• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest Tourny Stages

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
I made this thread because it was needed and big c's tournament thread wasn't the right place for it. Discuss!

So I read about what was goign on and such. And it's funny how people are complaining about camping. Camping has been around for a VERY long time. Great strategy I should say. If one person is "good" enough than they should find a tactic to stop it. As simple as that.

And about counterpicking...... I like strategically counterpicking. It has been around since melee (don't know for sure) It was intended to give the person an advantage against there opponent. And If one person is very good shouldn't they win it anyways? They'll need to learn to adapt. They counterpick nuetrals a lot but that's there choice. Counterpicking shouldn't be just for nuetral stages just because most people use nuetral stages for counterpicking anyways.

BigGman

Smash Journeyman
i think counterpicking should only give the loser a slight edge. if it gives more, than a couple problems arise. first, the set becomes a best of one. if i win a close first match, and my opponent takes me to a stage that i have a severe disadvantage and get three stocked, then i do the same to him, what does that prove? if this set was done on only neutrals, then it's possible to have three close games, which would give a better result in terms of skill, and not abuse of tactics. the second problem is balance. the choosing of certain stages may require people to change characters. if someone is changing characters, usually they go to a higher tier or a character with a specific advantage to where they are going. how many low tier characters have a specific advantage on any stage? i can't think of any that would be tournament worthy.

in a tournament match, i want the players to decide who wins the set, not the stages. that's the fairest way. i don't like cars getting in my way when i am comboing people. even though they may come at a set time, you cannot control what you are doing at that time. that still makes them random.

i do find camping a viable strategy, i just think it is an inferior one. i also don't like strategies when combined with certain stage picks become too powerful. for example, a camping fox on pokefloats. this match may not be broken, but it is very difficult to beat.

Top Bottom