• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mii Swordfighter Social: Guide Hype

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I now understand, the swordfighter social is the kitchen!...of a household that eats out :p

Gastrolizard

Smash Rookie
NNID
gastrolizard
(EDIT) I just figured out that Swordsman's Knockback/Sword Size is determined by his weight.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
While the sword size increase, there is no range increase from weight. You have been ruse my friend. Welcome to Butter Knife Spiders! Enjoy your stay.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Weight does matter the ever so slightest bit. The 0.3 extra damage from min weight to ~80% weight on small miis makes it so that dtilt is safe from 3 frame jabs OoS at any distance and 2 frame jabs from the max distance of the jab. Low weight mii's dtilt is punishable by frame 3 jabs up close, and can only power shield it at max distance.

Still doesn't matter much. Any bit of staling will make them both unsafe to frame 3 jabs eventually.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
@ Berserker. Berserker. you are not allowed to call swordspider BKF because Tall swordfighter F-smash hits two character lengths away

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Since we're discussing height, I was wondering... is there any value in going with a 60-70% height Swordfighter? I know max height is flat-out too slow on attacks to be worthwhile, but would the extra reach on 60-70 offer something over the 1/4th height one we currently run?

I did some tests and 50% size offers very little meaningful increase in range over 1/4, but 60-70 does seem to. At 1/4 I find myself often outranged by even Wii Fit Trainer (!), and don't know if Swordfighter's attack speed even at 1/4 size is enough to make up for that.

Your thoughts?

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Since we're discussing height, I was wondering... is there any value in going with a 60-70% height Swordfighter? I know max height is flat-out too slow on attacks to be worthwhile, but would the extra reach on 60-70 offer something over the 1/4th height one we currently run?

I did some tests and 50% size offers very little meaningful increase in range over 1/4, but 60-70 does seem to. At 1/4 I find myself often outranged by even Wii Fit Trainer (!), and don't know if Swordfighter's attack speed even at 1/4 size is enough to make up for that.

Your thoughts?
hilariously WFT actually has plenty of range its just that they are spread awkwardly. I know what you mean though about the range. had some friendlies with a Zelda forum goer whose name escapes me ATM his DK fla out out range Swordfighter with everything he did it was so annoying.

I personally find the speed drop on even default Swordfighter to not be a worth while investment

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
That's kind of frustrating. I've been trying the character out, but had very little success so far due to being out-ranged by so many things. I do much better using all sorts of other characters. Not even obvious top tier ones.

While I do feel people were being ridiculous by putting Swordfighter in a 'worst of the worst' tier by itself... am I missing something here, or is Swordfighter really pretty lacking?

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
That's kind of frustrating. I've been trying the character out, but had very little success so far due to being out-ranged by so many things. I do much better using all sorts of other characters. Not even obvious top tier ones.

While I do feel people were being ridiculous by putting Swordfighter in a 'worst of the worst' tier by itself... am I missing something here, or is Swordfighter really pretty lacking?
As far as I understand it, some of Swordfighter's biggest weaknesses are start- and end-lag on moves, and kill opportunities. @ Antonykun Antonykun has also said- and I'll agree with him on this point- that Swordfighter just does not do well with shield pressuring.

Swordfighter does have a number of good moves, I think (such as U-air and D-air)- it's just probably that the bad outweighs the good, for the most part, which is probably the most justifiable reason for Swordfighter's position on most tier lists right now.

I personally think that Swordfighter isn't the worst. I can see that he/she isn't terribly great compared to other characters, but I think there are ways to get around his/her weaknesses.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
As far as I understand it, some of Swordfighter's biggest weaknesses are start- and end-lag on moves, and kill opportunities. @ Antonykun Antonykun has also said- and I'll agree with him on this point- that Swordfighter just does not do well with shield pressuring.

Swordfighter does have a number of good moves, I think (such as U-air and D-air)- it's just probably that the bad outweighs the good, for the most part, which is probably the most justifiable reason for Swordfighter's position on most tier lists right now.

