• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MMx2's TheoryBrewing Thread (Discussing Spacies?)

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
We need that Mario How to Play vid that can answer all our theoryqueries XP

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
His sword can stop them yes. this mu is all spacing and waiting. the fsmash is your best friend. BTW WHY ARE WE ONLY 40 AGISNT PUFF??? that mu is even i swear
matchup guide is pretty inaccurate
and I agree
but I think doc has an advantage against puff because of the pill's odd angles
doc vs puff > mario vs puff

j3ly

Smash Champion
he is right, mario is one of the fast characters. he is so **** fast lol. platform wavelands are the fastest way to move aside from upB. you can jump out of bair and uair and waveland on a platform to followup. waveland away to bait, towards to be offensive. thats pretty **** but dont be obvious against marth or shiek.

i think that we should discuss shield pressure and spacing, seeing as its useful to talk about. and when mario does it its so attractive.. im gnna try to upload somethin in a sec if connection lets me.

on a related point. if you hit somebodies shield with sh bair, then a very good option is for you to double jump out of that, and bair above them, again. this move has excellent spacing potential, and if not used predictably can apply alot more pressure when u got momentum. its not full proof, but effective. so a good opponent will adapt, but wont if you are **** about it.

stress on the importance off learning how to get players into shield, and when you can force that situation (ie an opening where you are 98% guaranteed to hit either opponent, or shield).
even more important, learning peoples habits out of shield.
perhaps of more importance, knowing all the situations well enough to be able to react to them quickly, with perfect tech skill, and quick reactions as to what % they are on.
but the most important thing.. the most important thing is spacing. what good is all that if falco is just going to shine you ooS? how are you going to pressure this situation if you get grabbed, or shined, or slapped.

if u dont space u lose momentum, but if you do space you sustain momentum and apply more pressure. you can use your tricks to get grabs, so many things. too many things. one thing to say about shield pressuring (and about mario in general really) is make use of auto cancels. in conjunction with these, late aerials. and instant aerials - space these out of grab range, or behind the opponent though.

another important thing is to run away, and try to confuse our opponent. consider this situation:

-we f-air our opponent, and but it hits his shield. Ofc it is perfectly spaced, and executed as late to the ground as possible. and the opponent cant do jack.
-we now retreat just a tiny bit, different for each character but out of their range. still inside bair wavelands range though. and we dashdance for a tiny bit. we wait for a reaction and punish, (last few frames of dash attack is excellent for grabbing marth) or we decide to attack more.
-space a bair against the tip of their shield, and waveland behind them. during the waveland, uair. you are now pretty much guaranteed to hit through their shield with SH nair, and you are behind em. they are confused.

you dont do this again. dont be obvious, we have too many options to operate in one game. unless your opponent is that predictable, in which case use the same strategy every time till they realise whats happening.

maybe instead of nair after the bair waveland, try a full hop dair. it autocancels and spikes shields. make sure u fastfall asap.

its all dependant on good spacing. perfect spacing sometimes. for anybody lost, these scenarios are dependant on the opponent being in shield, and for us to be spacing in such a way they literally cannot retaliate.

or perhaps you could scrap the bair waveland, and bair double jump bair.
bair double jump dair? DI it behind them, and it covers the jumping option. auto cancels too.
uair can be operated in a similar way, if you double jump out of sh bair. do uair asap, but also fast fall asap. the result should be a spaced mario hitting the edge of their shield with his feet on the final frames of the attack. his face is flat to the floor, but so long as no hitbox is out the move will auto cancel.

something i just thought of (more flashy than effective) - underneath a platform, bair the opponents shield. dj out, and FF onto the platform. isai drop through the platform, towards your opponents shield. when you are in range, double jump for a second time, and nair back onto the platform.

nair will auto cancel on most platforms, and should clip their shield. seeing as we auto cancelled, we are free to isai drop (or shield drop, 2 frames faster) through the platform, towards their shield with no lag.
on the way down, we can space bair/uair. these will also auto cancel! and are able to be spaced to a degree that neutralises most characters oos options, as well as being able to sometimes shield poke. always shield poke, if your spacing and reactions are that good.

we could jab at any point, run away at any point, bait a reaction and punish at any point (really good)... oh my god i wish i worked out spacing 6 months ago. but that would have been in direct breach of the smash-time continuum. im gnna try to upload a thing or two now byeeee.

and thanks for reading this whole post, if you did. no love to those who skimmed, and caught this sentence out of the corner of their eye. re-read it tho, theres no way to absorb or understand all that if it new to you.

mario has the tools to copy so many strategies that chars can do. his shield pressuring is similar to jiggs in a way, harder spacing tho.

ps. settle for a grab as often as possible!

so much can be said on this, for every single character. i hope i can promote some kind of progress with this post, instead of bickering. not that there has been any.

doc vs puff > mario vs puff
this. do this. find out who plays jiggs, and prepare this.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
after reading that post, and going on many other character's boards (cuz I usually end up stalking a low tier main like vectorman or Cosmo) I think Mario is officially the copycat character.
he can do a lot of what others can do
take the strategy for a falcon's missed knee offstage
they doublejump uair, right?
do a weak nair off the stage and then double jump uair. it works just the same, your uair just has a bit less knockback.
j3ly,I really like what you're doing with Mario's offensive capabilities with shield pressuring. I think this is what makes him superior to doc. doc is very defense oriented. Mario's speed on the ground makes him ****in awesome.
and also why his fox matchup is perty darn good
cuz they don't expect your speed
nobody does
the point of this post?
Mario is a copycat of sorts, and he can be used to fit your, or anybody else's, playstyle very well. I think the only one superior to this is fox/falco
oh and space
space space space
space

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Mario = Attack
Doc = Defense

/thread. j/k

But seriously, Mario is THE MARIO.

"A jack of all trades.
The master of none.
Possibly better...
Than a master of one."

We should discuss the general Mario styles to also help Bamesy progress w/ his FAQ.

I propose these Mario-Tropes:

Offensive
Camper/Bait n' Punish
Grappler
Counter-Attacker
Luigi-Style

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
my sheild pressure is pretty good. plus when u get a person on a platform you can do WHATEVER YOU WANT. there is no reason why you shouldnt get a combo or a kill after ur opponent lands on a platform.unless youre me, bcuz i screw it up all the time. you can pressure their sheild until it breaks...kinda. not really but you basically have complete control.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
it's possible for them to drop down below from the platform, from their shield. I've done it on accident a few times and it's supposed to be difficult, but doesn't seem that way to me

Top Bottom