• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midnight Release Question..

monkeyfan1

Smash Rookie
How does a midnight release work?

I'm going to pick my copy up at Best Buy and I know there will probably be a line. But do they just OPEN the doors at 12 and everyone runs in? Do they have a table set up in front with the games or something? Or are they going to just direct people right to the registers?

Anyone else going to Best Buy to pick their copy up at midnight? What time do you plan on getting there?

Wyze

Smash Cadet
They're going to make you wait in line, because there's a poster at my nearest Gamestop that says "Line starts at 10". And its funny because the tourney goers (i'm one of them :D) have to be there at 9:30, so I guess they're trying to make this like a...30 minute tourney or something?? lol

gcguest

Smash Apprentice
Depends on where you go. Usually doors open shortly after midnight, and they let certain amount of people in the store at the time. Go to the cashier or table, get your game, pay and leave, then they let more people in.
Usually how it goes.

lavagolem123

Smash Journeyman
I'm interested in this too...It's my first time reserving a game and frankly I'm glad I did with all this talk about heavily crowded game stores for the release. On average, how long does the process take? I know it's dependant on the length of the line and your position in it, but, just an estimate? I don't wanna show up and have to wait 'till like 3:00 a.m. >_< But then again...this is Brawl =P

Air Jordan

Smash Cadet
oh and do the people who reserved the game go first, cause this too is my first time reserving a popular like SSBB.

gcguest

Smash Apprentice
Nope its first come first serve at the door, and depending on how many lined up, shouldnt take long
Halo 3 with like 300 people took under a hour

ThaCarter

Smash Rookie
How will the malls be doing this?I reserved my game at the mall and they said they will be having a midnight release.I thought that was pretty odd.

EToaster

Smash Apprentice
You'll probably want to call them and get details on when to show up, and what entrance to the mall to use.

Basmothel

Smash Cadet
How will the malls be doing this?I reserved my game at the mall and they said they will be having a midnight release.I thought that was pretty odd.
I would suggest asking your local store that as malls may have different policies regarding this. Many stores in malls may not even be having a midnight release as they have to pay for security to stay late, so only stores that would make enough profit (IE: big cities/tons of preorders) will stay open for a midnight release.

Most likely you will either have to be there before the rest of the mall closes or they'll have someone at the entrance closest to the store to let people in and make sure they only go to the game store.

Personally, my local mall closes at 9:30, which is the time I have to be there by to sign up for the tournament, I believe. And a section of my mall (although on the opposite side from the Gamespot) is open past midnight daily, due to a theatre and Gameworks.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
Check the online tournament list. If your store is in a mall but is on the list, you're guaranteed a midnight release.

The line may "start" at 10 according to the gamestop ads, but I believe they're referring to the tournaments. There's no reason to start lining up two hours in advance.

It's a forum

Smash Apprentice
Anyone know when the stores change their clocks?
Is it Midnight with the time change or without?
I would just love to get Brawl at 11 instead of 1.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
****, is that when we have to adjust our clocks? Gay...

I think you'll be able to pick it up at 12 AM current time...setting...dealy...which means 1 AM after the daylight savings adjustment.

It's a forum

Smash Apprentice
I've been trying to find a loop whole in the "Sabbath day" thing. You know don't work on Sundays, don't buy stuff on Sundays.
Aw well I guess a couple hours over won't kill me.

mukai013

Smash Rookie
im getting mine in the morning of the sunday release at gamestop..should i be prepared to wait in a huge line?

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
I wonder , will they be giving out numbers to know the order of the people waiting? Cause i don't want me participating in the tournament make me be behind 30 random people in line who came while i was playing lol.

I've been trying to find a loop whole in the "Sabbath day" thing. You know don't work on Sundays, don't buy stuff on Sundays.
Aw well I guess a couple hours over won't kill me.
You can't find somethign that doesn't exist , what you wanted to say was "loophole" .:p

Basmothel

Smash Cadet
It depends on where you live. Some places change the clock at 2 AM, some at 4 AM.

Some like Arizona, where I am currently located, don't even change the clock at all.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
I wonder , will they be giving out numbers to know the order of the people waiting? Cause i don't want me participating in the tournament make me be behind 30 random people in line who came while i was playing lol.
I don't think it matters much. They handle preorders fairly quickly and most gamestops will have 2-3 registers going at once. You'll get your copy without much of a wait.

