• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mii's are 'Create a Character' (it's all perspective)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I would like to bring attention now to something we have not looked at much here.

The Mii's; I often say they are not characters on the Character Select Screen (see below), because... well, I would say because they are not, but as the thesis of my declaration, that would mean very little.
I would say they are a game mode, similar to stage creation, a create-a-character.

Sakurai has said:
“I thought ‘If you want him in the game, why don’t you make him?’” laughs Sakurai. “So I created a tool for you to do just that. With the Mii Fighter creator you can have any character you want join the battle.”
Here is why I believe that Mii fighters are just a create-a-character. Everything we have seen about them points to the fact that they are just this, under a Nintendo name of 'Mii.' They do not even have an intro poster* on the site, nor an icon. I count them as 0 characters.
  • They have 0 unique moves (other than Final Smash)
  • None of them has a set 'standard' of what they are. If you said 'Mii Fighter' there is no default.
  • They will not come up when we select 'random' characters
  • We cannot use them in online battles (the icon would just go dim? That would look hideous if in regular CSS slot)
  • I cannot see how it would work for them to be just another icon, where upon clicking it you would have too many other options- to create new or use a stored one, which of the three options, then create more and more.
It just doesn't make any sense.
Therefore, just as I believe it is in Mario Golf, it is a separate bar at the bottom of the page, as is the random bar.

*Trying to paste the image of the Mii's here from the site is hard, damn!

I believe it will look something like this:

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
...Das some good logic ye got there.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I think the fact that they're still playable still makes them count as at least 1 character. And the staff implemented the Miis just as much if not more then the other characters too. Them being not allowed in offline matches (In With Anyone mind you, you can still use Miis with Friends. That still counts as enabling the Miis online) and possibly not having their Icon part of the main sqaure doesn't instantly make them not count as part of the roster because they were still worked on anyhow, more so then most other games that include the Mii because in Mario Kart there's really only three different Miis because of lightweight, medium, or heavyweight (Which still bascially applies to there being only three types of characters in general for Mario Kart). While the Mii Fighters will have far more options then that.

And they do have an Icon, they have the Smash series Icon because they're also the Multi-Man team of Smash 4 (Or if you want to go cheesy they represent the Players, or us so to speak. The ultimate Smash Bros. represenative :p). So they represent a recurring thing in Smash Bros. while still including the Miis.

A "Create a Character" is still a character. To say they count as 0 almost sounds like you just want to ignore their presence in the game.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I could see that, almost every fighting game as well as a bunch of the wrestling games and few racing games that let you make your own content, all have sub menus, Soul Calibur 3, 4 and 5 had sub menus for your character creations, F-Zero GX had a sub menu for all of your vehicle creations, ect. It's pretty much a given that this was the case for the Miis in the first place, they might have their own slot yeah, but there will most likely be a sub menu to accompany it in the event someone decides to make like 30 Miis.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
A "Create a Character" is still a character. To say they count as 0 almost sounds like you just want to ignore their presence in the game.
So, is the Stage Builder a Stage?

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
The stages you build/use with stage builder are stages just as the Mii Fighter you build/use is a character! :troll:

Regardless, this is an interesting perspective. Albeit, I am inclined to disagree as you cannot actually "create" the character (it is not a tool to use as the stage builder is). You can choose between 3 variants of each special, but the remainder of the move-set (about 3/4 of the moves) is pre-developed and attributed to pre-developed character archetypes. I will; however, agree that they are probably not meant to be treated as three characters (which is why they are titled "Mii Fighter" and I believe they only take up one slot on the CCS, I cannot recall where I gathered that presumption... so hopefully it is true! :cool:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I don't know. I think on the tier list, they'll have nine slots, just as they have three slots on the Mario Kart 8 tier list.

Also; "zero unique moves"? Shot Put? Tenshōkyaku? Gale Strike? Remember those?

SonicMario

Smash Master
The Stage Builder itself isn't a stage. But when you do complete a stage I'd say... um... yes? By it's very core, when you've finished a stage in the Stage Builder. You can fight on it just like any of the official stages. Unless you made it so you can't KO any body, the point is still to try to knock your opponents off the stage. I don't think it needs to be defined by anything more then "You can KO the opponent off the stage" to be a Smash Bros. stage.

The same applies, if not more so with the Miis. You play and fight as them like any other character in the game. The three types will probably have at least one or even three (one for each type) different trophies. They're recognized as Newcomers, and they're a part of Smash 4's biggest addition to the series (Custom Movesets)

I think the Mii Fighters do fit the core of the definition of being a character in Smash Bros. Has the definition of a character in Smash Bros. really become that complicated that they would not count as not even 1 whole character when the total amount of special moves plus the 3 types could make a total of 9 different characters? And that's not even getting into all the combinations that are possible with the special moves, and the size differences that make their movement speed and strength different.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The Stage Builder itself isn't a stage. But when you do complete a stage I'd say... um... yes? By it's very core, when you've finished a stage in the Stage Builder. You can fight on it just like any of the official stages. Unless you made it so you can't KO any body, the point is still to try to knock your opponents off the stage. I don't think it needs to be defined by anything more then "You can KO the opponent off the stage" to be a Smash Bros. stage.

The same applies, if not more so with the Miis. You play and fight as them like any other character in the game. The three types will probably have at least one or even three (one for each type) different trophies. They're recognized as Newcomers, and they're a part of Smash 4's biggest addition to the series (Custom Movesets)

I think the Mii Fighters do fit the core of the definition of being a character in Smash Bros. Has the definition of a character in Smash Bros. really become that complicated that they would not count as not even 1 whole character when the total amount of special moves plus the 3 types could make a total of 9 different characters? And that's not even getting into all the combinations that are possible with the special moves, and the size differences that make their movement speed and strength different.
Mii : character :: Stage Builder : Stage

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well, it appears it is not just a single bar, but an entirely separate SCREEN for the Mii's.

Guess I was right when I asserted they would not be on the CSS (Character Select Screen)

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
Have they said that they don't have any unique moves? Suppose it would make sense though.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It really depends what you consider a unique move.
Some people try to claim clones don't exist in this game.
And they exist as much as the word can apply in the sense of a digital METAPHOR.

Therefore, perspective.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm getting more convinced the Mii fighters either count as 3, or that they count as 0. I am leaning towards them counting as 0, with the idea that Sakurai thinks of them as a tool- a create a fighter, but that the public simply considers them three characters.
http://www.gamnesia.com/news/sakurai-explains-why-he-added-mii-fighters-to-smash-bros#.VBByjRY7YSM
Notice how the writer of the piece says 'three characters,' but Sakurai himself just calls them a tool?

I am aware that in the past he said the Mii Fighters took the work of three characters, but I'm not sure that means exactly what we think it does. If 6 clones take the work of one original fighter, it does not mean that the one original fighter is 6 characters, nor that the clone is 1/6 of a character. To me, Sakurai views the Mii Fighters as a create a character.

SaburoDaimando

Smash Rookie
In my mind, I have been wanting a Create-a-Fighter for Smash Bros since the N64 original. It would always be fun to ether pit myself(Or a celebrity or another fictional character) against Mario and the gang. The Miis are the closest I get towards doing just that. Though in the future, I hope they expand on the Create-a-player(Or the Miis)

Top Bottom