• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Missed Opportunities in Stages?

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
Out of the stages we have right now, was there anything you felt they didn't include that would have made the stage better? For example, I wish they had added changing seasons to Town and City to go along with the changing time of day part as the seasons are just as important to the AC series as the time of day (and it would have made it more different from Smashville). I also wish they had added more stage variants to Mushroom Kingdom U, such as Frosted Glacier and the Van Gogh-esque Starry Night poison level (instead of the boring generic fortress background we got).

Just to clarify, this isn't really about stages you wish had gotten in or not, but more of what they could have done to make the stages we do have better.

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
Could've made Flat Zone X have a billion of other possible transformations...

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Should have either had a separate stage with him in it instead or an option to turn him off, but I really think Wily Castle was damn near perfect a stage without Yellow Devil.

SanicJan

Smash Cadet
Wrecking Crew not being a retro stage like all the others because now there's not as much nostalgia.

Tails1000

Smash Cadet
It's been said many times before, but a boss toggle. They could call it Alpha mode and it would work fine. We know the stages can function without bosses since Metal face isn't programmed into 8-player smash.

I would have liked to see Congo Jungle get updated with Wii U graphics... Possibly make it an alternate version of the Stage (Similar to the boxing ring) so those who like the N64 look can still select it.

Instead of getting Pokemon Stadium 2, I would have liked to see both Pokemon stadiums combined into one... with the possibility of the stage changing into any of the 8 themes.

That's all I can think of for now :)

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
I'm disappointed in the lack of a Pokemon Stadium X that combines both Stadium's transformations with maybe even a toggle to switch between the Stadium 1 or 2 looks like the Boxing Ring and its 2 variants.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Zazz not showing up on Windy Hill Zone.

"There's that blue punk! I've been DREEEEAMIN' about poundin' his sorry, blue butt!"

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Zazz not showing up on Windy Hill Zone.

"There's that blue punk! I've been DREEEEAMIN' about poundin' his sorry, blue butt!"
Oh please, these one-dimensional Nickelodeon reject excuses for Sonic villains? I freaking love Sonic Lost World, but I absolutely HAVE to skip every single cutscene in that game. It's just too painful.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Oh please, these one-dimensional Nickelodeon reject excuses for Sonic villains? I freaking love Sonic Lost World, but I absolutely HAVE to skip every single cutscene in that game. It's just too painful.
Their one-dimensionality is what makes them good. They are blatant, but hilarious parodies of some very common archetypes in Japanese games/anime. And as a result, have some amazing one-liners.

Chances are you like a character they parody.

Last edited:

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Edited as I didn't read the full OP :[

There aren't enough "WTF" moments I've had with the non Omega mode stages that you play in a party-like setting.

Here's my 2 cents on tournament stages while we're at it.

Omega mode toggles FD mode. There coulda been another mode (Alpha?) that added a random (or set) tournament standard set of platforms (Melee Pokemon Stadium, Delfino, Lylat, Battlefield, etc) to the stage.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Also, the Mario Galaxy stage should have had the blue house in the plane of fighting, so you can jump on it. It would be a nice addition, and would look better than those two random floating platforms.

Fathom778

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPSICANEX2
Pokemon Stadium 2 didn't have that picture of Sakurai's ca-
Oh wait, it's still in? Well...
I guess my disappointment in stages is that Pac-Land is a stage.
That stage isn't good, at all.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Speaking of Mario Galaxy, where is the Comet Observatory? It's mentioned in Rosalina's trophy description, and it's theme (though it's really Rosalina's overall main theme) is in the game, but the Observatory doesn't even get a trophy, let alone appear on the Mario Galaxy stage (*coughorbeRosalina'sFinalSmashcough*).

It's a crime this didn't get to show up in the game at all.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Speaking of Mario Galaxy, where is the Comet Observatory? It's mentioned in Rosalina's trophy description, and it's theme (though it's really Rosalina's overall main theme) is in the game, but the Observatory doesn't even get a trophy, let alone appear on the Mario Galaxy stage (*coughorbeRosalina'sFinalSmashcough*).

