• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mks Worst MU's ?

ep1c_marf

Smash Apprentice
hats up guys im a marth main that struggles with the mk match up and was wondering what his worst matchups are. I heard falco but are there any other match ups he struggles with? Thanks in advance !

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
hats up guys im a marth main that struggles with the mk match up and was wondering what his worst matchups are. I heard falco but are there any other match ups he struggles with? Thanks in advance !
I'm actually not an MK main, but Crouch Cancelling gives MK a rough time. Combine that with a large weight and a character that is still fairly quick, and I think that'll also hard counter MK besides just plain outspeeding MK (like Falco does). It seems that characters like Mewtwo, Snake, and Falcon would give MK problems.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Mewtwo is kind of tough, Snake... well you shouldn't get grabbed, otherwise its great, but Falcon isn't really that problematic. Mario and Pit can give MK some sort of problems, Falco can too but you have to play so precise so I wouldn't advice it as not-main. Same goes for Fox. Of course Diddy and Lucas don't do too bad but they don't really win the MU either. Link is doing great against mid-level MKs but starts falling behind then... There are also some underrated characters being able to annoy MK, for example Toon Link, Samus, but you are mainly building on lacking MU knowledge there.
In the end, probably Mario is the best choice because MK can't clank his fireballs, MK has the right fallspeed for Mario's combos, any grab will mean big percents and caping recoveries is a thing.
The matchup is by no means free or something, but Mario probably has a slight edge

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Mewtwo has big combos on Metaknight and his techrolls are so good that down-throw at higher %s will lead to hardly anything if DI'd correctly. His nair and fair are two combo breakers which force you to keep your combos basic and all in all up-air chaining->punish landing is hard because of his teleport->aerial. Edgeguarding is also tough. You often have an easy time grabbing him though because you can bait out tilts etc easily, and up-b kills really early. Really depends how good the Mewtwo is at this MU, I don't think MK is really worse in it but he has to play precise.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Maybe give mario 6:4? The SDi is real. You can't uair chain someone who can SDi your uair.

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
It is not very efficient to up-air juggle, you normally just nair instead of up-air or at least keep him juggled very close to the ground because with your high dash speed you can follow DI much better than with your average horizontal air mobility

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Mewtwo is kind of tough, Snake... well you shouldn't get grabbed, otherwise its great, but Falcon isn't really that problematic. Mario and Pit can give MK some sort of problems, Falco can too but you have to play so precise so I wouldn't advice it as not-main. Same goes for Fox. Of course Diddy and Lucas don't do too bad but they don't really win the MU either. Link is doing great against mid-level MKs but starts falling behind then... There are also some underrated characters being able to annoy MK, for example Toon Link, Samus, but you are mainly building on lacking MU knowledge there.
In the end, probably Mario is the best choice because MK can't clank his fireballs, MK has the right fallspeed for Mario's combos, any grab will mean big percents and caping recoveries is a thing.
The matchup is by no means free or something, but Mario probably has a slight edge
You'd probably have to play DEHF or Mango to lose to Falco. Teh gimps tho! Punish Falco hard and make sure not to make mistakes or get too aggressive. Samus probably does a lot better than Toon Link cuz floaty + projectiles + crazy recovery + great CC is a little too much. Not saying its the worst but probably up there with Mewtwo, Pit, and Mario as the MUs to look out for. Toon Link isn't that bad. Yeah he has projectiles but they aren't as good as Link or Falco. You can gimp and punish him fairly easy but I'm calling even or slight disadvantage for MK because Lunchables usually beats Infinity. I think R.O.B. might be hard because his crazy momentum shifts, good CC, great projectiles, great grabs, and surprising power. One big tip for MK is never go all out aggressive like Wolf or Lucas.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
I do not agree with your reasoning for Toon Link vs MK, I wouldn't say MK has a disadvantage. Toon Link can have problems dealing with simply shielding when opposed to projectiles and MK has an advantage in close combat, even or slightly advantegous in my opinion.
The reason Falco appears to be easier than he is (still I think MK has a little advantage) is that most Falco mains do not know the matchup and/or are not able to play solid risk/reward games (which is more difficult against edgeguard-heavy characters, I admit, but still you gotta know how to do it.)
I agree with Samus and sort of with ROB, but MK's anti-ROB-tools aren't used that widely (mainly crossup nair because ROB has terrible crossup OoS options, together with not falling for the jump back->side-b forward->fair tricks).

