• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mind game tips

MrBlackNoir

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrBlackNoir
3DS FC
4184-2662-6719
Hello all, I picked project M a month ago and I must say I love it. I've even made my friends play every week at least once, in order to improve. However, there's a friend of mine, who I find so hard to play against. He plays always as a random character and I only win 1 of every 25 matches (not an exact number, but you can imagine the difficulty). The thing is, he is not an user of ATs, he only seems to know how to predict every single move I'm about to make. Also, while fighting in the air, his aerials seem to always hit me first. Any tips on how I can improve in order to become a better player against him? (and in general, I beat most of my other friends like 60% of the time, but it's mostly due to the fact I'm the only one who has a wii). I already got the hang of some ATs like L-cancelling and wavedash, but it doesnt seem enough.

PS: I still haven't chosen a main yet, but every time we play I use the same character all day.

PandaPanda Senketsu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5241-2412-1689
There really isn't any advice for mind games, it's something that you just kinda learn on your own. What I can say is try to not be predictable and try to find patterns in your opponents gameplay.

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Jump forward waveland back is a decent mindgame... dont over use it too much.

Dash dancing is also a mindgame you should use a lot. Get good at it :)

Wavedash back is also good in certain situations.

If your good, when they're in sheild just dash and wavedash around it without attacking or grabbing. 9 out of 10 times they'll roll just read/react to it and punish.

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure these all qualify as "mind games," but I'll list a few. In order of how useful they are from what I can tell:

Top 4 imo:

1. Dash/run into their burst range and wavedash back to react to what they do.

2. If they tech or whiff an attack just out of reach for you to punish, run straight at them like you think you can make it in time (even though you know you can't). Run past them and pivot grab. Since they think you misguessed what you can cover, they will likely shield or spot dodge hoping to counter you (especially since they have a frame disadvantage if they go for attacking). Since they'll wait for you to hit the shield if they shield, and since running past them delays the grab to be after when they would spot dodge, this covers their two most likely options.

3. If they tech on a platform but you are out of reach to tech chase on reaction, then waveland on the platform as their tech comes to an end and go for a grab. They are again at a frame disadvantage for attacking, and spot dodge this time is a worse option for them because moments earlier you were in the air (so they'll fear a lingering hitbox), and because you being in the air makes them fear grab less. Rolling is uncommon because they are on a platform, making rolling worse than normal.

4. Short hop fast fall like you are going to do a spaced aerial (so don't land too close). Instead just land and run up and grab.

Also useful:

-Jump at a high aerial opponent to make him fear a juggle attempt then just fast fall and position yourself under them. This can possibly bait their second jump, which would allow you a better juggle opportunity once you land. This could also cause them to attack early and whiff, which may allow you to punish them when they land and/or by having you jump back up to hit them as their move finishes.

-When at the ledge, repeatedly regrab the ledge and/or fake get up attempts until they commit to something they shouldn't. Use that opportunity to get back on stage and/or punish.

-When coming down like you are going to do a spaced aerial, instead waveland backwards and react to what they do.

A couple things to note: A lot of these mind games focus on punishing smart options from opponents. I would say you can go for these right off before observing your opponent to know that they will choose the "safer" options, but still keep an eye or for things like them attacking despite having a frame disadvantage ect. Sometimes people choose unsafe options that ironically counter some of these tactics. If this happens, notice it and switch away from the tactics this interferes with and focus more on punishing their unsafe habits. Generally speaking, the less committal an action, the better it is for punishing the less safe options. #1 doesn't rely on the opponent's choices much and the tactic is far stronger if the opponent chooses unsafe options often. As for the issue of adapting: your opponent is dumb until proven smart. Once you've seen solid evidence that they are attempting to adapt to a tactic, mix up with less committal things on occasion (like wavedash back) so you can punish the less safe options as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom