• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG Poor Showing?

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
Armada didn't want to go
PP with the mental health issues
Leffen is deported
Mango = buster

not to mention Dreamhack Sweden is coming up, most players wanna warm up and save up for that maybe.

Only one with an invalid showing and still some amazing sets.

I don't see the problem here.

AirFair

Marth tho
There wasn't much hype for mlg. Considering there was only a 200 entrant cap I think, and they weren't streaming on twitch, I don't think people felt like going.

MLG needs to move their streaming to Twitch. Their own stream service is pretty well hated by everyone

Delta Chae

The Observer
I just assumed it was because MLG has kind of a bad rep with the Smash community after the disaster that was Anaheim 2014.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I just assumed it was because MLG has kind of a bad rep with the Smash community after the disaster that was Anaheim 2014.
Don't get me started about that tournament. After flying to LA last minute ($770) to spectate melee, I was told I could not spectate melee with a normal spectator pass, and that I must purchase a $250 VIP pass. I had just worked 60+ days in a row so the amount of money didn't cripple me, but it surely pissed me off. THEN, on day 2 I am told that the VIP pass does not allow me to spectate melee!! The VIP pass only gave you seating for the projector area (close to zero melee played here) during finals. Of course they weren't having my complaints. The guy I bought the pass from said there is nothing he could do, after admitting he was wrong and even apologizing. This was literally theft with a smile. I cannot STAND MLG. If it wasn't for a buddy of mine hooking it up with a player's pass he found ($60 pass), I would have been down over $1000 and not even allowed to spectate, lol.

Last edited:

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Don't get me started about that tournament. After flying to LA last minute ($770) to spectate melee, I was told I could not spectate melee with a normal spectator pass, and that I must purchase a $250 VIP pass. I had just worked 60+ days in a row so the amount of money didn't cripple me, but it surely pissed me off. THEN, on day 2 I am told that the VIP pass does not allow me to spectate melee!! The VIP pass only gave you seating for the projector area (close to zero melee played here) during finals. Of course they weren't having my complaints. The guy I bought the pass from said there is nothing he could do, after admitting he was wrong and even apologizing. This was literally theft with a smile. I cannot STAND MLG. If it wasn't for a buddy of mine hooking it up with a player's pass he found ($60 pass), I would have been down over $1000 and not even allowed to spectate, lol.
eSports everybody!

Kadano

Magical Express
Yeah, honestly, I wasn’t there but from my impressions watching streams and reading tweets, MLG seems like something we don’t really need. The Melee event was announced, what, 2-3 weeks before it happened? As far as I know, standard notice for majors is 3+ months.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
MLG really doesn't care about us. To them, melee is a hitch-hiker on their hipster sock on the path to money making.

EarthCrash

Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart
Mango = buster
He said the reason that he didn't go was because it was his son's birthday this past weekend.

The main reasons why Melee at MLG was pretty poor were:
  1. It was announced at practically the last second, so a number of people couldn't change their plans at that point.
  2. It got quickly overshadowed by The Big House 5, Beyond the Summit, and Dreamhack Winter.
  3. People still remembered the issues that occurred at MLG Anaheim last year and decided not to go for that reason as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom