• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midnight Ops Mafia: Game Thread. Game Over!

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm curious why you expected me to.

What alignment did you play in your earlier games? Were you Town, mafia?

Can you explain what this means?

Is Xivii's posting rate a bad thing? I don't understand how this vote follows from the statement above.
Town mostly. I’ve only been Mafia once.

Trisscar

Smash Ace
Can you explain what this means?
Mechanics heavy, because most of the roles are stated and some are guaranteed. So you fill in the slots you can confirm, and suddenly claim space is severely limited.
Sudoku.

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
Because you commented on the other two slots and I had multiple times their content.

For example, in this post you quoted everything relevant.
That's true, but I don't treat your content in the same way that I treat the content of a player I don't know at all. There was nothing that pinged me as AI in your content, so I was happy to let you do your thing and see what developed.

What have you or did you intend to gain from this, LaserGuy?
NSG's opener looks to be coming more from scum POV. Since he is apparently new(ish), I was curious if his previous games had happened to be all/mostly mafia-aligned as that might give him a bit of a skewed perspective. One game out of several doesn't seem like it should, so I'm leaving him on a scum lean. I feel like maybe there's a bit of a discrepancy in how he's describing his experience, but I've seen people try to push this as some sort of a tell before and I've never seen it be fruitful so I'm probably going to let that be.

somitomi

Smash Journeyman
You earned yourself a BoomFrog badge of honor last game. I'm going to let you do your thing and I will lynch you D3 if you haven't caught scum.
Wait, if noone can make heads or tails of Xivii, we might be in trouble :-)
Thanks Raxxel. I wasn't anticipating such a well thought out answer. I always town read you early on even when you're scum, so I'm going to need to see your play overtime to make a decent evaluation. I'll mainly be looking for whether or not you consistently participate in the thread, as lurking seems to be your most consistent scum tell. My initial impression, however, is that you are town, but that is because I think LaserGuy is scum and that his read on you is from being scum!informed.
And now you probably blew that consistent tell my telling Raxxel about it before you could observe it in this game.
Laser is scum for failing to acknowledge my slot initially, his read on Raxxel, and his push on NSG. To be clear, NSG and LaserGuy are scummates.
I wouldn't call this a "push", LaserGuy just noted that NSG's first post pinged him and honestly it is slightly susp.
he just was making predictions.
I guess the obvious random vote wasn't obvious enough. I hope at least we're all clear that those "predictions" were tongue in cheek.
That has some interesting interpretations at this moment in history. XD
Just to be clear, does "this moment in history" refer to the game state or some events in the whole wide world?

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
Wait, if noone can make heads or tails of Xivii, we might be in trouble :-)
I can read Xivii, I just have to give him zero credit for emotional outbursts.

Vote Chaco

Overly defensive about lurking, and votes the one guy who is participating most, which is maximizing the jokeness of the vote and minimizing the chance to start scum hunting.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Okay so I don’t have a computer, so multi quoting will be a bit difficult for me. So I probably won’t do it.

So you don’t find it off Xivii completely ignores the fact I call him out for being into everything, after being into everything? Generally speaking when someone chooses to ignore any look to them after feigning so much activity, that’s a scum tell. I don’t see anything logical about his play thus far.

Second , it’s hard to decipher dumb/scum due to the way he’s currently playing. Relatively most of what he’s posted is fluff.

Third, game opened up 3 hours after I last viewed the thread cause I moved houses yesterday... how would I be lurking at 1pm when game wasn’t open then? It’s okay though to make a jab at a player you have no idea how they play, but that’s a reach at best.

FoS: Boomfrog
Insta defense of Xivii while crediting his word as fact.

cool with somitomi currently.
Laser is town vibey to me rn cause he brings genuine question
Non specific read on non specific guy
Interested in Raxxels thoughts

rest are literally off radar rn

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
That has some interesting interpretations at this moment in history. XD

This game seems like it'll be rather sudoku heavy tbh.
Expand on this. I assume you mean this game will have a lot of players willingly being lynched. I'm less curious of the why and more as to how you came to that conclusion.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Okay so I don’t have a computer, so multi quoting will be a bit difficult for me. So I probably won’t do it.

So you don’t find it off Xivii completely ignores the fact I call him out for being into everything, after being into everything? Generally speaking when someone chooses to ignore any look to them after feigning so much activity, that’s a scum tell. I don’t see anything logical about his play thus far.

Second , it’s hard to decipher dumb/scum due to the way he’s currently playing. Relatively most of what he’s posted is fluff.

