• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG Anaheim Updates

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Major League Gaming's Anaheim tournament for Super Smash Brothers Melee will features a traditional double elimination format. @Solid Jake confirmed on twitter that the switch from the overly complicated system used in Starcraft II will no longer be used for Super Smash Brothers Melee. Smashboards detailed this system back in March and can be seen here.

Solid Jake also confirmed that the tournament would not feature "extended series" matches that MLG has used in the past. In an "extended series" players results from previous matches in the winners bracket would carry over into the losers bracket.

The Anaheim event features a $15,000 prize pool and is likely to be one of the three largest Smash tournaments this summer alongside CEO and EVO. Details on pools have also been released and they will be structured as follows:

Pools
  • 8 Players (6 Qualifier, 2 From Open Winners Bracket)
  • Best of 5
  • Matches will be played on stream Fri / Sat / Sun
  • 1st and 2nd Place go to Champ Winners Semis
  • 3rd and 4th Place go to Champ Losers 3
  • 5th and 6th Place go to Champ Losers 2
  • 7th and 8th Place go to Champ Losers 1
The MIOM blog details how this system might work - check it out here!

12 Qualified Players

There are twelve players who have already qualified for the final bracket at MLG Anaheim and they represent most of the best Super Smash Brothers Melee players in the world. Here's the list!
  1. C9 | Mango
  2. CRS | Hungrybox
  3. P4K EMP | Mew2King
  4. EG | PPMD
  5. Leffen
  6. Remen
  7. EMP | Armada
  8. SS | Soft
  9. Westballz
  10. VGBC | Amsa
  11. CT | Zero
  12. VGBC | Hax

Last edited by a moderator:

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
Damn, people really did play BO11 back in the old MLG days?

How did counterpicking even work back then

Djent

Smash Champion
This is good news. I've always argued that continuation sets are bull****.

One of the most objectively fair results of using double-elim. bracket(s) for the entire tournament is that every loss counts equally. A continuation set allows game losses from former sets to "carry over" to the new set.

For example, let's say I lose in WF 1-3. I then go on to win LF (yeah it's a stretch 'cuz I suck, but bear with me) and earn a rematch opportunity for GF. Normally, I'd have to win two Bo5 sets. But in the continuation set scenario, I have to win a single set. However, I have to take 5 games (3 for the new set + 2 to make up for my initial 1-3 deficit). Winning 5 games before your opponent wins 3 is arguably more difficult than say, winning 3-2 twice in a row.

Now let's say I lost to a different person than the one I'm now playing in finals. Instead of the continuation set, I get the normal win condition. Notice what this has done to the double-elim. format: it makes the form of my win condition dependent on the placings of other players. This is the same disadvantage that comes with the Round Robin format; exactly how much each loss matters depends on how that player did otherwise.

Except continuation sets don't have the inherent advantage of the RR format, which is a more accurate sampling of all possible player interactions. You're basically taking the worst of double-elim. (lower sampling rate) and RR (unequal weighting of losses) and combining it into one amalgamation of suckitude. I'm not sure whose brilliant idea this originally was, but I'm glad the decision has been reversed.

Last edited:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Remen....who is he? Everyone else I've seen, heard of everyone else, but not Remen.

Zenmaioh

Smash Apprentice
sounds like an amazing event! something i've never been clear on though is when pools are over, do the losers in pools get eliminated from the tournament or are they put in loser's bracket?

i feel silly for asking what im sure is a simple question. :/

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Remen....who is he? Everyone else I've seen, heard of everyone else, but not Remen.
Probably the new underdog we'll be cheering on this time. I can't say I'm not excited to find out who he is and how he plays.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
Meh kinda sad he didn't make it Bo7. EU has done that a lot and it has created some incredibly hype sets. For a tournament of this caliber I feel it'd be perfect. Doesn't matter though Bo5 >>Bo11 lol

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Probably the new underdog we'll be cheering on this time. I can't say I'm not excited to find out who he is and how he plays.
He's from Netherlands, he's the one who won the Japan MLG qualifier. aMSa placed 13th in that qualifier, btw, so I wouldn't say that Remen is an underdog if he managed to beat out all the Japanese competition.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
He's from Netherlands, he's the one who won the Japan MLG qualifier. aMSa placed 13th in that qualifier, btw, so I wouldn't say that Remen is an underdog if he managed to beat out all the Japanese competition.
Well, I meant underdog as in the guy who's not one of the recognized top players and who's appearing seemingly out of nowhere in the international scene, kicking ass. Can't say I've heard of him before though, not many people talk about the netherlands' scene besides the obvious players.

Last edited:

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
Good on the people who are already qualified. I like the list so far, especially seeing aMSa, Remen, and Armada. For whatever reason, I like the international players a lot and enjoy watching them play. Looking forward to this.

strawhats

Smash Master
Remen was the best player in Europe during the early years of the european smash scene from 2004, then EK took over in 2005 (later defeated by Amsah, who reigned from 06/07- late 2008> Armada's reign began thereafter). So essentially Remen is Europe's first champion, and also is a really good fox/falco main who still manages to take sets off of Amsah and Zgetto (the top 2 players in the Netherlands) I believe Remen beat Chu at Pound IV.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Remen was the best player in Europe during the early years of the european smash scene from 2004, then EK took over in 2005 (later defeated by Amsah, who reigned from 06/07- late 2008> Armada's reign began thereafter). So essentially Remen is Europe's first champion, and also is a really good fox/falco main who still manages to take sets off of Amsah and Zgetto (the top 2 players in the Netherlands) I believe Remen beat Chu at Pound IV.
Thanks for the info. I was there at Pound 4, but I didn't hear any talk about him while in the venue.

Top Bottom