• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLB

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I really want to see the Royals make the post-season, and I mean like post-season beyond the ridiculous one game playoff. I've never witnessed a good KC club in my lifetime and it is time. When the Tigers made the post-season in 2006 I never believed it would happen. The Pirates made it last year after a long drought. Now it is time for the Royals to do the same. KC does have a team that can compete this season.

I've always wanted to attend a game at Kauffman stadium. The waterfall is just amazing.

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
I really want to see the Royals make the post-season, and I mean like post-season beyond the ridiculous one game playoff. I've never witnessed a good KC club in my lifetime and it is time.
I agree, it would be really cool to see. Even when you just look at players like Moustakas, Hosmer, and Butler. Can you imagine a team with those guys playing at their full potential? And thats just those three! Perez is one of the MLB's best rising catchers and add a healthy Infante in that mix, that's one hell of a lineup. I see this team beginning to become a serious threat to the AL Central in the coming seasons.

Blakebtb23

Smash Apprentice
Lot's of AL Central people here, so I'll represent the White Sox. Our offseason has been great so far; almost every move has been great, and if most of the pick ups like Abreu turn out good, than our rebuilding process will be quick. I'm looking forward to this year, as we have a lot of young new and fun players to watch. We probably won't compete for the division this year, but we will definitely be better than last year. Hopefully, in a couple years, the Sox will be able to compete in the AL Central.

Alexo30

Smash Journeyman
Lot's of AL Central people here, so I'll represent the White Sox. Our offseason has been great so far; almost every move has been great, and if most of the pick ups like Abreu turn out good, than our rebuilding process will be quick. I'm looking forward to this year, as we have a lot of young new and fun players to watch. We probably won't compete for the division this year, but we will definitely be better than last year. Hopefully, in a couple years, the Sox will be able to compete in the AL Central.
Is Konerko still (playing?) on the Sox? God, I get hype everytime he steps up to the plate. One of my all-time favorite power hitters.

I'm a former Cubs fan though. :evil:

Last edited:

Blakebtb23

Smash Apprentice
Is Konerko still (playing?) on the Sox? God, I get hype everytime he steps up to the plate. One of my all-time favorite power hitters.

I'm a former Cubs fan though. :evil:
Yea, Konerko is back for probably his last year before he retires. He's been slowing down a lot over the last couple years, but he is stil, one of our all-time favorites. This year, he won't be a full-time starter, but will instead coach and mentor the young guys on the team. After he retires, he will hopefully get some type of coaching job with the Sox

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Oh man do we have reps from every ALC (well...minus the twins...poor twins) fanbase here?
awwww snap this will be a fun season

White Sox are one of my favorite teams to see the Tribe face; its always a good matchup, no matter how each team is doing that season. Plus, Giambi is a white sox killer ;D (lol the man is 43...has been invited back to the team....what a time to be alive!)

T

Trick or Treat

Oh man do we have reps from every ALC (well...minus the twins...poor twins) fanbase here?
awwww snap this will be a fun season

White Sox are one of my favorite teams to see the Tribe face; its always a good matchup, no matter how each team is doing that season. Plus, Giambi is a white sox killer ;D (lol the man is 43...has been invited back to the team....what a time to be alive!)
I don't mean this in a bad way, but the Twins (along with the Phillies) are one team I just...forget. Like obviously I know they exist but I just hardly ever hear about them so they just slip my mind until I actually think about it. Poor Twins :(

But yessss, this will be a very fun season. I'm also very interested to see the Royals face the Tigers. It was a very good season series last year, 10-9 against Detroit (as well as Chicago, and then the opposite for Cleveland), with the Tigers still being one of the big favorites to do some huge damage. And now with Infante on the Royals...

This is just going to be very, very fun. 'Course KC will go undefeated this year.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I don't mean this in a bad way, but the Twins (along with the Phillies) are one team I just...forget. Like obviously I know they exist but I just hardly ever hear about them so they just slip my mind until I actually think about it. Poor Twins :(
Ha ha ha! That is a strange coincidence you bring this up because I think the same way about the Twins as well. I seriously tell people the Twins are the most forgotten team in baseball, like how the Florida Panthers are the most forgotten team in the NHL, or how the Sacramento Kings are the most forgotten team in the NBA. In the NFL I don't think there really is a forgotten team. I had a friend in 2011 who went to a Tigers vs. Twins game and he described it as boring before mentioning who the opponent for the Tigers was.