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Falco's lasers also, aren't as effective in this game . So many platform heavy stages to strike 2.

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Actually, MK has little problems with them compared to other characters (you can either sh over or duck under them). Still they are overall weaker indeed. One big and main advantage of lasers are that the opponent's projectile game gets destroyed (especially with JC reflector in PM) which doesn't harm MK at all. Annoying, but not that dangerous if handled correctly overall in that matchup.

GuruKid

Smash Ace
Link and Diddy would be the most difficult matchups for me as MK by far. Heavy projectile characters so troublesome to deal with.

Last edited:

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Link and Diddy would be the most difficult matchups for me as MK by far. Heavy projectile characters so troublesome to deal with.
It's hard to get in because of Link's range and projectiles, but once you do, you can combo him to death. It is hard, especially with a good Link, but I just wanted to say that because #saltycombo cuz dat's what's gonna go down! I dunno much about Deepy Kong but I can see why it's hard. The fact that you know so much about Diddy makes it more believable. So Link, Samus, Mario, Mewtwo, and Pit are the MUs most likely to make you switch. That means Toon Link and Mario would be great secondaries. Link too but less good.

Pizzarand

Smash Rookie
What about Donkey Kong? I've heard he was a bad matchup for mk but can't really remember specifics.

Ghetto Blush

Smash Apprentice
I'm not a Metaknight player but I think on paper Roy is probably a hard match-up. CC D-Tilt seems like a nightmare, and MK's weight is combo food for Roy. Edgeguarding him is also pretty tricky due to Roy's huge hitbox on his recovery.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Gotta go off stage vs Roy, one tap and he is a goner.

I think the mk could play around that move, they just have to be aware of it at all times. A tomahawk and good dash dance would go far against a Roy that wants to dtilt. I think properly excuted cross up areals would also help, since Roy's grab game is nothing to scarf at ether.

Once Roy gets a hit tho, he can just uair the **** out of you, so I would recommend places like BF. If he is uair Channing you, SDi and them doing to many, is your only hope. When he finishes uair'ing, he can nair, bair, nB, fsmash and one er two other kill options to finish you off.

Roy is also combo food for everyone, mk included, and down B rekts people like Roy.

Last edited:

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Gotta go off stage vs Roy, one tap and he is a goner.

I think the mk could play around that move, they just have to be aware of it at all times. A tomahawk and good dash dance would go far against a Roy that wants to dtilt. I think properly excuted cross up areals would also help, since Roy's grab game is nothing to scarf at ether.

One Roy gets a hit tho, he can just uair the **** out of you, mercilessly, so I would recommend places like BF. If he is uair Channing you, SDi and them doing to many, is your only hope. When he finishes uair'ing, he can nair, bair, nB, fsmash and one er two other kill options to finish you off.

Roy is also combo food for everyone, mk included, and down B rekts people like Roy.
Dood Roy shoood not be scarfed at all it's one of the universe's rules:troll:

Seriously though,:roypm:is more of an even matchup for :metaknight:because they both body each other if they play poorly. :metaknight:, despite being a fast faller is quite good at peeling characters off and range isn't much of issue because :metaknight:can compete and a good :metaknight:will stay in the air when approaching with crossup nairs like EZ said. I can see it being a slight advantage for:metaknight:though. Teh smileys tho.
What about Donkey Kong? I've heard he was a bad matchup for mk but can't really remember specifics.
Teh gimps tho! DK can probably zero to death MK if you let him get in so just punish and gimp. DK also can't do babies when MK is recovering too and MK can combo him with total ease and probably harder than DK. Slight Advantage for MK I would think.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
I consider the Roy matchup to be advantegous for Meta Knight, for techchasing, edgeguarding and neutral game reasons. Not a "free" matchup though.

Espi

Smash Journeyman
Mario is definitely MK's worst matchup. D-throw,D-throw,D-throw,D-throw,D-throw............. You get the point. Usually ends in Fair. But Without the Chain grab, I think it's pretty even as both characters have extremely good recoveries (Mario more though), and they combo each other pretty well.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Go to BF and then you get the better recovery! I think its a bit more in mario's fav b/c CG and fireballs tho

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Captain Falcon is pretty hard for me, personally. Ledge guarding is usually the only way I can defeat him, which in itself rarely ever happens because Falcon's meteor... Any tips?

