• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mindgames Advice?

Peppers

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone help explain more mindgames to me. I've been playin for about 6 months and im a decent player but even when i play a player about the same skill at me i have no mindgames to use except dash dancing and run forward WD back. Can someone give me a few ideas.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
there isn't really set mind games, all it is is predicting your opponent and not being predictable yourself. no amount of words can really tell you how to do this.

Fefnir Cerveau

Smash Lord
What Metroid said. Too lazy to check how his name really was. Anyway, there's no such thing as a set mindgame. Planning, can lead to an approach or whatever, but it's gonna be different for every match. Just don't be predictable and mix things up a lot. It's not really something someone can teach.

AThirdParty

Smash Apprentice
I'll actually give u a real answer, seems these people keep beating around the bush...

Here is a good one. Your opponent is hanging onto the ledge, u do a jab/f-tilt/shuffled aerial/some other low-lag move/etc, ur opponent thinks they have an opening to ledge hop an aerial at u, but actually, they don't have enough time. U wavedash back and forward smash them out of their aerial. There, I actually answered ur question. There's a plethora of these "fake out" mindgames where the opponent thinks they have enough time to attack u but u dash/wavedash away before they can attack u. Then of course u punish them for falling for it.

Peppers

Smash Apprentice
as athird party said i wanted sumthing like a move or technique not a "set" that will work just sum technique that will aide me making a set of mindgames

pirate-404

Smash Cadet
There are no set mindgames, as they vary from situation to situation.

Just start by observing how your opponent. Watch how they react to certain situations, and use that knowledge to predict him or her in the future. React accordingly. For example, if you notice that your opponent never uses throws, shield when you see him start a SHFFL, then shield-grab.

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
haha mindgames... I say mindgames come down to philosophy... think why... when you get hit... think why you got hit... if you miss an attack... think why you missed...

did you short it? were you too obvious?... then when you get hit or miss... you think... what should you have done... how should you have avoided it...

basically you think of any way to win... and everytime an obstacle comes up, you think how to get around it... and you will repeatly come up with problems... and when you solve every possible scenerio... and thought of every option out there...

you are GOD MuAHaHAHAHAH O_o... ok.

BOBA

Smash Journeyman
Peppers, here are links to discussions on the REAL mindgame aspect of most fighting games including melee.

This is a melee post of a friend of mine who is a pro tekken player (one of the best in the world)

- http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=34291

And 2 other links, that i find really useful.

- http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=73021

- http://www.sirlin.net/Features/feature_Yomi.htm

Those helped me understand mindgames more, instead of just thinking of little tricks or psych outs.

Although those can be good to learn too.

Ijuka

Smash Ace
Wavedashing and dash-dancing are not mindgames. They are just tools for mindgames, just dash-dancing around randomly is no mindgame. It's just stupid, you'll get punished for it. Mindgames are basically.. hit=successful mindgame, don't get hit=successful mindgame. Hitting without getting hit. Wavedashing and dash-dancing is just a "confusing" way to move, but in my opinion it just gives you more mobility.

For example, as a Fox, you are really fast, and can do a lot of stuff very quickly. Against you is a Marth, against whom you have never played before. You run into his range, but quickly wavedash backwards. You see him F-Smash. run around and blaster spam and stuff to find out his attack and defence patterns, and what he does in different situations. Now, you noticed that he rarely grabs, and resorts to F-smash in almost every situation, except when you are above him, where he goes aerial or up-tilts. He will grab you if you keep on shielding, though. Run to him, shield. What do you think he will do? He might run to you and grab, if you think he will do that, predict and sidestep and punish. He might do something stupid like fsmash, shieldwavedash into grab into uthrow.

Find patterns in your opponent's game, predict what they are going to do, defend accordingly, counter-attack, keep on baiting stuff that you think they will do, find proper means of punishing everything, do what they don't expect you to do, do cheap stuff like blaster spam frequently if it annoys them, annoyed people are more stupid most of the time. For example, if you see that he likes to dash-dance into a grab, you can just run away and blaster spam, it will annoy them enough. Or just predict and punish, as always. Almost everything can be punished with Fox, he is fast enough for that. And it doesn't have to be laggy to be punished. Say, they just did a fair too far from you, and you have noticed that he likes to dtilt after the fair in this kind of situations. Think, how you can punish the down-tilt? If he likes to shield often, you might want to run towards him after his down-tilt, he will most likely shield or dodge. now this is, when you don't know what they will do, where you run behind their shield, and stop. Most people panic, and dodge, for whatever reason. If it works, use it, if not, don't use it. If they dodge, just punish with whatever combo is able to give you the most damage or the best result at the moment.

Mindgames are everywhere, endless, constant. They aren't just little tricks, every time you got hit you made an error, and you could have avoided the hit somehow. There always is room to improve. Only when you don't ever get hit in a match, are you good enough in mindgames.

Top Bottom