• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Modern Medicine is a Religion

D

Deleted member

Modern Medicine has sorta turned into what the Catholic church was, 500 years ago. If ANYBODY goes against medicine today, it's as if you are being sentenced to the cross. There are numerous cases of doctors and people in the medical profession speaking out against something is wrong, then being fired for expressing their thoughts! If I were in the profession I myself would be afraid of speaking out if there was the danger of losing my job!

So anyway, thoughts?

Coolaid_Mix

Smash Cadet
NNID
Coolaid_Mix
3DS FC
5241-1940-9069
I get you. I absolutely HATE how there are modern medicine commercials. It's like they force you to try something new, when in reality it makes your body worse. I'm sick right now, but I don't take medicine because I usually just naturally get better after awhile :)

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Could you give an example of this persecution so we'd know exactly what you're talking about?
I hate how religious dogma has become a part of modern medicine. The medical doctor keeps asking me if I've done the appropriate prostate checks when I have told him repeatedly that I don't feel comfortable going door to door proselytizing.

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
He was let go because he remained in a hospital for eleven years with a mission policy and agenda he was openly opposed to using the hospital intranet system and also directly sending messages to the CEO of the hospital that he disagreed with their stance on the issue. He acted unprofessionally when he asked that he didn't want emails sent to him when he could have had them marked as spammed and automatically blocked. When he received the emails, he posted public and open comments citing Leviticus 18:22 that states that homosexuality is an abomination. When it was clear for eleven years that he was not going to change his views and continued to be public about his beliefs as a member of the hospital, he was finally expelled. As a urologist he could have gone private practice and still made a solid living or joined another hospital. He clearly stayed in the hospital in order to "fight" against the hospital administration and had more then enough time to seek an appointment elsewhere.

A hospital isn't anything like the all encompassing Catholic Church and the influence it had resulting in wars roughly 450 years ago between Protestants and Catholics. It's a private institution that renders services per payment of service and can cease who it employs to render a given service as it sees fit. Hospitals aren't entitled to put up with someone who is going in public and jettisoning their progressive push towards social media in the opposite direction citing Leviticus and stating that it falls according to certain religious moral grounds. I thought the whole comparison to the Catholic Church was a joke, but the correlation and contextualization of this entire debacle is just lulzworthy.

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
Thing is, medicine does not get outdated, medicine is always improving, new studies are being made and new products are being created.

It's different from a religion, it's not that people believe vaccines or medicine is good for your body, it's that it is, no matter how you look at it.

the.tok

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2767-0503-3415
You are mixing two things that are related : medicine which is a science, a study field if you wish, and institutions related to the practice of medicine, namely hospitals and pharmaceutical companies.

It is like mixing religion and church, if you see the analogy. Those are very different things.

Medicine as a science is nothing like a religion, it is a science, which means it is based on axioms that can be refuted and not on dogma. Different animal altogether.

As for the article linked... This was a good laugh, didn't know about this site. They seem to accumulate all the possible cliches on conspirationist sites ^^

I would also fire anyone this obnoxious about religion at work. Religion is private and shouldn't impact workl at all. And if this pisses off conservative Christians and conspirationists, then it must be right somehow ;)

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Medicine is actually not so much an intrinsic science as an amalgamation of difference fields of science.

greatbernard

Smash Apprentice
Medication is something you have to be practical about. Society shouldn't be over-pushing medication, but the solution isn't to go to the other extreme and say "people don't need medication" and "natural is always better".

Everyone's different. Medication works for some people. It doesn't work for others. This whole anti-medication movement is really just a way for people without mental illnesses to be condescending toward people who have them and are trying to treat them.

SSG SAX GAMER

Smash Apprentice
There are numerous cases of doctors and people in the medical profession speaking out against something is wrong, then being fired for expressing their thoughts!
Those are rare cases, and it's usually because they speak out against something unrelated to medicine. modern day medicine is more like a science

Top Bottom