• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MK combo discussion (help wanted)

TKD

Smash Lord
EDIT: UAIR UAIR IS A COMBO VS FALCON AND SHEIK AT 20%, BUT NOT AT 15, WITH NO RAGE. IT'S SAFE TO ASSUME 20% AS A THRESHOLD IN AT LEAST MOST MATCHUPS (if not all of them). I haven't tested with rage (I know it does affect this since rage gives MK access to 0~death combos (at least from something very close to 0)

I'm pretty confident MK has the "cheapest" combos in the game as long as you possess the required execution. Something interesting about this character is that pretty much anything has a follow-up.

Instead of discussing DI-dependent and low % combos (that you're free to bring up if you wish), I want to begin by talking about:

UAIR > UAIR PERCENTS

The % at which uair comboes into uair is extremely important in every match-up. This is where multi-uair (as long as MK reaches with his next airjump, they continue to combo into each other) into shuttle loop is a combo; dealing an easy 40% damage or KO as a reward for simply landing either dash attack, downthrow or an uair (uair is a follow up from those, hence the huge/easy autocombos).

Can someone make a list, at least vs each top tier char, of the %'s where uair comboes into uair (this means they can't airjump/airdodge/aerial/footstool out; not the training combo counter %'s since they don't validate very tight combos -i think the combo counter stops stacking unless you have like 3 frames leftover, when we only need 1)?

I'd rather at least have no rage %'s, but mid and high rage would be appreciated.

Pleaaaaase keep in mind: if you aren't doing uair strings into upb already, or don't have the ability to buffer uair into airjump uair consistently (and adding fastfalls when necessary), results will be inconsistent or unreliable; so try to test thoroughly.

And just so you don't think I'm too mean or anything, my favorite low % staples:

Dshatk:
into utilt into utilt trap (punish w/grab/dshatk if they airdodge)
into utilt into upb (what doesn't lead into upb lol?)
into usmash into upb

Dthrow:
into dshatk (into utilt>utilttrap / utilt>upb / usmash>upb) VERSUS AWAY DI
into RAR/pivot dair spike (into either tech chase grab/dshgrb/dshatk or dtiltlock>grab/dshatk and proceeding follow-ups)
into usmash into upb

The best follow-up from a grab is probably dash attack; although it can only be executed vs away DI. IDK if anyone wants to confirm if full hop uair > footstool works vs other DI possibilities (at least vs fastfallers like fox/falcon which are the only ones that can probably ever be truly trapped by footstools -i'm pretty sure floaties can drift to the ledge, can't they?-).

So yeah discuss/help out (if you want to, I mean)!

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Uploading a video now of me pulling of uair combo's into shuttle loop on a human player. Will edit this soon.

Edit:

Last edited:

Alexander56

Smash Rookie
Hey not sure if this thread is a bit out dated and dead, but I'll post my discoveries here since there are some things you may have missed..

at 0%ish fthrow deals more damage potentially than dthrow, especially against heavies and fast fallers, since you can follow up with dash attack and utilt, or uair then fast fall utilt, then punish the jump if they escape.

on heavies and fast fallers uair does still combo as low as 20%, but you need to fast fall inbetween uairs in order to get your hit box positioned correctly. if you don't feel comfortable doing a fast fall you can always do another double jump and dair them, you can then chase their DI with another dair or maybe down b if they air dodge to the ground.

Uair > Uair > Shuttle Loop chains are more successful with rage, or when your opponent is between 35% - 75% (depending on character weight.

a good way to figure this out intuitively is to note that light characters will need to be lower percent and heavies will need to be at higher percents, (assuming dash attack or grab as combo starter also). if they are a fast faller you can probably add 15-20%.
then also subtract 3-7% for floaties (7 for jiggs 3 for marth).

example, fox (light + fast fall), 40%+15% = 55%
captain falcon (mid/heavy +FF) 50%+15% = 65%
jiggs (light+floaty) 35% - 7% = 28%

a general observation is that floaties are able to escape after 1 uair so you'll need to end your combo earlier.
heavies get trapped.

all of this is easier with rage effect,

also.. starting combos when your opponent is falling gives you more uairs in general.

if your opponent falls into an uair then they can get combo'd pretty hard, whereas if you dash attack or downthrow them they will have momentum pushing them up out of your combo, meaning you have to end your combo with up b earlier.

Mewtwo929

Smash Apprentice
A small village called......... Pallet Town!!!
NNID
Joestoes
My name is Joestoes. And I love the combos I can do with him. My all-time favorite is definitely this although the other character pretty much HAS to be at 0%, dash attack - up smash (uncharged) - u-air x2 - wait for airdodge - up b. Another one I can use at higher (than the first) percentages is dash attack - fair or bair (as many times as I can). His down b (without holding b) and side b are a very good horizontal recovery. And if they start to notice your dash attacks, GRAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He has an amazing b-throw, but I guess you can combo with his down throw as well (never tried it lol). Btdubs, I love his d-B, his f-smash, and his u-B (in air) as killing moves. His f-smash is great for killing at low percentages, for some reason they don't ever think it can reach as far as it can. My NNID is Joestoes if anyone wants me to show them the combos and/or show me their combos (I would LOVE that). Btw, his n-air is AMAZING at messing with them offstage. Do need to figure out the hitbox tho... His down air is good if you are over them at any time.

Zeriora

Smash Apprentice
As a Meta knight main, I've come about some hilarious wins with up air strings into a Up-b
The main combos i use are these, and yes, they are true.
Dash attack to up tilt
Down throw into multiple up airs "Can DI at higher percents"
Down throw into Up Smash, It works at very early percents.

Now, If someone misses the air dodge, and you get a up air on them, continue the up air string, It'll send them higher then a Down throw into an up air string. Then do an up b to get that final blow. I have multiple videos, But unfortunately, they are on my 3ds, so I haven't recorded them yet. One video shows me fighting a Mario, and killing him at 50%.

Usually, if I cannot succeed the UP-B i'll go for a N-air, since it has a decent knock-back and pretty decent damage.
Down-B to Side B was a combo I used alot when I was using meta knight just for fun. I still find it pretty decent, but the up air strings are a better decision.

Hope this gives you some tips.

Mewtwo929

Smash Apprentice
A small village called......... Pallet Town!!!
NNID
Joestoes
As a Meta knight main, I've come about some hilarious wins with up air strings into a Up-b
The main combos i use are these, and yes, they are true.
Dash attack to up tilt
Down throw into multiple up airs "Can DI at higher percents"
Down throw into Up Smash, It works at very early percents.

Now, If someone misses the air dodge, and you get a up air on them, continue the up air string, It'll send them higher then a Down throw into an up air string. Then do an up b to get that final blow. I have multiple videos, But unfortunately, they are on my 3ds, so I haven't recorded them yet. One video shows me fighting a Mario, and killing him at 50%.

Usually, if I cannot succeed the UP-B i'll go for a N-air, since it has a decent knock-back and pretty decent damage.
Down-B to Side B was a combo I used alot when I was using meta knight just for fun. I still find it pretty decent, but the up air strings are a better decision.

Hope this gives you some tips.
Very helpful, I will definitely give this a go. Thanks! :)

Top Bottom