• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

{=>Mixing It Up<=}

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Well we all know that TL isn't progressing much lately. And, imo, everyone's play is starting to drift together in style. So lets try to mix it up guys. I'm just gonna as some random mindgame stuff I use and maybe other people can contribute too if they have anything to add. (I'm not sleeping to write this, you guys better love me. lolz).
Oh btw, no tl;dr. Read this or don't. =)

Projectiles:
-Well the standard thing I see with a reverse JC bomb throw is a SHDA followed afterwords. Thats not bad at all, but it becomes predictable. SHDAs in general become predictable. Not that it is a bade tactic at all, but its just too predictable at this point. Rather then shoot 2 arrows with the same consistency (making it VERY easy to perfect shield), why not just SH, charge an arrow, and shoot it just as you land? Now this does a few things. Your opponent will be waiting for the first arrow when you jump up and start pulling back on the bow. The charging of the bow will throw them off and mess up their timing. Since a charged arrow travels faster, their reaction time should be limited. In terms of damage, 2 arrows in a SHDA do ~8 damage. A charged one does 7~8, depending on how good you timing is (basically, if you release the arrow just as you land, like the second arrow in a SHDA, it will do 8 damage). Also, something about doing this makes the arrow charge a significant amount when your about to land when shooting it (causing the 1 extra damage). You also don't have to be limited to shooting it just as you land, just shoot it at any point you want to. Now you opponent doesn't only have to worry about (perfect) shielding the two arrows, but also arrow velocity and adjust their reaction time. Making the opponent have to worry about you more is going to really help Toon Link's game.

-Thechene's thread game me this idea: When you SHDA, or SH Nair (stuff like that) while on a platform, our totally exposed if they approach from underneath/ at a lower horizontal angle. Shooting an arrow isn't going to do anything. You just have time for the start of the Zair to come out. Since the Zair auto cancels, its useless to guard you in this situation. So instead, after you shoot the first arrow (or whatever your doing), hold down during/before a Zair. It will allow you to fall through the platform so the Zair extends, allowing you some more safety.

-Lets say your playing a DDD, or someone that you always needs a bomb out for. You just reverse JC threw a bomb, now what? Okay you short hop, shoot the first arrow of a SHDA, and then jump while pulling out a bomb. Then continue and do whatever. Now this can kind of be twisted around for the better. If you have a bomb in your hand, short hop, shoot an arrow, and JC throw the bomb. This was taking from Lobos' idea in the back room.

-When your holding a bomb, and your Zairing, it usually follows up with throwing the bomb forewords. Then the wtfhaxbbq VietG style bomb to Usmash. But if they're not at killing percentages, then don't waste the Usmash. And if they know the bombs coming, they're going to shield. Without the ability to grab when holing a bomb (...curse you Brawl), we are limited here. If your at this level, you and your opponent both know your not going to Usmash IF you throw that bomb. So your sorta of forced into a retreating position. Therefore, Zair, retreat would make sense, no? So what you do is Zair, dash the other way and JS throw as soon as you can. It should be one fluent motion. Their reaction to you turning around and retreating will cause them to chase you, resulting in a bomb to the face.

-Sometimes (and for some characters specifically) opponents will try to jump over your SHDA. Now to prevent this, jump, shoot and arrow, then jump again just as your about to land and shoot another arrow as going upwards. You can also boomerang or throw a bomb.

-When your running away with a bomb, a reverse JC throw is pretty predictable. Your opponent just has to look for when you turn around. To throw them off, when your turning around, just let the animation continue, and JC throw at the beginning of your animation of running towards them.

-When a boomerang is returning to you, please please please take advantage of it. Don't use a move that has low hit stun and no follow up (as in no arrows, bombs). This may be one of the very few times in the game you have a better chance to grab. If they shield, you grab them. If they attack you, you get those "super armor" grab frames and get the grab. If they Spot dodge, the grab will last long enough to get them (please learn the timing for this, its very useful). Also, if your timing is precise, you can get most moves in without getting punished. DTILT! Yes, really. It has cancel-able frames, so you can Dtilt, let the boomerang come back, and Dtilt, all in succession. Its not limited to that though. You can do almost whatever you want, AS LONG AS YOU LEARN THE TIMING.

