• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MK's Approach Options

Leeroythuggin

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, so I've been thinking recently about how to do safer more reliable approaches with MK. So I was wondering what you all do. Obviously this is a matchup dependent thing, but right now my general approach goes like this :
-Sprint in
-WD back once I get close
-grab>down throw if they whiff an attack/ dash dance and fish for the down throw if they play defensively.
OR
-SHFFL in with a nair and hope they don't shield.
And that's the way I usually like to start matches. Do you all have any thoughts? How do you more experienced MK players approach against specific characters, or characters in general?

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
Dash in>Dtilt>Dash away

Dash in> RAR Bair> Dash away

Dash in> Overextend approach for the retreat read and grab or dsmash

These are all pretty solid approach.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
tl;dr. bait your opponent. punish their whiff. there are lots of different ways to bait. don't think that you need to attack to successfully bait. identifying whiffs is also a challenge, especially on faster characters.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
I don't like to approach : I just camp and wait for an opening. If they start spamming projectiles, I'll powershield. I'm a very passive aggressive MK : trying to stay as close to the fire without burning and then I go ham and combo them to death or a gimp. Gimpy MK... WHAT AM I EVEN SAYING???

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I like space da nair/cross it up and then like rising uair/tomahawk and slap them some more

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Do the GuruKid. Stand there and randomly IDC.

Funny thing it actually works. Guru beat Wizzy 2-1 doing just this. It was actually pretty sick.

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
CCing makes it worse than in Brawl, but it still is a great tool in neutral. I love to do it with dash forward->backward short hop->fair

Last edited:
Top Bottom