• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Missile question

Adict

Smash Cadet
So im sitting here with my roommate, Angel, who is a Yoshi main, i was messing around in training mode with samus and he brought up an interesting question on something he remembered. According to him, he remembers reading a post by Phanna, that its possible to do ledge cancelled missile in the same aspect that yoshi does ledge cancelled egg toss. he said if he remembered correctly it only had a frame of opportunity to be done or it wont work.

i was curious if it can be done and if there are videos showing the frame work by chance? i went back into the archives in the forum til about page 12 before i gave up, so if it is buried back there i do apologize but i couldnt find it lol.

Adict

Smash Cadet
Ahhhh thank you much! apparently my skimming over the threads earlier was poorly done. highly appreciated good sir

Litt

Samus
Basically... impossible I think its a 1 frame window to do the double jump right after letting go of the edge to shoot the missile

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
Not impossible, just very hard. I did 3 in a row after many tries :p The real question is how useful it is...

Adict

Smash Cadet
if it can be used in the same way that yoshis ledge cancelled egg toss is, i feel like it can be quite useful. whether or not its worth the time and effort to put in to master it, i am unsure. i personally plan on practicing it, just for the fact of having more options on the ledge, there can never be enough options of things to do while on the ledge, and with how many samus already has, adding this one, that nobody seems to use, would be a nice little surprise for whomever im facing

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
True that. I can do it like 50% of the time if I change my grip, but that doesn't really count. I'll practice more when I've got the time. Big tournament coming up here in the beginning of 2014. :)

Adict

Smash Cadet
i can only maybe do it about 25% of the time. thats without changing my grip and thats not a consistent 25%. but i have two days off from work and no plans, so it seems like i know what ill be doing lol.

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
What's your input? Away - Jump with X/Y - Smashmissile? I experimented with letting go with C to avoid going away from the ledge. I can't remember which I found easier.

Adict

Smash Cadet
its definitely easier for me to use cstick to do it more consistently as opposed to away. until i get the timing down consistently with the cstick im avoiding the away option. since i cant claw my controller the analog away option is quite a bit more challenging lol

Adict

Smash Cadet
yeah thats understandable, thats a must for samus lol. luckily ive been using samus for quite a number of years so thats already done for me, this Hylian Lowrider as its called, is i believe the only thing i have left. i hadnt even heard of it til i posted that question the other day so when my roommate brought it up i was stoked about it haha

Litt

Samus
Yeah it took me the longest time to get SHFFMCs down and i still have off days with them

Adict

Smash Cadet
yeah i have my off days aswell. except my off days are full of the stupidest stuff ever. just went back home to visit for a few days and was playing a buddy of mine. all day on the first day i kept freakin missing my wavedash to edge guard him and just kept jumping like a jackass lol. sometimes it just gets infuriating

Litt

Samus
Yeah I have never been off that much where I have been missing wavedashes...

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
I miss wavedashes for the first 2 hours of so playing. I really need to warm up a long time before tournaments. :/

Litt

Samus
Wow... you really do need to warm up... or just practice wavedashes a lot more into muscle memory

Adict

Smash Cadet
yeah i find it crazy how reflexes/muscle memory can mess up so much differently person to person. even on my off days i only mess up the occasional swd or SHFFMC. im quite consistent with them, but for some reason, stupid wavedashs get me lol

Litt

Samus
I really find it hard to believe that if you have any day where you are consistent with a SHFFMC... you would ever miss a wavedash....

Litt

Samus
Well that is understandable... but to have techskill high enough to pull off a few SHFFMCs... it is unbelieve you would miss a wavedash... maybe perfect wavedashes.... but it is such a basic technique.

Adict

Smash Cadet
i believe its more to do with my nerves than anything else. its only missed when im in a rush to get the edge guard on someone. im fine in the middle of the stage/platform/spacing but dat edge guard gets my nerves goin lol

Litt

Samus
Well there is actually an easy fix to this nerve problem, if when you mess up a wave dash getting onto the edge, you can fast fall and DI away from the stage, and still throw out your grapple if you time it correctly. (Make sure you are far enough from the stage so that the grapple isnt canceled out. This way... even though you may not get the edge guard... you still dont lose a stock with a stupid error.

Top Bottom