Recovering:
-throwing bombs at the level is the best way to keep your opponent at bay, but if that doesn't work for you, there's some other stuff you can do. When your recovering vertically down...as in like, you just got Ness back-thrown, pull out a bomb, drop it (the bombs falling with you), and charge and arrow. I was playing around with it. Basically you shoot the arrow if your opponent is jumping off the level toward you to gimp you. If hes trying to go above you, you can shoot that super-fast arrow and stop him in his tracks. And if you miss, its fine. Theres like no lag. If they're coming in front of you, arrow. If they're coming from underneath, shoot the arrow because you don't need it (and cuz you might as well if the guys right there). The bomb still hit them if they come from underneath. And you can just shoot an arrow and air dodge->Zair as a mindgame, and to catch the bomb. Adjust it to your situation.

-Getting out a bomb, let yourself fall a little down from the edge, and throw the bomb up so its at the peak of its height and is falling down right on the edge. This prevent even TETHER GUARDING. The only thing you need to watch out for is getting spiked while going down. But you don't need to worry about that if you air dodge.

-Boomerangs at the level never hurt your recovery. Keep the projectiles in balance and working for you,

Ledge Work

-If they're relatively close to the ledge: When your grabbing the edge, drop down, fair while rising, and use Nair so first front hit of it hits your opponent. This tactic is very hard for most people to deal with from my experience.

-If they're a little ways off the edge: with a bomb in hand, drop from the edge, throw the bomb forwards and get far enough past the edge to do a Zair (sounds tricky, but easier in practice if you get the timing). The bomb and Zair should hit the opponent at about the same time.

~IMPORTANT: DO NOT OVER-ABUSE! STALLING IS BANNED!~

-Just mindgames/ messing with opponents gimping options: Drop down, throw a bomb up while using you mid-air jump, use Up-B to grab the edge, drop, use Bair to catch the bomb, jump again, and throw the bomb forwards (there's a certain amount of time you have to wait until you can throw the bomb without doing Fair. Learn the timing.). It seems pointless, but if your up against someone trying to predict your moves to get an easy kill, it should help.

...*slaps self to stay awake*
I'll put more stuff later...
add....input....ZZZZZ

WHY THE HELL DO I HAVE HICCUPS?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

iRjOn

Smash Lord
I will helps you Sasuke When I'm not playing TOS II lol

And considering my mindgame thread was like epic fail your name being the OP will make this thread pwnage!11!!!11one!!oneoneone111!!!!11!!!111!one!

Cloud Cleaver

Smash Journeyman
It seems to me like Tink's air game tends to become predictable. It's always either a bair chain or a SHFF'd nair. Sometimes doing a dair right in front of their face has a spacing/OMG what the crap effect, and even a short hopped uair is good for mixing.

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
It seems to me like Tink's air game tends to become predictable. It's always either a bair chain or a SHFF'd nair. Sometimes doing a dair right in front of their face has a spacing/OMG what the crap effect, and even a short hopped uair is good for mixing.

I don't know about you, but that is not all that my TL air game consists of.
I tend to throw out projectiles, hold a bomb and do a zair. Ill string bairs, use nair. Occasionally a short hopped dair works well.

One of my favorite things to do is get them in the air and uair a lot so they begin to "predict" my Uair coming and air dodge. I then change it up and wait for them to air dodge and fall with them and at that point I have my choice of any aerial that i can hit them with when they come out of their air dodge.

One of my favorite things to do with dair I don't see used a lot is to hit them with it. After the first hit you can hit them a second time which most people opt out of doing. I notice that when you hit a lot of people on the ground they just hold their shield so you bounce up. Most don't expect you to go in for the second hit and unshield or they don't notice that their shield has been depleted enough that you will hit them anyways.