Basmothel

Smash Cadet
At Gamecube launch, the local Wal-Mart put down a certain number of chairs in Electronics and said, "Whoever is sitting in these chairs at midnight gets a Gamecube." They had like six of them, though sadly, even though I was the first one sitting down, I was like the third one to get a Gamecube since I sat in the middle chair. <_<

I would wager that Gamespot will allow those who participated in the tournament and pre-ordered to be first in line, especially considering the first round prize is Brawl, if I recall correctly.

bl2i4n

Smash Rookie
new person here but i think i have some valueble info
the time it takes to get the game depends on your place in the line, so the earlier you get in line the faster you will receive your game. I was camping out for the Halo 3 release at my local gamestop and they formed lines 3 hours early outside the mall and luckily i was i think 10-15ish person in line (the lines was like at least 100 people) and it only took about 10 mins to get the game but they were letting in 5 people into the store at once. all im saying is go early.:chuckle:

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
At Gamecube launch, the local Wal-Mart put down a certain number of chairs in Electronics and said, "Whoever is sitting in these chairs at midnight gets a Gamecube." They had like six of them, though sadly, even though I was the first one sitting down, I was like the third one to get a Gamecube since I sat in the middle chair. <_<

I would wager that Gamespot will allow those who participated in the tournament and pre-ordered to be first in line, especially considering the first round prize is Brawl, if I recall correctly.
I hope thats true since i've preordered too and i still even have the receipt...and lmao about the chairs...did they play music chairs or something ? XD

Chrnocide

Smash Apprentice
For those who are asking about how it'll work at the mall, my mom works at the mall, and she says 1 of 2 things will happen:

1. They will make you line up at the doors closest to the store inside the mall.. like, the door from the outside.

2. They will not even bother closing the doors from the outside, and just make you wait outside the actual store in the mall.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
2. They will not even bother closing the doors from the outside, and just make you wait outside the actual store in the mall.
This is what happened with me at my local mall with Final Fantasy XII. Most stores will do this, especially considering how horribly cold it will be at midnight.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
Considering i'll be already in for the tourney...i doubt i'll be pushed out for the line lol.

But again my gamestop is at a shopping plaza...basically a huge parking lot with stores on the sidewalk around it...and there's no way they can close that down since there's a 24/7 market there...so who knows lol.

ConeZone

Smash Ace
just go at midnight if you aren't worried about getting a copy, you shouldn't be if you pre-ordered..if you are worried just go a few hours early to ensure you get a good spot in line. i will be going a few hours early just to be safe

Azureliske

Smash Rookie
For those of you whom are curious, and have your preorders at Best Buy and are wondering how they will run it, I work for the company and can answer those questions.

First, and most importantly, not all Best Buys are doing the midnight release. It is a very select list because most stores have contractual agreements with their landholders regarding if they are permitted to do midnight releases for particular games or on certain days. General Managers can also opt for, or against the midnight release. Please click the banner at the top of www.bestbuy.com/SuperSmash to see if your store is listed so you can avoid potential dissapointment. My store, as it happens, is not doing a midnight release.

So far as the process goes, stores are supposed to arrange for a line outside of the store and hand out tickets based on the size of the line, if all their copies are accounted for. Preorders are accounted for and set aside, and cannot be redeemed at a store you did not reserve it at. Each store will recieve between 50-500 in the initial shipment. I'll let you all in on a little secret as well, most Best Buys should have Wiis that morning.

Anything else?

Muffinabus

Smash Rookie
For those of you whom are curious, and have your preorders at Best Buy and are wondering how they will run it, I work for the company and can answer those questions.

First, and most importantly, not all Best Buys are doing the midnight release. It is a very select list because most stores have contractual agreements with their landholders regarding if they are permitted to do midnight releases for particular games or on certain days. General Managers can also opt for, or against the midnight release. Please click the banner at the top of www.bestbuy.com/SuperSmash to see if your store is listed so you can avoid potential dissapointment. My store, as it happens, is not doing a midnight release.

So far as the process goes, stores are supposed to arrange for a line outside of the store and hand out tickets based on the size of the line, if all their copies are accounted for. Preorders are accounted for and set aside, and cannot be redeemed at a store you did not reserve it at. Each store will recieve between 50-500 in the initial shipment. I'll let you all in on a little secret as well, most Best Buys should have Wiis that morning.

Anything else?
Are they only giving out preorders at the midnight release or can you walk in and buy one? The store 20 minutes away from me is having a midnight release, but I haven't preordered or anything, I just plan to show up. I know the store is getting ~200 copies. I can't imagine every one of those copies being specific to preorders.

Azureliske

Smash Rookie
Are they only giving out preorders at the midnight release or can you walk in and buy one? The store 20 minutes away from me is having a midnight release, but I haven't preordered or anything, I just plan to show up. I know the store is getting ~200 copies. I can't imagine every one of those copies being specific to preorders.
You can walk in and buy one. Stores are not allowed to have sold every copy to pre-orders. There is a point where the system rejects further preorders. Most have hit it a week or two ago.

Top Bottom