I do like the Twins though. Minnesota is having some down years right now, but the Twins were almost always representing the AL Central in the playoffs for many years in the 2000's, or at least snagged a wildcard. The Twins could never get passed the Yankees no matter what unfortunately over the years. I can't recall if Minnesota even made it to the ALCS in recent memory. I think their last MLB championship was in 1991 against the Atlanta Braves. I was only 4 years old then and didn't follow baseball, but I saw game 7 of that series on Youtube and it was amazing! It could have been one of the best World Series's of all time the way the games were all close and went back and forth.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I think KC is legit.

Hope a giants fan doesn't waltz in here.... or else its on like donkey kong.

Go dodgers, still counting down the days.

anyway will probably give a prediction before the season starts, just need to watch the other teams.

I know the dodgers are gonna take the NL west though, no doubt. love the Maholm signing.

Oh and bye Jeter, he was one of the modern players I looked up to when i was a kid.

Last edited:
T

Trick or Treat

Ha ha ha! That is a strange coincidence you bring this up because I think the same way about the Twins as well. I seriously tell people the Twins are the most forgotten team in baseball, like how the Florida Panthers are the most forgotten team in the NHL, or how the Sacramento Kings are the most forgotten team in the NBA. In the NFL I don't think there really is a forgotten team. I had a friend in 2011 who went to a Tigers vs. Twins game and he described it as boring before mentioning who the opponent for the Tigers was.

I do like the Twins though. Minnesota is having some down years right now, but the Twins were almost always representing the AL Central in the playoffs for many years in the 2000's, or at least snagged a wildcard. The Twins could never get passed the Yankees no matter what unfortunately over the years. I can't recall if Minnesota even made it to the ALCS in recent memory. I think their last MLB championship was in 1991 against the Atlanta Braves. I was only 4 years old then and didn't follow baseball, but I saw game 7 of that series on Youtube and it was amazing! It could have been one of the best World Series's of all time the way the games were all close and went back and forth.
Now that you bring it up, I have yet to see an NHL thread here. I love baseball, and casually follow the NFL and NBA, but hockey is by far my number one sport. Lovin' the Bruins since 2006. Wonder if a thread would actually stay alive, though.

On topic, you're so right. I forgot the Kings, too, haha. I feel bad for the Twins. They're just so...irrelevant.

Who knows, maybe they'll be the surprise team this year. I almost wouldn't mind it if the Royals (and the Tigers too) missed out on the playoffs because the Twins out of nowhere took over the Central.
Almost.

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
Oh and bye Jeter, he was one of the modern players I looked up to when i was a kid.
Same here. Despite not being fond of the Yankees, I always respected Jeter. He always carried himself well and was a great role model for kids. I think you really have to respect someone like Derek Jeter. In a generation that has been plagued with steroids, it's always been players like him that made me maintain my faith in the sport. They proved time and time again that they didn't need to cheat to do these amazing things.

It's so weird seeing all of these players from my childhood retiring.

Speaking of respectable players, you know who I always thought never got the appreciation he deserved? Jim Thome. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but for someone who has hit over 600 home runs, his name never seemed to be mentioned with the likes of Bonds, Mcgwire, Sosa etc. And Thome never cheated!

Last edited:

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Ubaldo Jimenez is an Oriole, Brantley signs for another 4 years, and Frank Herrmann is looking to get back into the lineup after Tommy John Surgery

Wild times in Cleveland

edit:

also an adorable letter from skipper Tito Francona.
What a guy; such a great manager I am so happy he decided to come to Cleveland.

Last edited:

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Not yet. Assuming if we can get Tomlin off arbitration that he can get a spot if post surgery rust isnt a problem

we also signed a few new arms in the offseason, so hoping that pays off

T

Trick or Treat

About time the O's actually did something. I think it's a pretty solid move, too. They were really lacking in good starting pitching, and while Jimenez isn't exactly an elite #1 pitcher, he's still a huge improvement to what they had.