If you get them mid air you can hit them twice and then get a bair in directly after the second hit.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
IMO, I don't think that TL is becoming limited to one style. TL is a very versatile with his options, so I when watch some of the other TLs out there and they have a some tactics they tend to focus on and some they downplay because there are quite a few to consider.

Like with all fighters the more "inexperienced" players would mimic the known good players based on more obvious traits. So I see the same SHDA, Bair, and Zair questions resurface once in a while. Since Brawl isn't so obvious with "skills" the way to get good is with the mind games, which you are trying to get at. That's my opinion on that.

Anyways...

Interesting projectiles mind games. I personally work heavily with bombs and use arrows and the boomerang once in a while, but it could just be one of the tactics I downplay. IMO these projectile patterns would work more for bigger, slower members of the cast such as DDD and DK and not so much on the faster members or ones with reflectors.

I'm a bit thrown off about the why do a Zair through a platform after a SHA or SH Nair when you're on a platform because I'm thinking the opponent would be aiming to come right under your with suitable aerial or a hyphen smash. I'm thinking just second jumping pulling out a bomb would give you the safety options you need. But I could be misunderstanding the situation.

For people aiming to jump over SHDA you can simply throw the boomerang and aim it straight down in the beginning so it starts off going straight up to begin with. Even more if you aim it up. Odd, huh?

My thoughts on ledge patterns like those are they shouldn't be illegal stalling because you would be open to stage spikes and some characters have moves that have the range to catch you when your hovering at the edge (Snake's Utilt).

Ledge games like that in the beginning use to be a problem because the mechanics of the Brawl were still new. But now higher level players would know how to deal with those patterns and force your off the ledge or you'll get punished. This just helps separate experienced and inexperienced, competitive and casual, good players and scrubs.

sasukebowser,

I hope I'm not coming off as I'm criticizing your guide. I'm trying point out that there are times where you shouldn't just spam these options and you have other moves in your arsenal to mix in. I understand you're trying to emphasis mind games and options, but I think people may not be catching that so that's what I'm trying to get at.

Overall I think it's a very good projectile guide.

On the topic of TL aerial predictability...

Also, I think every character has a predictability, but it is the options they have and how they differ from one another which makes a character that helps the mind games. Some of you stated some of TL aerial options already (I personally very rarely do a Dair), but you need remember that they attack in different spots and put you in different positions. Zair puts you in front and is ideally spaced to avoid being in punishment range, while Bair is good for attacking your opponent when they are facing the opposite direction to create difficulty for punishment. These two options are predictable? Yes, of course, but they are so different that it's hard to punish especially if your opponent is in the wrong position. And there is no middle ground.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
IMO these projectile patterns would work more for bigger, slower members of the cast such as DDD and DK and not so much on the faster members or ones with reflectors.
Its not limited to specific tactics, I'm trying to get our community as a whole to contribute general less predictable methods of play style. If this only works well on certain characters, thats fine. Then we'll just make stuff that would help trick opponents using other characters.

I'm a bit thrown off about the why do a Zair through a platform after a SHA or SH Nair when you're on a platform because I'm thinking the opponent would be aiming to come right under your with suitable aerial or a hyphen smash. I'm thinking just second jumping pulling out a bomb would give you the safety options you need. But I could be misunderstanding the situation.
That also works. It all just depends on the situation really.

For people aiming to jump over SHDA you can simply throw the boomerang and aim it straight down in the beginning so it starts off going straight up to begin with. Even more if you aim it up. Odd, huh?
Sure. But then they can see you throwing a boomerang. If your already shooting the first arrow, they're going to think you just doing a SHDA. Then jumping again throws them off.

sasukebowser,

I hope I'm not coming off as I'm criticizing your guide. I'm trying point out that there are times where you shouldn't just spam these options and you have other moves in your arsenal to mix in. I understand you're trying to emphasis mind games and options, but I think people may not be catching that so that's what I'm trying to get at.
Not at all, just say what you thinking and I'll be totally impartial. I'm not saying to spam any options, I'm trying to get the community to refrain from doing that. Instead of the very old SHDA, that every character board learns to counter when having they're Toon Link match-up discussion, we should do things that are "out of the ordinary". Our play shouldn't follow consistent patterns or that become predictable at all with actions that lead to other actions in our play.

