least at some other software developing company. You'll probably work a lot less there too.

As for actually trying to live off playing games of any sort, you have to be ridiculously consistent. For a lot of games having a win rate above 65% against high level players is considered godlike and then you realize how low that still is when you have to play 10+ rounds in any given large scale tournament.

I remember hearing stuff like Starcraft BW players playing something like 14-16 hours a day every single day just to get some mediocre paycheck unless you were one of the top 5 players. I've heard the same for practically every single other game, I'm not sure I would ever find grinding that many hours of the same exact game fun and rewarding. Actual competitive events are fun, but in order to do well you have to put in the hours and hours of preparation.

You could make a living off writing 20 page books too. I could write a 20 page book on not why to try to move gaming from being a hobby to being a job.

No fun allowed

I might play smash one of these days, not sure, once school starts I probably won't have as much time to play smash.

RIP Aegislash and defensive play. Lol they keep changing the reasoning for the ban, that aint gen 4 garchomp. Dayum im still mega salty over smogon in general. lol considering banning M Gengar from ubers....

Last edited:

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
LOL dat video!!!!! evangelical churches have the weirdest stuff ever!!

yea good analysis tho. just comes down to a point of doing what you're passionate about, what you love and want to do. the quote from citizen kane that i always remember is "Well, it's no trick to make a lot of money... if what you want to do is make a lot of money."

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
placed 13th out of 150+ at smash@google.

lost to some weird matchups but it's funny because i go even with the top 2

but the guys who got 4th, 5th, and some of the top 16 could beat me bc of weird matchups. just gotta take in what i can and apply it next tourny

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
ahhh i can't go to fresno anymore bc i have work, but lucas should be going. not sure if he has a smashboards account..

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
his number is 209 552 6269

sometimes he doesn't respond tho. otherwise the best way would be facebook..

Tybis

Smash Apprentice
Sup guys, Turlock resident here. Do you guys only play Brawl or would you play any Smash?

I'm new to this thread if you couldn't tell and don't feel like reading 400 pages. I'm just really eager to actually play Smash other than with my regular group. :colorful:

Last edited:

the man

Smash Apprentice
If I remember correctly Brawl isn't really played much anymore. At least not here, It's mostly P:M and Melee.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Sup guys, Turlock resident here. Do you guys only play Brawl or would you play any Smash?

I'm new to this thread if you couldn't tell and don't feel like reading 400 pages. I'm just really eager to actually play Smash other than with my regular group. :colorful:
sup man add me on facebook! haha

turlock is about half an hr away from where i live in modesto but it'd be cool to meet a new player

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
nice lol lots of people chiming into this thread

let's all get together some time, and have 2 setups for both pm and melee

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i'm free next week in the middle of the week but not weekends

find my contact info in this thread and hit me up! we can all figure something out

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
broken clock, tybis, netbattler, jamiezz, the man:

tomorrow i'm goin to work and finding out when i'm free this week. then y'all are invited over to my house, and we can have two setups, one with pm and one with melee

mohamad91

Smash Rookie
Sup guys I live in manteca and have been practicing pm with my friend, was wondering if I can practice with u guys sometime, I met choknater before names moe I played u in mvc3 before lol

mohamad91

Smash Rookie
Im getting solid in pm just need to learn matchups, do u guys run tournies and where can I find the threads for em?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
oh what's up man! are u on facebook? there's a page called "official centralcali smash" and also "central valley smash" where u can find most of the players around here. the centralcali one has like 400 ppl and is centered around fresno, but most modesto/manteca/stockton players are part of it too

mohamad91

Smash Rookie
K thnx is there ever tournies in modesto for pm or do u plan on throwing another one at that card shop in manteca, the last one was huge, but at the time i didnt own pm yet so I didnt enter

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yeah i plan to, it's just that my weekends always get booked quick so i have to plan it 1 or 2 months ahead of time.

mohamad91

Smash Rookie
Sup whens the next tourney or session for pm? I wanna get better and have been practicing, I got good at wavedashing n learned my character just gotta learn matchups

mohamad91

Smash Rookie
Sup choknater think I can get a ride with u to smash bash 3? My bro totaled my car and I live in manteca right off the yosemite exit its hella close, I have gas money if its good text me 510 921 6985 I just hella want to lvl up my game

Top Bottom