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
About time the O's actually did something. I think it's a pretty solid move, too. They were really lacking in good starting pitching, and while Jimenez isn't exactly an elite #1 pitcher, he's still a huge improvement to what they had.
I agree with this. The O's needed to do something. The only concern I have is I'd assume this move blocks Gausman or Bundy from getting a chance to be a regular starter this year. I think both of those guys will be really good in time.

Also just saw Homer Bailey just agreed to a 6 year deal worth $105 million dollars! What do you guys think about that? He had a decent year last year but for a lifetime 4.25 ERA guy at age 27...this seems a little much.

Last edited:

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Hoping Ubaldo stays consistent for you guys
We are sort of worried that he will falter without Callaway as his pitching coach (the dude is a freaking miracle for Cleveland pitching)

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
Hoping Ubaldo stays consistent for you guys
We are sort of worried that he will falter without Callaway as his pitching coach (the dude is a freaking miracle for Cleveland pitching)
Speaking of Cleveland pitching, I picked Salazar late in my one league's fantasy draft. I really think he could be a beast. Especially in the strikeout department.

By the way if anyone is still interested in doing a smashboards fantasy baseball league I'd be down to set one up!

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Speaking of Cleveland pitching, I picked Salazar late in my one league's fantasy draft. I really think he could be a beast. Especially in the strikeout department.

By the way if anyone is still interested in doing a smashboards fantasy baseball league I'd be down to set one up!
I'm so excited for Salazar. As a newbie to the team, he contended with Verlander in what i believe was his first big start. Only reason there wasnt more news about him last year is because Tito didn't let him pitch more than 6-7 innings or 100 pitches a night for a long time. He wanted to make sure he could be consistent, and i believe he could be one of the better pitchers in the AL, at least.

T

Trick or Treat

I hate to admit it, but I don't really care about Spring Training, or any other preseason in sports. I don't really know why, but meh. I just can't wait for the actual regular season to start. Couple more weeks.

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
I'm a Royals fan, and boy am I excited for this season, even more so than last season.

All I can say is that Detroit and the rest of the Central better watch out! I think KC is for real this time.
You guys put up a hell of a fight against us yesterday! Knocked Verlander around quite a bit. That was just all over a great game to watch. Was surprised old man Gonzalez got the game winning hit for us haha.

T

Trick or Treat

You guys put up a hell of a fight against us yesterday! Knocked Verlander around quite a bit. That was just all over a great game to watch. Was surprised old man Gonzalez got the game winning hit for us haha.
Ahh, both games were so close. I only got to watch the first 2 innings of yesterday's game, before work, and I got so frustrated when Butler hit into the double play. Any other result would've almost guaranteed at least one run.

Oh well, it happens. This is going to be an amazing division race for once. Good luck to you guys!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Ever since the White Sox started to suck, my love for baseball is dead. Nowadays, I just watch some relaxing golf matches.

Last edited:

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Man, Cleveland is finally starting to piece together a season. Slow start is gonna hurt us...but we are at least beginning to show some semblance of starting pitching

T

Trick or Treat

Why...

Why can't the Royals sustain an above .500 record.. ;_;

Also it'd be pretty cool to actually, you know, beat the Tigers once in a while...

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Idk what kip is doing
Brantley is always the best tribe choice, anyway

i mean last night
BRANTLEY THO
that walk off
my hero Dr. Smooth

PunkAaron

Smash Cadet
NNID
PunkAaron
Going up to D.C. in July and going to a Nats game, then I'm going to Baltimore to see the O's. Pretty stoked, I've only been to Atlanta, Miami (old ballpark) and Tampa/St. Pete.

ITT: Post ballparks you've been to!

T

Trick or Treat

You know what would be nice? If the Royals learned how to hit.

This was the same problem for us last year. Great pitching and good defense. Just can't hit a damn thing.

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
Going up to D.C. in July and going to a Nats game, then I'm going to Baltimore to see the O's. Pretty stoked, I've only been to Atlanta, Miami (old ballpark) and Tampa/St. Pete.

ITT: Post ballparks you've been to!
Ive been to quite a few. Philadelphia (old and new), Baltimore, Tampa, Miami (old), New York (old and new), and Pittsburgh. Hoping to make it up to Boston this summer and at some point I would love to get to see Kauffman Stadium. It just seems like an absolutely beautiful ballpark.

T

Trick or Treat

Oh, I've only been to Yankee Stadium and Fenway. Sooo exciting...

Top Bottom