Umm I guess thats it.

Hyro

Smash Lord
It's all about the midair jump and fullhop jump. Using them will let you ****. Wait for my combo video $_$

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
It's strange but I never see Toon Links using empty shorthops to space themselves. It works well when you feel like you're getting owned, especially against Marth and MK who just out range or put the pressure game on really well. MK really punishes Toon for using projectiles at close range, and this mix up option lets you take advantage of TLs hookshot when going for the shield grab.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
sasukebowswer,

Alright, I misunderstood the "jumping over the SHDA" situation. My suggestion would be more for against people who will predict the SHDA and try to jump over and you would predict that and throw a boomerang downwards then SHDA.

Hyrulian_Royalty,

Elaborating on what I think you're getting at, I have to agree. I think some TL players are not utilizing their jump enough to expand TL's options. I understand that there are characters with limited (2) jumps, where you have to worry about saving your second jump handy if you get knocked off the edge, but TL isn't one of them. TL can take it high into the air quickly which makes him very hard to catch and punish and he has a very good recovery to save him if he gets knocked off the stage after using his second jump.

vanderzant,

Do you mean SH Air Dodge to get some space? An empty SH would be more for faking adding to the mind games not for spacing, IMO.

MK's pressure is ridiculous. It aggravates me when I watch a match with MK in it. Marth isn't broken bad, though, so I respect that pressure from him.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
vanderzant,

Do you mean SH Air Dodge to get some space? An empty SH would be more for faking adding to the mind games not for spacing, IMO.

MK's pressure is ridiculous. It aggravates me when I watch a match with MK in it. Marth isn't broken bad, though, so I respect that pressure from him.
Yeah I think "spacing" wasn't the word I was looking for, but "mindgame" (although very general) sort of explains it.

From videos I've seen and my own experience, characters like MK have no problem rushing straight through TLs projectile game with little risk to themself. By shorthopping (instead of the expected zair) you can move TL around to "space" yourself from the expected SH Fair or Tornado, and punish appropriately.

This allows you to play reactively towards your opponents actions, rather then just throwing out mindless projectile and zair spam that MK knows how to handle. Obviously this doesn't work all the time (and probably shouldn't be used that often), but it is a nice "Mix up" option that seems pretty viable.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Well me and my bombing style have once again been slapped i nthe face. As it is still rare to see people who are gods at it like VG, it is still predicatable when it comes to me which is why I'm trying recently to throw in some generic combos that everyone knows about so I wont be as predictable. I'm getting better at the Bair combo and finishing it with a Dair. I'm now picking up Zair and working that in so I dont think I got a problem... until I run into sudai for that goggle match -_- *slaps self* gotta stay pmped and positive.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Bombing style? If you play Link or Young Link in Melee the limits of bombs are pretty much the same so you just have to build on how they hit. Brawl's fighting engine also hinders spamming bombs. I mean I spam bombs 90% in matches before and got it diminished to do only 2% damage. Those were some long (and annoying to my opponent) matches.

Yeah... Zair is very useful. It's real weakness is that it has weak shield stun and you can't FF during a Zair. No biggy though. Still hard to punish and improbable to punish if your opponent can't point point what exactly you're going to do.

Personally, I worked a lot with Bombs and Zair in the beginning in order to understand it's properties, uses, and limits. So it's good that you focused so much in it in a way. This way you understand it's properties and see how you can mix it as you work with other attacks.

IMO, finish a combo with a Dair really only works against scrubs. It's pretty easy to DI out of Dair's range in a Bair combo. I mean the best way to finish a Bair combo is with...with...a final Bair. TL's Dair is "bad" because it dives all the way down. I much rather have the old Young Link's Dair from Melee.

You're right about one thing, TL players need to break the habit about sticking to one "style" (unless it works) and try to mix up all their options in order to keep their opponent guessing. As a side effect it will help TL keep his attacks refreshed to deal as much damage as possible per hit.