I personally think that Swordfighter isn't the worst. I can see that he/she isn't terribly great compared to other characters, but I think there are ways to get around his/her weaknesses.
My opinion on Swordfighter is exactly like yours. Though it helps that the tiny version of the character is quite viable. I'll even say it's mid tier.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051

theres a reason why the thread tittle is the dreaming optimist personality. Swordfighter demands you warp your head around him. This is a character who for every 2 strengths, he has 3 flaws. Swordfighter lacks both Short hop aerials that aren't a perfectly spaced n-air and an effective form of shield pressure due to a lack of kill throws and kill set ups from a throw. a very easy way to look at Swordfighter is to think of him as a heavy ground oriented Toon link with a better grab but worse throws spacing with SoLs and d-tilts while taking the occasional jab lock

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
...Yeah, I've given the character a fair shake and while I think "H tier" is an unfair assessment of the character... I am not having fun. Too many major flaws for me to really enjoy this. A shame, since Swordfighter was THE Mii I wanted to work with when they were announced.

Thank you very much for your thoughts and research, though! San, Antony, EmblemLord, and everyone else who has contributed info. I'm glad I can at least say "No, it's not me; there's a problem with the character." Would have eaten at me for months if I kept pounding away on this with no other input.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
The combo game has potential to be quite devastating at least. I can get 40-60+ combos going with some combo links only leaving a few frames to escape and gets frame trapped. Many attacks combo into each other when you hit with the tiny version. However, penetrating defense is lackluster and swordfighter's own defense when hit is pretty dang bad.

Tiny Mii's aerials are around -5 to 10 on shield drop which can be somewhat safe on shield when spaced. The problem is that quick aerials can just interrupt him and then he is put in punishable situations.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
...Yeah, I've given the character a fair shake and while I think "H tier" is an unfair assessment of the character... I am not having fun. Too many major flaws for me to really enjoy this. A shame, since Swordfighter was THE Mii I wanted to work with when they were announced.

Thank you very much for your thoughts and research, though! San, Antony, EmblemLord, and everyone else who has contributed info. I'm glad I can at least say "No, it's not me; there's a problem with the character." Would have eaten at me for months if I kept pounding away on this with no other input.
its cool accepting he's bad id the first step in enjoying swordfighter. It's perfectly fine to just say "nah, I don't want to keep going with this bad character"

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
my swordfighter guide is halfway done and has 1600+ words already. Halp

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
*1 week later because edits don't trigger alerts*
I have arrived, fun's over
also apparently I am INFP. damn thread title inb4'ing me

Last edited:

ZarroTsu

Smash Journeyman
Just my brief analysis on Mii Sword, after not playing the game for like a month, but I feel like the larger you make him the more strictly defensive he becomes. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it dramatically changes how you need to play him.

Plus extra range on Fsmash means punishing rolls without having to actually move much (not that you could).

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Just my brief analysis on Mii Sword, after not playing the game for like a month, but I feel like the larger you make him the more strictly defensive he becomes. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it dramatically changes how you need to play him.

Plus extra range on Fsmash means punishing rolls without having to actually move much (not that you could).
I kida wish tall miis got a significant power buff just so all that range doesn't go to waste

I have a tournament tomorrow. Definitely will go 100% Shulk all the way. I may use Swordfighter in friendlies along with Zelderp. Customs are not allowed which I'm completely fine with (no windboxes to deal with, at least)

.... Aaaaaand never mind. Parent johns >_______________>

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I have a tournament tomorrow. Definitely will go 100% Shulk all the way. I may use Swordfighter in friendlies along with Zelderp. Customs are not allowed which I'm completely fine with (no windboxes to deal with, at least)

.... Aaaaaand never mind. Parent johns >_______________>
parent johns are the reason why i have yet to appear on the VGC Boot Camp stream

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I don't consider myself competitive, but I once entered a Smash 4 3DS tournament (before Wii U came out), mostly because it conveniently took place on my university campus. Although I guess I don't have "parent johns" to worry about, I don't know about entering tournaments in general just because I'm more of a casual player.

Not to mention I live in Southern California, which seems to me to be much more Melee-focused, so there aren't really many Smash 4 tournaments around my area that I'm aware of anyway.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
My parent's see me going to tournament as a hobby. They're fine with it. Note that my local doesn't have a prize pool. It's just for pride reasons.

I've been to tournaments already but I'm relatively inconsistent with attendance because I only go to tournaments when I feel like it.

It's a rarity that my parents are the reason why I can't go. The reasons this time though are really dumb. Lol

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
I was super inconsistent during the Brawl days. Literally, like 2-3 tourneys a year. Had some issues with my main.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Oh cool! A pointy stick fighter social. Iunno why I never check this board, but now I will remember to do that!!

Top Bottom