• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mindgame of choice

NickOTeen

Smash Journeyman
To start off with, I didn't see any other threads like this, and I didn't see TOO much in the guides except for a couple here and there and that "mindgames are good." So, a question for you Kirby players...

Which mindgames work the best for you, and which are your favorite?

One that I haven't seen much of is what I call "Rock-canceling" (or I guess "Stone-canceling" as that's the move's official name). Whenever high above your opponent, either by self floating or getting knocked upward, I'll use Stone to send myself downward. Shortly above them, press B to cancel the move, which also causes Kirby to suspend himself in the air a moment. The move tends to trip up your opponent, as they attempt to attack or grab the Stone Kirby that SHOULD be in front of them. This gives you an opening to perform either an aerial attack (dair tends to work well, unless you risk to drop further for a nice bair), or even turn into Stone again to drop on your opponent while their move lags.

It's also helpful once ON the ground, as right before they rush in to grab, you can cancel out of it backwards and take the opportunity to attack again.

If a thread like this already exists, or something like this has already been covered before, I apologize, and we just won't bring it up again, alright...? ;)

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
I have actually attempted to play around with that move and have tryed that before. However it just doesn't work. The lag on that move is to extreme. Good players will strike you regardless if you cancel in the air or not. The only rare occasion that I have ever used that move was either to play around or in the rare circumstance that when you get hit up and they chased you with an aerial attack you press down B and you actually rise up a little so they might miss by a bit as you rise slightly up and you hit him on your way down. Good players will just DI away when he sees the rock forming and catch you on your lag getting out of stone. The stone has too much lag.

"Mindgames" that work with kirby would be anything with dash dancing, and wavedashing and dodging alot of moves. Don't rely on the stone. The stone is unreliable. Especially not for a "mindgame"

NickOTeen

Smash Journeyman
I can see your point, but it's done WAY above an opponent. The lag also gives you a moment's time to plan your next move, especially if you see them try to take advantage or roll out of the way.

I haven't tried this on any incredibly good tournament level players yet, as I've recently picked up Kirby, but if I can get it to work against a few local guys in my state's power rankings, then I'll likely drop it.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
My mindgame of choice?

"I main Kirby"

They burst into laughter as I secretly switch to IC(who are really my mains) and choose the stage.

But really, I can't really classify a mindgame. My "mindgames" usually come in the middle of the match.

NickOTeen

Smash Journeyman
Haha, that's what my friends say. "Your mindgames start when you pick Kirby." They don't have much room to talk; one plays Yoshi and DK, and two play Pichu. Nice work, though. XD

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
wel if your fighting someone like fox or falco it doesn't matter how high above you cancel it they will just u air you and kill you. People also don't roll away when they see you turn into stone. They actually run up to you and attack you or if you do it too close they just run up to you and start charging up an upsmash. However the people I play are really good and i have mained kirby for a long time. Trust me find a better move. Don't even bother with stone.

NickOTeen

Smash Journeyman
Well, then, what's YOUR favorite mindgame? What's the best suggestion to psyche an opponent out?

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Haha, that's what my friends say. "Your mindgames start when you pick Kirby." They don't have much room to talk; one plays Yoshi and DK, and two play Pichu. Nice work, though. XD
Well, DK and Yoshi are both way better than Kirby. Pichu's debatable.

I guess dash-dancing alot though.

pdk

Smash Lord
my favorite ones involve not saying "mindgame" when you mean "trick"

Massive

Smash Champion
Playing kirby is enough of a mindgame.

I stand with my back to the opponent and wait for them to advance, then retaliate with an utilt when they're close enough.
If your timing's good, you will interrupt nearly anything and have an opening to utilt>bair or utilt>uair.

Works on everyone but Marth and Jiggs. Timing is a B**tch on falco/fox though.

NickOTeen

Smash Journeyman
Well, DK and Yoshi are both way better than Kirby. Pichu's debatable.

I guess dash-dancing alot though.
True, but in an area where everyone plays Sheik or Fox (and I'm not going by majority; almost EVERYONE plays either Sheik of Fox, if not both), they don't expect anything out of Yoshi or DK. Until he gets a spike off with them.

OK, here's a question, too, since I'm looking for advice. I have problems making a "good looking" dashdance. It either looks like I'm running too far in each direction, or that I'm just turning around, taking a step, and repeating. Any of you have this problem or anything to improve upon?

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
Well just practice your dash dancing. Try to make your thumbs move faster. Practice makes perfect in this situation. As far as psyching out your opponent, you could try dash dancing mixed in with wavedashing. When you go in for an attack try the dashing jump canceled grab. It has an insane range. Short hop f airs work nice and d tilt as well. Also if you feel confident in winning then try a few pivoted ground hammers. I was playing a marth the other day and he walked up to me with a f tilt. I did the pivoted hammer and he slid as he went for the f tilt. Somehow he barely missed and i KOed him with the hammer. It was amazing

Also kirby has good evading skills. He has a very nice spotdodge, good air dodges, and decent rolls. He also shrinks when he crouches which can evade several attacks from many opponents. Learn to play quick with his ground movement as he is quick on ground, but terribly slow in the air (especially after a double jump.)

NickOTeen

Smash Journeyman
I've learned a few of those techniques here and there, and I'll try to work on the rest of them. I greatly appreciate the help, skellitorman, and everyone else. =D

cityondown114

Smash Rookie
Hands down the best mind game is the threat of a kirbicide. All you have to do is successfully complete a kirbicide or at least get your opponent in a good suck off the edge. After this happens hang neither the edge during the next few stages of your battle. Your opponent sees that you are in an opportune position to kirbicide and goes on the defensive. It also prevents a lot of people from doing their powerful moves. I have used this technique a lot--- it can also be successfully carried out after a good suicide throw.

Top Bottom