• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Modding controllers?

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
My friend intends to buy a USB device that modifies consoles/controllers so he can play Super Smash Bros with let's say a PS4 controller all so he can have D-Pad support. I don't even know what to classify this under. Hacking, modding, cheating?
I keep telling him D-Pad support is unneeded but now that he plans to buy this device I don't even want to play him anymore. What do you guys think?

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Why cant he? It's his choice. Numerous people have played games using controllers from other systems. I don't see the problem here.

Last edited:

chrisall76

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chrisall76
3DS FC
2921-9185-8763
if he's buying that for the WiiU, why doesn't he get a gamecube controller? It has a D-Pad. Heck, he could buy a classic controller, Pro Controller, etc.

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
if he's buying that for the WiiU, why doesn't he get a gamecube controller? It has a D-Pad. Heck, he could buy a classic controller, Pro Controller, etc.
Because he doesn't want to use an analog stick and says he'll be more "precise" with a D-Pad.

Solomon

Smash Rookie
If your friend is buying the Chronus adapter (sounds like that's whats he's buying) its known to lag players and is banned in most FGC tournaments. Honestly tell him to get used to a 1st party controller.

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
If your friend is buying the Chronus adapter (sounds like that's whats he's buying) its known to lag players and is banned in most FGC tournaments. Honestly tell him to get used to a 1st party controller.
Never knew that, well I'll tell him, doubt it'd change his mind though.

Raijinken

Smash Master
D-pad support is great, but like some have said, he'd be better off with a first-party controller. Especially if he's using the D-pad for movement, unless he has some magical pressure-sensitive D-pad, it will be more limiting than the analog stick as most D-pad inputs are binary (for example, note how in Kirby Super Star, one must either walk at a single pace by pressing the direction, or run at a specific pace by double-tapping the direction, versus how one can smoothly adjust their movement speed in Smash Bros with the joystick).

Basically, it's his loss, and I wouldn't hold it against him on a personal level, but unless he's new to Smash entirely, he should know enough about it to know that a D-pad is not sufficient for control like it is in Street Fighter.

GrownCannoli

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't do that because you need to use tilts and I don't know if that would work with a ps4 controller. Maybe it does I don't know.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I always wanted to say that I feel that everyone should use the stock control schemes. Meaning that only the official control schemes designed to play the game on are allowed. If you really wanted this to be a true test of skill everyone would use the same equipment. Different controllers give different advantages and that should also be a reason to have a standard control scheme for tournaments.

If anyone here plays Marvel Vs Capcom 3 and played against someone using a "hitbox" controller they can do moves that other people cannot do. same with Keyboards. Has this ever made a difference though? I don't think so, so that's why no one seems to care.

Last edited:

chrisall76

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chrisall76
3DS FC
2921-9185-8763
Because he doesn't want to use an analog stick and says he'll be more "precise" with a D-Pad.
Should probably tell him this isn't street fighter lol
Honestly though, he should just buy a 1st party controller as I don't think tournaments would like that.
That's definitely something a new player would say imo, heck my friend said wanted to switch the stick to the dpad on my gc controller yesterday. Good for other fighting games, not so much for smash.

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
Should probably tell him this isn't street fighter lol
Honestly though, he should just buy a 1st party controller as I don't think tournaments would like that.
That's definitely something a new player would say imo, heck my friend said wanted to switch the stick to the dpad on my gc controller yesterday. Good for other fighting games, not so much for smash.
Yeah that's what I say, yet he insists the D-Pad would give him better precision that he wouldn't miss his attacks. He's definitely new to Smash, not new to FG's though.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I don't think he understands that restricting himself to a D-Pad will only hinder him. Smash utilizes the Analog sticks in such a way that tilting them performs light attacks and smashing them does hard attacks, its not like street fighter where theres a light punch and hard punch button. Also you walk by tilting and run by smashing so if he only had a D-Pad he'd be stuck walking and tilting.

But then he can just switch over to the PS3 analog stick when he realizes this so what's the prob?

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I don't think he understands that restricting himself to a D-Pad will only hinder him. Smash utilizes the Analog sticks in such a way that tilting them performs light attacks and smashing them does hard attacks, its not like street fighter where theres a light punch and hard punch button. Also you walk by tilting and run by smashing so if he only had a D-Pad he'd be stuck walking and tilting.

But then he can just switch over to the PS3 analog stick when he realizes this so what's the prob?
Actually, he could probably Smash vs. Tilt pretty easily since that's really all about the timing (or at least it was in Melee, you could tilt + A with proper timing and it would come out as a Smash. Got kinda annoying after a while, really), except that he'd be stuck having to walk for a moment before using a Tilt.

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman

Well that's the thing, the whole purpose for his purchasing of this device is to SOLELY use the D-Pad and not any analog stick. To which he's going to such lengths to moddify consoles and controls so he can use a D-Pad on any controller.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
This is just a really bad idea. How does he plan to have any aerial mobility or mobility at all? He won't be able to run, turn cancel, perform dairs without fast falling. He might as well play with Wii Remote without a nunchuck.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Smash vs Tilt can easily be achieved by using the right analogue as a C-stick but the loss of dash and fast fall is a tad more problematic. Smash is meant for sticks and won't work with digital input. That said, the game nolonger accepts analogue triggers so that would be a valid mod to make.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Tell him to 1v1 him in a ditto match you use a 1st party controller and he use the PS3 controller.

I think it'll show him.

What's the big problem with it? D-Pad holds him back.

chrisall76

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chrisall76
3DS FC
2921-9185-8763
Well that's the thing, the whole purpose for his purchasing of this device is to SOLELY use the D-Pad and not any analog stick. To which he's going to such lengths to moddify consoles and controls so he can use a D-Pad on any controller.
Tell him use a Wii remote because that's basically what that is lol
Seriously though, ask him to try and use the wii remote for a few matches and see how limited he'll be.

Top Bottom