• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Missles or utilt for edge guarding?

Spazzy

Smash Apprentice
What should be used for edge guarding? For me, I usually just waveland platforms and spam missles. Should I rely less on missles and more on utilt or just switch it up in general?

Litt

Samus
What should be used for edge guarding? For me, I usually just waveland platforms and spam missles. Should I rely less on missles and more on utilt or just switch it up in general?
There is an optimal choice for every situation, dont be so ignorant that you think you only have 2 edgeguarding options, There is a way to use nearly every move samus has to edgeguard your opponent, you just have to recognize the correct situation and apply them accordingly

Morgue

Smash Cadet
There is an optimal choice for every situation, dont be so ignorant that you think you only have 2 edgeguarding options, There is a way to use nearly every move samus has to edgeguard your opponent, you just have to recognize the correct situation and apply them accordingly
Barbie is correct, there are plenty of different methods of edgeguarding beyond missiles and up-tilt. It really depends on the situation, location, stage, match-up and confidence.

Narpas_sword

we cant tell you what you feel versus an opponent we don't know playing a character you havent mentioned...

the easiest to edgeguard is with everything you can.

Litt

Samus
You said confidence, so is one easier than another? Which one would you think is easier to edge guard with?
Stop looking for an easy or a single anwswer, you are not going to find it. Learn this game, become a better player and learn to adapt first and foremost to new situations or react to old ones. If what you are doing isnt effective, try another option, if all else fails, you know you dont have a better option and need to back off, or find a different way movement wise to do your option. ECT... if there was this master book of secrets held by M2K, HBox and Mango... we would have learned the one best option for every situation and be the best in the world... but guess what bud, it take a lot more than picking one best option and continually use it to be good at this game. You want broken combos with one answer for any/everything, go play 64, where DI does not exist, and you cant tech off walls.

Morgue

Smash Cadet
@ Spazzy Spazzy

In terms of flat out 'ease', no, there is not method that is easier. When I said confidence, I simply meant, which you feel more comfortable with in a tight situation.

As a quick example, you have stage and tourney jitters and you're in SF or GF. You don't know anything about this player and haven't had a chance to watch his matches in the tournament. Do you stick with your style's method of edgegaurding, or do you try some new things that you haven't had much practice with and don't have the timing down?

I am sure most would agree that they would be more comfortable doing what they do best; unless they're from Milwaukee like me and go for what is most fun.

`Captain

Litt

Samus
@ Spazzy Spazzy

In terms of flat out 'ease', no, there is not method that is easier. When I said confidence, I simply meant, which you feel more comfortable with in a tight situation.

As a quick example, you have stage and tourney jitters and you're in SF or GF. You don't know anything about this player and haven't had a chance to watch his matches in the tournament. Do you stick with your style's method of edgegaurding, or do you try some new things that you haven't had much practice with and don't have the timing down?

I am sure most would agree that they would be more comfortable doing what they do best; unless they're from Milwaukee like me and go for what is most fun.

`Captain
Stop being ignorant again... every match up has different and or more effective ways to edgeguard

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
@ Litt Litt , that's still irrelevant. He's saying do the best option you're comfortable with.
It's like a Fox trying to shinespike another Fox. Even though they've got time to jump out and shine their opponent's upB, they grab the ledge and shines with invincibility even though their opponent can tech the shine. Jumping out would be the better option, but as they're not confident they choose the easier but worse option.

Narpas_sword

I'd say do the harder better option. Even if you're not confident.

No way to get confident unless you talk to a few girls and accept the rejection try the harder edge guard under pressure.

Litt

Samus
@ Litt Litt , that's still irrelevant. He's saying do the best option you're comfortable with.
It's like a Fox trying to shinespike another Fox. Even though they've got time to jump out and shine their opponent's upB, they grab the ledge and shines with invincibility even though their opponent can tech the shine. Jumping out would be the better option, but as they're not confident they choose the easier but worse option.
Umm that is not the worse option, if the fox positions the shine well enough... you cant tech it. And again, every situation calls for a different ledge guard, and when you are playing competent opponents in tourney, they will have been exposed to a majority of the ledgeguarding options your character has at their disposal. So you really will have to choose the right one for the right situation as I was saying and stop being so ignorant that only 2 options will work, if you sit there doing up tilts... Very tech able btw... a good opponent will just angle their recovery as to not get hit by it or perfectly sweet spot the ledge... which you as a player have to recognize and steal the ledge before they sweat spot instead of actually trying to hit them... recognizing adapting and implementing, yes there is always a best way to ledge guard someone, but chances are they will be thinking the same thing and you need to be creative or smarter to win.

