• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Missed Opportunities in Stages?

SanicJan

Smash Cadet
Yeah no Bowser's Castle being in sucks. I would of loved it as a Mario platformer stage or a Mario Kart stage. Also the Duck Hunt stage not getting a retro medley when it's a retro stage. What the hell Sakurai? I'm just disappointed as well with there being no PM stage on the Wii U version. Castle Bleck or The Bitlands would be a great idea. Also Castle Bleck is mainly cause they'll be the Ultimate Show as a song and also the stage would be interesting and it would be a good idea to have Super Dimentio as a stage boss in there. I mean out of all stage bosses you don't pick that idea Sakurai?

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692

This stage is cool and all, but it would have been better if it was an actual spherical planet were you would have to know the person out of gravity to KO them.

Something like this

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
Wrecking Crew not being a retro stage like all the others because now there's not as much nostalgia.
Are you kidding me? I love how Wrecking Crew isn't come cheap 8 bit stage like Balloon Fight. I feel as if I'm fighting in actual location that exists within the universe, rather than some fakeass pixel mess.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
Are you kidding me? I love how Wrecking Crew isn't come cheap 8 bit stage like Balloon Fight. I feel as if I'm fighting in actual location that exists within the universe, rather than some fakeass pixel mess.
I completely agree. I feel like since most games have good graphics nowadays Smash's "over-detailed" design style doesn't have as much emphasis as it did in, say, Melee. Stages like Mushroom Kingdom U look like they're taken from their base games. So when stages based off retro games keep the 8bit style it's a big letdown. Once or twice is cool (like the retro Mario stages from 64 and Melee) but we have more than enough now (75m, Duck Hunt, and Pac Land, plus Balloon Fight, Mute City and the Gameboy stage, although granted the last one was a bit more interesting). The fact that the Wrecking Crew one has new graphics makes me enjoy it much more than any of the other "retro" games because it gives me the same feeling most stages did in Melee.

D

Deleted member

Not including Humoresque of a Little Dog on Onett. and not having beyond the sky on gaur plain

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I feel as though the Zelda, Pokemon, and Kirby franchises could've had more new stages in the WiiU Version.

While I do think Skyloft was a solid addition to the stage list, I feel as though the Zelda series deserved at least two new stages b/c of how successful the series is, especially on the console versions. For the second new stage, I was thinking another Wind Waker stage considering that Pirate Ship didn't make the cut and the fact Wind Waker was remade for the WiiU. Personally, I could see the Forsaken Fortress fulfilling exactly that, where the battle would take place on the main battlefield during level's boss fight. Perhaps the Helmaroc King could appear as a stage boss, and that would've been great considering how this game introduced the concept of a stage boss... though we only have 3 stages in the game that do so, which was rather lackluster in my opinion.

I feel as though Pokemon should've had at least two new stages as well. Once again, this is due to the series's general success. Now, I know it technically makes sense to give Pokemon more new stages in the 3DS version considering the games are native to the portable consoles, but Pokemon is just that successful that it deserves more new stages. I was honestly expecting the Plasma Frigate from Black 2/White 2 to appear in the WiiU since N's Castle already appears on the 3DS and the fact Plasma Frigate could satisfy Pirate Ship's absence, but alas, seems like we didn't get it.

If not the Plasma Frigate, then I honestly think there should've been a stage from the 3rd Gen Pokemon games (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald to be exact). It honestly saddens that gen 3 still hasn't had a proper representation in the Smash Bros universe aside from stage music, Poke Ball Pokemon, and background Pokemon (and Red using his Gen 3 redesign in Brawl doesn't entirely count either; remember, Red is really native to Gen 1, not Gen 3). If the developers didn't think Gen 3 Pokemon would make it as actual fighters into this game, then I think a stage should've done the job just fine. Personally, I could see lots of stage ideas for Gen 3, like Meteor Falls, Sky Pillar, Sootopolis City (with Kyogre and Groudon battling in the background and disrupting the battle in some way), Cave of Origin, etc. Personally, I think the Cave of Origin would've been the best choice here. They could've used the Cave's redesign from the remakes and put Groudon in as a stage boss (maybe its Primal Reversion form to make things more interesting); that would be the perfect way to make up for Groudon's absence considering how odd it was that Kyogre made it into this game as a Pokeball but Groudon had zero representation this time around.