BKrkr

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5303-3831-5621
Here's something I use a lot that I noticed you guys don't: spin attack on the ground when the opponent is spot dodge spamming. It shouldn't be spammed to the point it gets predictable, and is then shielded resulting in a smash attack, but it can be a game changer (as I've seen lately with matches vs. a good Wolf.)

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
It's possible to block the last few hits of the Spin Attack and get punished. But you're right it can be useful if randomly toss in, but the best bet to punish spot dodges are the Jabs. Overall they do about the same damage, the first two swings are "cancelable" if need, and each swing of the jab will count for individual hits helping refresh your other attacks.

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
Yeah spin attack on the ground is really good, and they don't expect it alot of the time.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
._.

Being easy to DI out of doesn't make it good.

Even if they don't SEE it coming, it lasts long enough for them to do something about it.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
Overall they do about the same damage, the first two swings are "cancelable" if need, and each swing of the jab will count for individual hits helping refresh your other attacks.
This reminded me of some questions I've been meaning to ask lately. In some other non-tl thread I read that when other characters "jab cancel" (90% sure it was talkijng about Ike) they "shield" the second jab and follow up with a tilt/dsmash/etc. I always thought jab canceling just meant waiting a tad longer after the 1st/2nd jab and using the desired attack. So my question:

1. Is it possible/faster/better to "shield" the second jab with Toon Link when you want to use a tilt instead of the third jab?

Thanks in advance

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
When you Jab Cancel you want to tap Shield or Down the first or second jab. What this does is reduce the frames where the game will register the next "A" input as Jab. There is still timing required, but Jab Cancel break up the jab sequence faster. Jab Cancel is more of a Jab Lag Cancel.

It's easier to understand if you do it. I use down because I find it more of a natural execution.

Just go into a game and tap A, A, pause, A. Change the timing of pauses to see how long you have to pause before you can start the first Jab swing instead of the third jab swing. Now do the same thing again, but tap down for the Jab Cancel when you pause. Notice how much less pause you need when you Jab Cancel.

Jash

Smash Lord
Sasuke, the only reason i am saying this is because you seem like a good Toon Link player and it seems you know what your talking about. I think you are making a big mistake of putting a video of this thread. Write it down, and keep the rest to yourself, if they don't get it too bad. Just telling you from experience.

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
Sasuke, the only reason i am saying this is because you seem like a good Toon Link player and it seems you know what your talking about. I think you are making a big mistake of putting a video of this thread. Write it down, and keep the rest to yourself, if they don't get it too bad. Just telling you from experience.
Thats a great way to not advance the metagame of TL.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
It does discourage TL's advancement as a whole, but what he's trying to get at is posting it for reading is enough. The higher level TL players will be able to make out what points you would be trying to get at. Making videos and being extremely detailed may be exposing TL's "secrets" too much and may be disadvantageous for the TL community when other mains happen by the topic looking for TL weakness and their mind set.

At the same time as you can see when I post my advice are very detailed and long so a lot of people will over look it because they want a simple answer to winning. So it would result in a waste of effort and time. A lot of love is put into my words yet only a few would see my affection. :p

I personally work with exploiting others' weaknesses, while covering mine and avoiding others strengths while emphasizing my own. Eventually people will know how to expose your character's weakness so it's better to know what they are and how to deal with it.

For example, few months ago a lot TL players, known and unknown, were complaining about KOing with TL, but now you see that it comes up once in a while. So obviously people have been able to find ways. People who have been able to KO consistently like myself will answer people who occasionally post this question what move to KO with, but won't go into detailed about it because people don't want to read the details. They just want a simple answer. I think Santi's topic on helping newcomers with how to KO with TL was one of the better topics, yet people let it drop. Now we got all these topics that don't really talk about gameplay. Shame.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Here's something I use a lot that I noticed you guys don't: spin attack on the ground when the opponent is spot dodge spamming. It shouldn't be spammed to the point it gets predictable, and is then shielded resulting in a smash attack, but it can be a game changer (as I've seen lately with matches vs. a good Wolf.)
I actually have my tap jump off for that purpose. Redson loves to roll around and I find the spin attack a great counter for that and a good follow up for racking up damage i na combo.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I see what your saying Jash (and Impact =]). I didn't think of it like that, very good point. No vids.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
sasukes i found the arrow charge to be a great mixup to shda. This thread rocks but needs moar vids.