I'd love a stage taking place on the Observatory, and maybe since Mario Galaxy featured bending gravity, and Jungle Hijinx featured dual-plane stages, perhaps the Observatory would feature curved fighting planes? As in, when the 2D plane "curves," similar to some 2D sections in Sonic Unleashed/Colors.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'd love a stage taking place on the Observatory, and maybe since Mario Galaxy featured bending gravity, and Jungle Hijinx featured dual-plane stages, perhaps the Observatory would feature curved fighting planes? As in, when the 2D plane "curves," similar to some 2D sections in Sonic Unleashed/Colors.
At the very least, I think a Spirit Train type gimmick might have been cool - if Rosalina is not participating in a fight, you can see her flying in the background of Mario Galaxy in the Observatory with all of the Lumas. If she is participating, it is "parked" closer to the foreground.

Also I think I know what you mean by curved 2D planes, and it would have been cool to see a level like that, though it might have been difficult to implement blast zones (and seeing characters zig-zag in and out when launched might have looked weird).

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
At the very least, I think a Spirit Train type gimmick might have been cool - if Rosalina is not participating in a fight, you can see her flying in the background of Mario Galaxy in the Observatory with all of the Lumas. If she is participating, it is "parked" closer to the foreground.

Also I think I know what you mean by curved 2D planes, and it would have been cool to see a level like that, though it might have been difficult to implement blast zones (and seeing characters zig-zag in and out when launched might have looked weird).
Yeah, that would be pretty neat.

Yeah, that is true. Maybe it would be a travelling stage, in the vein of Delfino Plaza. I could see the Spirit Train-esque idea working in a stage like that as well; have Rosalina appear where she does in Galaxy, and have Alfonzo Polari stand in for her when she's fighting.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I know this is for the 3DS version, but the GameBoy edge of the Dream Land stage is excessive visual representation of Kirby's Adventure and it wastes potential for a Game Boy tribute stage.

Remember how much of a tease its reveal in the PotD was? Only to find out if was a generic nostalgic traveling stage?

Besides, SSB3DS having focus on handheld games, this would've been a perfect way to stitch in levels from numerous GB titles into one. Gotta have my Super Mario Land, Tetris, and Pokémon Red & Yellow segments!

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I know this is for the 3DS version, but the GameBoy edge of the Dream Land stage is excessive visual representation of Kirby's Adventure and it wastes potential for a Game Boy tribute stage.

Remember how much of a tease its reveal in the PotD was? Only to find out if was a generic nostalgic traveling stage?

Besides, SSB3DS having focus on handheld games, this would've been a perfect way to stitch in levels from numerous GB titles into one. Gotta have my Super Mario Land, Tetris, and Pokémon Red & Yellow segments!
Just a Tetris level in general would have been awesome, maybe functioning something like a faster-paced Pokefloats, with different blocks falling from the top of the screen.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Yeah I too find it upsetting that the Comet Observatory isn't present at all. Of course, Peach's Castle hasn't seen any light at all after Melee, so there are two major sins right there.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah I too find it upsetting that the Comet Observatory isn't present at all. Of course, Peach's Castle hasn't seen any light at all after Melee, so there are two major sins right there.
I get Peach's Castle not showing up due to it being well represented in the first two Smash games (we've had two "Peach's Castle" stages across 64 and Melee, and Melee had a trophy of the stage IIRC - I think a trophy of it being pulled out of the ground from Galaxy's opening would have been cool for this game, though). But the Comet Observatory not showing up is bothersome because of how much it is referenced and how it is so important to the character (I forgot to mention before, but Viridi also mentions it in the Palutena's Guidance for Rosalina).

Ideally though, I would have wanted it to be Rosalina's Final Smash, similar in execution to Mega Man's/Captain Falcon's.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I feel like Mario Galaxy should've been a tour-style stage that lands on some planetoids with the special gravity. The flat stage we got doesn't do the duology enough justice.

- The 3DS Dream Land stage featuring other areas from Game Boy games besides Kirby would have been swell.

- A horizontally scrolling stage based on Balloon Kid's first level. It was a better game than Balloon Fight (imo) with cute music and peculiar pencil-shaped buildings in the background. It, along with a Wrecking Crew stage, was my most wanted, so I'm mostly satisfied.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Considering that Kirby's very first game was on the Game Boy, it's probably understandable why 3DS Dream Land only focused on Kirby's Dream Land.