Morgue

Smash Cadet
Barbie, I hope in person that you are much nicer than your posts make you seem, because when I read your posts, you just seem angry all the time. Some of us may be discouraged from even responding to posts if they are that blunt. Is this not a friendly community?

Lets discuss why his methods of edgeguarding aren't always the best solution instead of badgering each other over what is the best method.

Wavelanding platforms:

@ Spazzy Spazzy , do you simply use wavelands in conjunction with missiles, or are you referring to wavelanding off platforms to fall and grab ledge? Or perhaps do you mean something else entirely?

Spamming missiles:

To me, this only seems good when your opponent is sent high and far off stage. This method of edgeguarding, based on my experiences, isn't a good idea for any mid-height opponents off-stage because I would assume they would FF under the super missile threat zone and recover from underneath and sweetspot the ledge.

What do you guy think?

Spazzy

Smash Apprentice
@ Spazzy Spazzy , do you simply use wavelands in conjunction with missiles, or are you referring to wavelanding off platforms to fall and grab ledge? Or perhaps do you mean something else entirely?
I usually short hop to a platform, then waveland and while falling off the platform I do a MC then I wavedash to a shorthop and repeat the process. I will have a video of it soon.

Morgue

Smash Cadet
I usually short hop to a platform, then waveland and while falling off the platform I do a MC then I wavedash to a shorthop and repeat the process. I will have a video of it soon.
So in conjuction with missile spam. I myself am not proficient at shorthopping at will, nor am I the best at wave dashing/landing but I am still going with what I said earlier. Missiles are generally only useful as an edgeguard when they are high and far. I myself tend to chase them at mid-height or low and throw a Nair (sometimes reverse following a waveland off the stage if they're very close to the stage). Morphball Bombs can mess up some Marths too, if added with some timing baits.

Also, if you have a good learning/teaching environment with your everyday smashers, try experimenting with a whole slew of different options. I'm not saying you need to edgeguard 'this way' or 'that way'; but instead try to come up with things you wouldn't normally think of, or things that might catch your opponents off gaurd. You will find that some things work better against different characters than others.

Last thing, there are other threads that go in depth against specific characters and what they recommend doing. Hope this helps.

`Captain

Narpas_sword

I would assume they would FF under the super missile threat zone and recover from underneath and sweetspot the ledge.
This is exactly WHY you fire the missiles.
You've just cut their options down to recovering from below.

Now depending on their recovery move, you can either challenge it with Nair, or Utilt, Fsmash or a plain edgehog.

You're not thinking 4th dimensionaly.
It's not about a move that an kill them and that it, it's about cutting down their options till they're at a point where you're safer to take a bet on what will work.

i.e. you're not playing Rock Paper Scissors,
you're playing Rock paper Scissors, after cutting off the pinky and ring finger from your opponent. So they can't throw Paper anymore.

Last edited:

Morgue

Smash Cadet
This is exactly WHY you fire the missiles.
You've just cut their options down to recovering from below.
You are correct and I forgot about cutting their options too. It's much easier for me to play and show than explain things, words are not my forte.

Litt

Samus
Barbie, I hope in person that you are much nicer than your posts make you seem, because when I read your posts, you just seem angry all the time. Some of us may be discouraged from even responding to posts if they are that blunt. Is this not a friendly community?

Lets discuss why his methods of edgeguarding aren't always the best solution instead of badgering each other over what is the best method.

Wavelanding platforms:

Spamming missiles:

To me, this only seems good when your opponent is sent high and far off stage. This method of edgeguarding, based on my experiences, isn't a good idea for any mid-height opponents off-stage because I would assume they would FF under the super missile threat zone and recover from underneath and sweetspot the ledge.

What do you guy think?
No I would be this mean in person if you are this dumb in person... No where did I badger anyone for the best answer to ledgeguarding, I was telling him to stop asking for the best option for every situation and just practice getting comfortable using multiple different options so when you are against a competent and well versed opponent in the MU you will have to get them in unconventional ways or use more difficult ones than you would be accustomed to performing.

Top Bottom