• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Modded Wii won't read Brawl disc anymore

pikajew222

Smash Rookie
I modded my Wii years and years ago, probably back in 2009. I softmodded it with the Brawl exploit. Mistake or not - I updated my Wii at least twice and it is now version 4.3U. It ran Brawl fine before modding. It ran Brawl fine after modding. I'm almost certain an update is the reason it won't play. The disc is brand new and the Wii won't read it at all. I know absolutely nothing about cIOS stuff, so if the answer lies somewhere in that realm, cool. Please educate me.

Not currently seeking methods of playing backups. Just looking to play Brawl off disc again... and finally try out Project M!!!

ThoseUpAirsThough

Smash Apprentice
The Wii hasn't got a system menu update since 2010.
Worst case scenario, your disc drive broke, which means you will need to get a new Wii, or somehow send your Wii to a repairman or repair shop and get that disc drive replaced. Best case scenario maybe, your Brawl disc is slightly scratched, which can be cleaned off using maybe a wipe or something.

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

wiis are notorious for having the disc readers struggle - with brawl in particular (its a multi layer disc)
the update wont have killed it, will just be a coincidence.

Best bet is to set up USB loading - send waffeln#0001 a message on discord for a guide to USB loading. Current guides are outdated and he has a WIP for the new method.

pikajew222

Smash Rookie
Thank you for putting together a quickstart guide!! Some of the stuff in there is out of date, but it was a massive help and got me going in an excellent direction. I can play Brawl again (YAY!!), but still can't launch Project M. The USB GX loader included in the AIO was too old to launch, so I couldn't use the pre-configured setup. The Project M app runs, but when I select Play, I'm taken back to the Wii System Menu. USB GX Loader is now fully functional on my Wii, but Brawl launches Brawl and I'd LOVE to launch Project M.

Another big THANK YOU to you waffeIn. If you'd like me to provide links to the current versions I found for the apps, I'd be more than happy to.

pikajew222

Smash Rookie
I suppose I rescind my last post. Ocarina successfully enabled and Project M is TOTALLY FREAKING AWESOME!! Score Yay Win Thanks

waffeln

Smash Cadet
Please tell me what's outdated about the quickstart. I assembled it like summer this year, so compatibility shouldn't be the issue: at most the AIO might not have the super latest GX

pikajew222

Smash Rookie
AIO means All-In-One, which is a misleading name for a package that doesn't include Brawl or the Wii Backup Manager. The Wii Backup Manager you linked to is extra old. Creating a Brawl Stick Section needs to be meshed with something like this: (ripped from fig2k4 on GBAtemp)

---

What You'll Need Section should include SD card, USB Stick and a Windows Computer

Download Latest Wii Backup Manager - Build 78 (on GitHub)

(the stuff you have in Section 3 about formatting the drive to FAT32 should be put right above the text under here)

Select the "Drive 1" tab.
Click "Drive" menu, select your drive.
Select the "Files" tab.
Click "Add" and select "Files..". Select your ISOs, CISOs, RARs, .wbfs in the dialog.
In the files list, tick all the items you want to transfer to the WBFS drive.
Click "Transfer" and select "Drive 1".
Done

If you don't have a Windows Computer - find an alternative Wii Backup File System here GBAtemp - WBFS Managers (GBAtemp forums)

---

The USB loader you put in is out of date and that's critical for a majority of things to function properly.

Section 6 should look closer to this:

Download Latest USB Loader GX - Revison 1268 [v3.0] (on SourceForge)

• Launch USB Loader GX.
  • Choose Brawl, and set these settings:
  1. Ocarina ON
  2. Hooktype AxNextFrame.
  3. SAVE, dont forget to save those settings.
  • Start up Brawl. Cross your fingers.
---

You have your stuff hosted on MediaFire, which is a slightly sketchy site with unreliable connections. ( The AIO download failed like 20 times in Chrome and I finally got it to successfully download in Firefox ) Everything you have in there is legal, so why not throw it on a Google Drive and make the .zip file public?

---

The guide you assembled made me super happy. I'm just hoping you could update it to max out the number of people that can benefit from it.
A thousand thanks waffeln waffeln !

waffeln

Smash Cadet
AIO means All-In-One, which is a misleading name for a package that doesn't include Brawl or the Wii Backup Manager.
Obviously i can't include Brawl legally. That would be an instant suicide move for the package and would also make downloading extra annoying because of it's size and because it would need even sketchier hosting because most normal hosts will likely remove it quickly.

The Wii Backup Manager you linked to is extra old. Creating a Brawl Stick Section needs to be meshed with something like this: (ripped from fig2k4 on GBAtemp)
It's not that old: It's a different app (not Wii Backup Manager at all). I've chosen this program because it is much simpler and more intuitive to use and there is no homepage for it that has a super ad-heavy (PUP?) download link that can be dangerous and annoying.

Also try finding Wii Backup Manager for Linux. Talk about maximizing the number of people who can benefit from it ;)

The USB loader you put in is out of date and that's critical for a majority of things to function properly.
The USB Loader GX i'm including is a solid version from 2018, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it and it doesn't have any issues when running PM or most other games normally to my knowledge. It's simply false that the most up-to-date version is critical. You're missing that the guide is a temporary substitute for the full guide i'm working on. With a USB Loader that i'm providing instead of redirecting to another page, i can bundle these items and already set the configuration for them. You don't need to change anything in this USB Loader GX in order to boot PM.

You have your stuff hosted on MediaFire, which is a slightly sketchy site with unreliable connections. ( The AIO download failed like 20 times in Chrome and I finally got it to successfully download in Firefox ) Everything you have in there is legal, so why not throw it on a Google Drive and make the .zip file public?
MediaFire is factually more reliable than Google Drive, which sometimes simply won't download anything and some other times be incredibly slow with downloads or temporarily down. The vast majority of other projects like Legacy TE host on MediaFire, so do i. You're the first one i'm hearing issues about the file being hosted on MediaFire - and the guide is very wide-spread by now.

That being sad, i'm happy it worked for you =)

Top Bottom