I get Peach's Castle not showing up due to it being well represented in the first two Smash games (we've had two "Peach's Castle" stages across 64 and Melee, and Melee had a trophy of the stage IIRC - I think a trophy of it being pulled out of the ground from Galaxy's opening would have been cool for this game, though). But the Comet Observatory not showing up is bothersome because of how much it is referenced and how it is so important to the character (I forgot to mention before, but Viridi also mentions it in the Palutena's Guidance for Rosalina).

Ideally though, I would have wanted it to be Rosalina's Final Smash, similar in execution to Mega Man's/Captain Falcon's.
Yeah it wouldn't hurt if there was a Comet Observatory stage as well. I mean, there are TWO Mario Kart themed stages after all.

Perhaps time constraints forced the game developers to scrap the idea altogether.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Peach's Castle appears in Mario Circuit.
The lack of Comet Observatory as a stage is the biggest sin. Instead we get a generic planet.:glare:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Peach's Castle appears in Mario Circuit.
The lack of Comet Observatory as a stage is the biggest sin. Instead we get a generic planet.:glare:
The planet is not generic at all. It's the Gateway Planet - and Rosalina's original home (from the storybook). I'm actually surprised they referenced it at all, but am also really happy they did. I just wish the Observatory was represented beyond being merely mentioned, too.

GanonDuck

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ganonduck
I baffles me that there isn't a Bowser's Castle stage in any of the smash bros games. It is one of the most iconic places in Mario games. The koopaling segment in mushroom kingdom U just isn't enough.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
The planet is not generic at all. It's the Gateway Planet - and Rosalina's original home (from the storybook). I'm actually surprised they referenced it at all, but am also really happy they did. I just wish the Observatory was represented beyond being merely mentioned, too.
Well, it is sort of a "generic" planet in its design even in the original game, basically being a grassy plain with a blue-roofed house and some craters. It's important to the story of course, but its design isn't the most unique in the Galaxy games.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I think if they included that version of Ashley's song that the Japanese version of Smash has, the Gamer stage would be cooler/creepier. Although, I think Brawl's Japanese version is decent for the stage too.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I wish they had added changing seasons to Town and City to go along with the changing time of day part as the seasons are just as important to the AC series as the time of day (and it would have made it more different from Smashville).
But less different from Yoshi's Island (Brawl) as that is its gimmick.
My wish would be that we got character recolours for the GB stage to make them fit its colour scheme.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
My wish would be that we got character recolours for the GB stage to make them fit its colour scheme.
Well, Yoshi's Island from Brawl isn't in the Wii U version anyway, only the 3DS version.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I baffles me that there isn't a Bowser's Castle stage in any of the smash bros games. It is one of the most iconic places in Mario games. The koopaling segment in mushroom kingdom U just isn't enough.
In the New Super Mario Bros. series, towers were not entirely affiliated with the Koopalings, as that was only the case in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. But yes, much like how Rosalina is lacking her Comet Observatory, Bowser is lacking his castle, and no, the Paper Mario stage is not the answer.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
Ehh it would be different enough because of the completely different art styles. Plus didn't Brawl's Yoshi's Island change seasons during the fight? I meant more of "if you play in January there's snow, if you play in October it's fall, etc". Plus they could do cool effects like Cherry Blossoms falling, snow, rain, and so on. It would make it different enough from Smashville because while Smashville would always be summer, 8/12 months of the year Town and City would look different.

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
They should have had Battlefield versions of all the stages, not just Final Destination.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Really? I don't remember Gateway Planet. Is it from SMG2? I only played SMG1, so I remember the storybook, but not the planet itself.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Absolutely no ice stages this time. We couldn't even get Summit back as a tribute...

Khao

Smash Lord
I agree with pretty much every single person in this thread, haha.

Pokémon Stadium X would have been ****ing perfect. Does anyone even like Flatzone?

I really, really want Wily Castle to be available without the Yellow Devil. It's freaking ridiculous, I wouldn't mind it if he didn't appear as often as he currently does, but he appears so much it seriously makes the stage plain unplayable. He should at the most appear once every five minutes, not once per freaking minute.

Comet Observatory stage would definitely be awesome. Either way, I wish the curve in the current Galaxy stage was far more pronounced. Going all the way and do the full planet would likely mess up button imputs completely when the camera angle is static, but I wish they'd done it so you at least ended up on the sides of the planet at 90 degrees.

Also, I really, really wish that Arena Ferox and/or Reset Bomb Forest were also on both versions. Loved both those stages and I really miss them when playing the Wii U version.

Top Bottom