• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Missing features on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

TheRedKnightMC

Smash Cadet
Features from previous smash titles that has not been confirmed or still missing so far on Ultimate:

Smash

Coin Battle

Games & More

Event Mode
(Classic) All Star Mode
Stadium (Home-run, Most of multi man smash modes, Target Blast/Smash/Test

Vault

Stage Builder
Album
Masterpieces
Trophies (been replaced by Spirits)
Trophy Gallery (could be Spirits Gallery)
Trophy Hoard (could be Spirits Hoard)

Other

Tilting the menu

The website says "And even more modes!" on this page https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/howtoplay/mode.html so maybe most of these modes (but not trophies) could be returning in Ultimate!

The bold text is features I edited in and changed.

Last edited:

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Event Mode is basically replaced by Spirit Mode honestly, being 'combined' with Trophies.

The weirdest omission so far that I'm surprised they haven't shown in the Direct (if it's still in the game) is a Stage Builder mode. Maybe they heard all the complaints about that and just couldn't figure out how to properly fix it, and decided to just cut it altogether, if it's not in, but either way it'll be sad to see it gone entirely.

Also wondering where Home-Run and any kind of Target Smash feature has gone to though. My guess is that these got cut entirely, but we'll have to see on that note. Masterpieces, I don't think really matters too much if that's gone, I always saw that as kind of a waste of space honestly, and with Virtual Console gone they can't advertise you to purchase those games on the eShop anymore either, which I think was largely the purpose of these Masterpieces anyway. So that's most likely just gone entirely.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I could really care less about the Stage Builder, since I hardly ever used it in Smash Wii U. But losing the ability to take snapshots would sure be a heart breaker.

Anyway, software updates can potentially add new game modes later on.

Lord_Ghirahim

Smash Cadet
Tilting the menu screens with the C-Stick:GCCN:
お願いします、桜井 !

jk ofc, although it would make me smile

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I think we can agree that the missing submodes in Multi Man Smash shouldnt be there in first place... or that they are redundant.

10 man smash? It's so simple that it is irrelevant, it can be over before you blink. 3 minute Smash? It's basically the same of a endless Smash, that will just count your time and kill count anyway. Cruel Smash, well, at least for me, it's stupid, it's like a joke mode, since there's no way to stay alive for more than some seconds unless you use strategies to avoid the AI of the game using the edges (at least for me, cause it's insanely hard). And Rival Smash.. never cared about, but yeah, at least it's a different challenge that could be avaiable.
So, I see most of these modes as fillers, specially 10 man smash, 3 minute Smash (and Cruel Smash too because it is just there to make you feel bad). They are already inside the other modes avaiable. If we expand this thinking, we can even think that 100 man smash is irrelevant, cause it's already inside the endless multiman smash...
If you just won a medal for each 100 pack of enemies you defeat on this mode, all these modes become the same irrelevant thing in comparisson with endless smash...

I always saw this as the filler option of 8 player Smash of Smash 4. There was no necessity for a different button for 8 player smash (just connect more controllers on the regular smash screen!!!!).

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I've noticed every returning mode and feature in Ultimate that has been featured in a Direct has had some major revision to it. Classic Mode is a unique campaign for each character, Endless Smash and All Star Mode have been combined because KOing 74 characters 74 times for their final smash trophies would be too much of a grind. Tips can now be browsed freely. Help...was mostly shown off to finally introduce us to the dashboard function. And that brings me to Homerun Contest. That mode hasn't been changed since Brawl (where they added the invisible, breakable wall), so they probably saw no reason to show it off.

In addition to these modes simply being hidden in the final release, there's also the possibility of them being re-added as free DLC content. As I recall Smash 4 had many things added in post release updates that weren't characters/stages/music/mii costumes.

• Being able to publish and download other peoples' stage builder stages, photos, mii fighters and replays
  • The Smash controller app letting you use your 3DS as a spare controller on the Wii U version
  • The entirety of Tournament mode
  • Direct Youtube upload feature for replays

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
I really hope a slew of "fun modes" will be something they release as the initial excitement of the game starts to die down. I really wanna see a unique break the targets and board the platforms for all characters.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Stage Builder is the biggest loss, but I'm more dumbfounded at the omission of Home Run Contest. Could that really have taken very long to develop? It's just a really long horizontal stage that spawns Sandbag and a home run bat, same exact thing for all characters. I don't understand why they would've removed it.

TheRedKnightMC

Smash Cadet
I think we can agree that the missing submodes in Multi Man Smash shouldnt be there in first place... or that they are redundant.

10 man smash? It's so simple that it is irrelevant, it can be over before you blink. 3 minute Smash? It's basically the same of a endless Smash, that will just count your time and kill count anyway. Cruel Smash, well, at least for me, it's stupid, it's like a joke mode, since there's no way to stay alive for more than some seconds unless you use strategies to avoid the AI of the game using the edges (at least for me, cause it's insanely hard). And Rival Smash.. never cared about, but yeah, at least it's a different challenge that could be avaiable.
So, I see most of these modes as fillers, specially 10 man smash, 3 minute Smash (and Cruel Smash too because it is just there to make you feel bad). They are already inside the other modes avaiable. If we expand this thinking, we can even think that 100 man smash is irrelevant, cause it's already inside the endless multiman smash...
If you just won a medal for each 100 pack of enemies you defeat on this mode, all these modes become the same irrelevant thing in comparisson with endless smash...

I always saw this as the filler option of 8 player Smash of Smash 4. There was no necessity for a different button for 8 player smash (just connect more controllers on the regular smash screen!!!!).
You got a point, I agree with you but Cruel Smash is in Ultimate.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I've noticed every returning mode and feature in Ultimate that has been featured in a Direct has had some major revision to it. Classic Mode is a unique campaign for each character, Endless Smash and All Star Mode have been combined because KOing 74 characters 74 times for their final smash trophies would be too much of a grind. Tips can now be browsed freely. Help...was mostly shown off to finally introduce us to the dashboard function. And that brings me to Homerun Contest. That mode hasn't been changed since Brawl (where they added the invisible, breakable wall), so they probably saw no reason to show it off.

In addition to these modes simply being hidden in the final release, there's also the possibility of them being re-added as free DLC content. As I recall Smash 4 had many things added in post release updates that weren't characters/stages/music/mii costumes.

• Being able to publish and download other peoples' stage builder stages, photos, mii fighters and replays
  • The Smash controller app letting you use your 3DS as a spare controller on the Wii U version
  • The entirety of Tournament mode
  • Direct Youtube upload feature for replays
Oh yea I didn’t think f that

Add the missing modes in updates

Hopefully that’s the case

Top Bottom