• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mii Fighter size variation

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Was this talked about anywhere?

upload_2014-6-15_15-25-41.png

The boy in the middle is clearly smaller than the other Mii Fighters. This is not specific to the Brawlers, as there are other times when the three types are clearly the same height, such as in the screenshot that featured them as the PotD.

1. Is there continuous size variation, or will it be like Mario Kart 8 with only three sizes?

2. Do you think this comes with any statistical variation? e.g. are smaller Miis weaker?

3. Seems like custom Miis will probably end up banned in tournaments because of this. Mii Fighters will probably have to use default Miis that are the default size.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I am speculating that the height/weight variations are going to be purely cosmetic; however, I suppose a smaller Mii would be more advantageous given the smaller hit-box. So I am not entirely sure. If I was a developer though, I would probably clarify how that works. As they have not, I presume it has nothing to do with game-play.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
It can't help but affect gameplay.

It either results in a different size hitbox, or it results in a misleading hitbox - smaller Miis get hit when it looks like their opponent is hitting the air, and larger Miis don't get hit even when the move overlaps with their model.

Both of those affect gameplay.

If sizes don't affect stats, then making your Mii as small as possible to reduce hitbox size is probably what will happen. Unless there's greater range for larger characters, which might not be worth it compared to a smaller hitbox.

If it does affect stats, then Miis will have more statistical variation than other characters. If it's continuous variation, well, people won't like that because changing your size in response to different match ups will be a thing. Except Mii Maker is too time consuming, so that's not workable for tournaments.

Even if it's only 3 possible sizes, it could cause problems... But at least that would mean that a tournament only needs to have 3 size variations on hand to allow the full range of Miis.

Last edited:

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
when you make a mii in mii maker on the 3DS, and I'm guessing wii U but I don't have one, you can choose height and weight. This might affect the in game character height and weight which would help customization amazingly. making a small heavy character or a large heavy character like bowser. Or a tall light one like rosalina or small light one. Any option at your disposal. It is a very interesting concept.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
And now we know:

"Pic of the day. Some of the physical characteristics of Miis get carried over when you use them as Mii Fighters. The smaller ones become speed fighters and the bigger ones are more akin to power fighters."

It does affect fighter attributes. Although we don't know how many gradations there are. Probably just three.

This seems like it will have implications on the competitive scene. Simple solution is that you have to use a default Mii, but they might be balanced anyway... Still introduces a lot of variation, especially in combination with the custom moves...

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Great, now I won't know if my fresh Usmash will kill the mii on its current %.
Usually you know when you can kill a character depending on their %, even with perfect DI, but the miis are here to put an end to that.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
We'll just have to be a bit more adaptable, I guess. They won't be THAT different, anyway, and we can probably tell by looking at them...

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Okay, so not only do we already have at least 387 possible combinations of fighters, we have to add to that the extra possibilities of their size! That could leave us with at least 729 combinations (if we use light weight, middle weight, heavy weight). BUT EVEN MORE THEN THAT a tall skinny Mii with have different hit and hurt boxes then a short skinny Mii. The amount of possibilities are astronomical.

Man I've posted that in quite a few threads now but this really is mind blowing. Can we really expect players to be able to learn and deal with over 729 unique fighters at events?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Okay, so not only do we already have at least 387 possible combinations of fighters, we have to add to that the extra possibilities of their size! That could leave us with at least 729 combinations (if we use light weight, middle weight, heavy weight). BUT EVEN MORE THEN THAT a tall skinny Mii with have different hit and hurt boxes then a short skinny Mii. The amount of possibilities are astronomical.

Man I've posted that in quite a few threads now but this really is mind blowing. Can we really expect players to be able to learn and deal with over 729 unique fighters at events?
It won't be that difficult. All those combinations, yes, that's a lot, but those are all made of a pretty small number of parts that we'll see tons of times apiece. I think we can handle it.

If a competitor doesn't know how to adapt to the unexpected, that's their problem.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
It won't be that difficult. All those combinations, yes, that's a lot, but those are all made of a pretty small number of parts that we'll see tons of times apiece. I think we can handle it.

If a competitor doesn't know how to adapt to the unexpected, that's their problem.
What if it creates a problem of overcentralizing the game?

It puts low-tier characters at a greater disadvantage since they have fewer options. The balance of the tier list could go totally askew. the characters that are better equipped to deal with any thread will be the only ones chosen. Which could mean the only way to be viable competitively is to play as a Mii., the character with the most options. That would create an issue.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
It does affect fighter attributes. Although we don't know how many gradations there are. Probably just three.
I'm not so sure about that, there is nothing to indicate that there would only be three gradations of height. Also, looking carefully at past screenshots, it appears as if the weight of the Mii will also be reflected in SSB, at least to a degree. However, I could be mistaken, and it is possible that there indeed will only be three height/weight combinations available. Only time will tell (unless Sakurai does).

On a more general note, today's picture has me a bit worried. I almost exclusively make all of my Miis at almost max. height in an attempt to best reflect real life proportions. Now I learn that tall Miis will apparently be power characters? But I much prefer speedy characters! Looks like I may have to make a copy of my Mii just for Smash Bros. so I can play as Mii and get my preferred playstyle... I'll test out how I play when the game comes out and make up my mind for sure then. Who knows, maybe I'll love the power Miis more than the speedy Miis!

Top Bottom