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Captain Falcon is pretty hard for me, personally. Ledge guarding is usually the only way I can defeat him, which in itself rarely ever happens because Falcon's meteor... Any tips?
Here is an example for you, in video form.
Recorded this around the time 3.2 came out, give or take, so it's old. This should show you some of the things you can do to falcon, so you might do better against your buddy.
Here's a few things before you watch the video:
Fade away fair shuts down a lot of his approachs, especially if he is trying to space it like the one on the video
His tech roll isn't to hard to read, I'm just scrubleik
His grab is crap so hood spacing will save you from the grab, especially in type of situations I was in
You can down b whenever he over commits
I don't think you can combo a down b unless you utilt/uair or get tech chase
Fsmash can be spaced so you sit outside of his get up atk and smack him
Just like most of the cast, if they don't cc you can blow them up in neutral
You'll notice a lot of crap I get away with, is because of that reason
You should be able to pick a few other things from this video, I hope.

@ victinivcreate1 victinivcreate1 go to 2:05 there's one example of the edge cancel
It's not a great example tho

Last edited:

Taytertot

Smash Ace
Ive see sethlon beat many MK's with his roy, so maybe roy. Though sethlon is pretty much godlike. I have heard some MK's talk about the significance of roy's Dtilt to Uair combo being about to rack up to around 90% fairly easily, but again I'm not sure if it's just sethlon being really good.

TFerg

Smash Apprentice
Ive see sethlon beat many MK's with his roy, so maybe roy. Though sethlon is pretty much godlike. I have heard some MK's talk about the significance of roy's Dtilt to Uair combo being about to rack up to around 90% fairly easily, but again I'm not sure if it's just sethlon being really good.
I would say the matchup is slightly in favor of MK. I main MK and Roy, and while Roy can combo mk well and compete in the neutral, mk has more options in general and obviously can gimp Roy easily. 45-55 mk imo

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Ok that's fair. I dont know MK that well in PM so I'll take your word on it.
You didn't see that me and EZ already went over Roy?

Well, I've changed my mind on the Mewtwo matchup. Meta Knight kills him extremely early with up b and there are some vicious combos Meta Knight can perform on floaties. Teleport shouldn't be too much of a problem as you can just nair if he's going to attack you with it. You have to be very patient and a good reader to edgeguard. Down tilt near the ledge if you think he's going for the ledge and bair for hard reads. You have to have A LOT of matchup expierience to edgeguard a Mewtwo. Like, you need to know the distance of his up b and to stay away from his fair combobreaker. If you know his up b range, you can dash dance in and out until you hear woop and just nair him in the butt.

I'm also uncertain about the Pit matchup. Yeah he has a nasty projectile and a chain grab, but you can outpriorize him. Godlike spacing and movement and DI is what you need in this matchup. Up b sliding will help a lot. Not just on Dreamland and Skyworld but you have to know how to up b slide on all stages. For example, me and a Pit player were in Brawl percents on Battlefieldand we were playing safe and campy, but Pit could do it better. So at one point, I ran up to him; he saw the opportunity to arrow me and end the stock, so I short hopped and immediately b-reversed up b so I slided from the top platform toward him like a waveland. I slided off and baired him in the nuts because he had no idea what was happening.

My hardest matchups are Samus, Mario, and Link. I still haven't figured out the matchup very well, so if someone could give me some advice for at least Samus ( since my Falco and Captain Falcon can deal with Link and Mario respectively ), I'd really apprieciate it.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
I do have some (still viable posts) about Pit and a few others. They are in the matchup discussion thread. I think of the matchup as somehow even, if you sum all of the factors you named up.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Mewtwo and Ivy are now really bad matchups mainly because Meta Knight can no longer do rollercoasters as easily as he did in the past and he's less of a stuff-with-pressure character. Samus, Mario, and Link are still pretty bad though. I'm not too sure about Link anymore though.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Ivy has been easy for me so far and up b shows her no mercy

Top Bottom