Ok time for a vocabulary lesson. What does SHDA stand for. just from deductive reasoning I'm guessing that SH stand for short hop, if I'm right just tell me what DA means(my guess is Down Air >.>)

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Is this a fad or something? haha
People love adding S's to my name. xD

I think Asdioh was the first one to do it.

The other stuff
Its not more about them learning the specific actions as it is about them learning the game mechanics for themselves. Putting up a video and being like "ok, make it look like this!" , makes it not exactly "easy" for them, but it makes it less about learning the game, and more about learning the AT or whatever.

Some things can very clearly be understood through vids, like certain things in match-ups.
But things that are purely for advancement need to be learned in your own way, and while a vid helps "show" how to do it, it doesn't let you have the "feel" for it.
Does that make any sense?

But whatever, if it becomes too much for some people, I'll explain in greater detail. If that doesn't work, I'll try a vid and see how that goes.

Edit:
I don't mind at all. ^_^
|
V

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
Yes that makes sense Sasuke. I get where you are coming from and it is a good point.

As for the S, I haven't actually examined the spelling of your name I guess you would say. I know in a show I watch there is a character named Sasuske so I just type that naturally :p Sorry.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
When you Jab Cancel you want to tap Shield or Down the first or second jab. What this does is reduce the frames where the game will register the next "A" input as Jab. There is still timing required, but Jab Cancel break up the jab sequence faster. Jab Cancel is more of a Jab Lag Cancel.

It's easier to understand if you do it. I use down because I find it more of a natural execution.

Just go into a game and tap A, A, pause, A. Change the timing of pauses to see how long you have to pause before you can start the first Jab swing instead of the third jab swing. Now do the same thing again, but tap down for the Jab Cancel when you pause. Notice how much less pause you need when you Jab Cancel.
Thanks Khai!

I jab cancel the first way you mentioned all the time, but I just never knew that it can be sped up by tapping shield or down in between. I'll defenitely try this the next time I get on my Wii.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
And he hopes to beat me in a goggle match. <.<

C'mon, SHDA's been around for ages.
-_- ok so I admit I'm a total n00b. It wont kill me. besides I still got my determination to get those goggles. Heck I know for a fact I am the most hated person on Smash boards. though not deserving worst in state like redson which is totally irrelavent to what we are talking about. :urg:

TLMarth

Smash Ace
What about throwing the bomb up when the opponent is shielding, then grabbing them, then throwing them into the bomb? :D
Also does anybody bomb pull to arrow anymore?
Or bomb throw to arrow?
Or bomb throw to nair?
And using a full jump for more space to do stuff?
Full jump to boomerang + arrow ftw
and bomb + boomerang

Ok time for a vocabulary lesson. What does SHDA stand for. just from deductive reasoning I'm guessing that SH stand for short hop, if I'm right just tell me what DA means(my guess is Down Air >.>)
>.>
Lol I know you were answered but
>.>

Bomber7

Smash Hero
lol I used to use that first technique in meele. -.- truth be told like 2 days after I thought of that it turns out when I was wiki-ing meele characters, that move was posted on there under Link's profile.

Also I like Fairing into a bomb. The reason why I bomb is becasue it gives you many windows of opportunities and keeps your opponent guessing, though I am guitly of becoming predicatable in Brawl. Also bombing stuns your opponent which works just as well =D

I really dont use my bow that much, I have a long way to go with becoming a balanced TL player it's just Down be is second natured to me lol. though I have started to get more involved in technique research and I'm trying to mix it up some. Like recently I picked up Bair, which I'm getting to get quite decent with it, along with Zairs so mindkill my opponent.

TLMarth

Smash Ace
Lol arrows can be fitted almost everywhere
Though you have to be careful with characters with reflectors.
Mindgamez.

Top Bottom