I also think Spear Pillar should've been in this game. Like everyone else, I honestly think they should've gone with a Pokemon Stadium X instead of Pokemon Stadium 2, but if the game developers wanted Pokemon Stadium 2 instead, then they probably could've just gone with Spear Pillar. The reason why I think Spear Pillar would've been a good choice is so that Dialga and Cresselia could get some spotlight; yes, Palkia appears on the stage too, but they could change the stage up a bit so that only Dialga and Cresselia would appear. Once again, I just find it odd that they would only take one from a legendary pair (in this case, Palkia as a Pokeball Pokemon but Dialga only getting trophy status). The Xerneas and Yveltal pair, Reshiram and Zekrom pair, and Lugia and Ho-oh pair have both of their Pokemon have some sort of decent representation in Smash Bros 4, so it's odd that they would leave Pokemon from pairs that were meant to be together in some way (I'm talking about Groudon/Kyogre, Palkia/Dialga, and Cresselia/Darkrai).

As for the Kirby series, I really do like the Great Cave Offensive because of the uniqueness it brings to the stage roster, but was anyone else expecting the Lor Starcutter to appear as the main Kirby stage for Smash 4? I mean, it's another stage that would've filled Pirate Ship's absence perfectly considering that the Starcutter is a ship too. In addition, it would've been a cool stage considering how it could fly by all of the Kirby levels from Kirby's Return to Dreamland (the HD wow factor), the four Landia dragons could appear as occasional platforms, and Magolor could appear as a stage boss. This stage would've also been the perfect stage to include all of the Kirby tracks that everyone wanted for Smash 4 but didn't get in (particularly because the Kirby music people wanted were the epic battle ones), especially the Magolor battle tracks.

ShadowLBlue

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of Mario Galaxy, where is the Comet Observatory? It's mentioned in Rosalina's trophy description, and it's theme (though it's really Rosalina's overall main theme) is in the game, but the Observatory doesn't even get a trophy, let alone appear on the Mario Galaxy stage (*coughorbeRosalina'sFinalSmashcough*).

It's a crime this didn't get to show up in the game at all.
Certainly could have had many options to be a unique stage.

I expected any SMG level to operate like Brinstar Depths and allow you to hop between two spherical worlds since playing on small planets was a big part of the game. Although the planets would need to have their own gravity so you could run on them upside down.

Separately, I really like Coliseum but I wish it wasn't a walk-off stage.

Last edited:

RegularFriend

Smash Rookie
I'd really like a skyworld without breakable platforms. Also I miss having corneria and yoshi's island in the wii u version

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The 3DS version should have all the past stages while the Wii U version should have all the new stages. Blah! Biggest missed opportunity when it comes to stages, IMO...

For example, 3DS version should have Smashville (Brawl) while Wii U version should have Town & City and Tortimer Island. It is so dumb that the Wii U version have both Smashville (Brawl) and Town & City.

D

Deleted member 269706

Putting Rogueport in the Paper Mario Stage...Maybe bring the audience thing back.

BlitzMaster2000

Smash Cadet
NNID
BlitzMaster9000
Oh please, these one-dimensional Nickelodeon reject excuses for Sonic villains? I freaking love Sonic Lost World, but I absolutely HAVE to skip every single cutscene in that game. It's just too painful.
The Deadly Six were OK, but they could have done with some more character development, same goes for the Lost Hex. At least I'm not the only one who likes Lost World.

Top Bottom