Third, game opened up 3 hours after I last viewed the thread cause I moved houses yesterday... how would I be lurking at 1pm when game wasn’t open then? It’s okay though to make a jab at a player you have no idea how they play, but that’s a reach at best.

cool with somitomi currently.
Laser is town vibey to me rn cause he brings genuine question
Non specific read on non specific guy
Interested in Raxxels thoughts

rest are literally off radar rn
To be honest I don't get what you mean about Xivii at all. I think Xivii's been relatively proactive, especially for early game. I don't think your criticism of him "being into everything" makes much sense either, so I can't blame him for not addressing it when you're essentially just criticizing his hyperactivity, which isn't valid imo and therefor there's little to say about it.

Chaco

Never Logs In
To be honest I don't get what you mean about Xivii at all. I think Xivii's been relatively proactive, especially for early game. I don't think your criticism of him "being into everything" makes much sense either, so I can't blame him for not addressing it when you're essentially just criticizing his hyperactivity, which isn't valid imo and therefor there's little to say about it.
Could be lack of play for me over the years, but a tell for me always was feigning activity. Posting for the sake of posting basically, because I don’t see anything other than fluff. Can you show me where he’s been proactive in your opinion because I just don’t see it. Again D1 is a cluster until people get to posting, but I don’t see anything useful but from certain people.

Ill probably look through his other town play here soon after I get some more stuff unpacked get a basis to see if what I feel is right, or just inherent to his play

fontisian

Smash Champion
I'm going to pull us off topic for a sec to talk mechanics. Looking at the setup, there's a chance of having a visitor. N1 we could say if you are the visitor, target x person. The voyuer can then choose to target that person if they want to learn the indentity of the visitor, and if they instead choose to target elsewhere and see someone, they will then know they did not see the Visitor. Theoretically, we could also extend this the neapolitan targetting the same person, thus potentially giving two confirmed town to the masons n1 and allowing them to better steer the village d2. We then start d2 with everyone giving a neapolitan soft on the individual chosen to target (i.e. if we chose Xivii, I would start the Day saying "if I am the neapolitan, I checked Xivii as vanilla"). The masons then have the info needed to figure out the real neapolitan, and the information on every town role except potentially the chocolate to decide what to do with the neap checks.

Mafia could interfere with this strategy by role blocking a role n1 or role copping the assigned target, but they probably wouldn't do the latter because it runs the risk of outing them.

Thoughts?

Chaco

Never Logs In
I'm going to pull us off topic for a sec to talk mechanics. Looking at the setup, there's a chance of having a visitor. N1 we could say if you are the visitor, target x person. The voyuer can then choose to target that person if they want to learn the indentity of the visitor, and if they instead choose to target elsewhere and see someone, they will then know they did not see the Visitor. Theoretically, we could also extend this the neapolitan targetting the same person, thus potentially giving two confirmed town to the masons n1 and allowing them to better steer the village d2. We then start d2 with everyone giving a neapolitan soft on the individual chosen to target (i.e. if we chose Xivii, I would start the Day saying "if I am the neapolitan, I checked Xivii as vanilla"). The masons then have the info needed to figure out the real neapolitan, and the information on every town role except potentially the chocolate to decide what to do with the neap checks.

Mafia could interfere with this strategy by role blocking a role n1 or role copping the assigned target, but they probably wouldn't do the latter because it runs the risk of outing them.

Thoughts?
I don’t think you can truthfully work around this setup especially D1-N1. Play to your power until you something to work with, imo. To many night actions here, and no protection, and it’s all investigate/block/communicate. I just don’t know if ninja or traitor is more likely here, or if either is even active. Ninja would be OP with 4 scum I think though. Masons are our bread and butter. I do agree outing Neapolitan with a positive VT could definitely turn it in towns favor, especially if combo’d N1 positive from Masons. However, that strength makes me think ninja is possible. Cause you can clear essentially two people N1 outside of Masons, and that leaves basically 4 confirmed town starting possible even 5. Neo, masons, neo target if applicable, and reported actions/not from mason abilities.

I think Neo is one of our greatest assets here, and that person should play to their power until they think the time is right, UNLESS there is other information to move forward with, or saving from a ML. And it plays against scum to counterclaim unless it’s late game, so I’m kindve with you. Just depends on what information is presented. I however do not agree with directing traffic.

fontisian

Smash Champion
I don’t think you can truthfully work around this setup especially D1-N1. Play to your power until you something to work with, imo. To many night actions here, and no protection, and it’s all investigate/block/communicate. I just don’t know if ninja or traitor is more likely here, or if either is even active. Ninja would be OP with 4 scum I think though. Masons are our bread and butter. I do agree outing Neapolitan with a positive VT could definitely turn it in towns favor, especially if combo’d N1 positive from Masons. However, that strength makes me think ninja is possible. Cause you can clear essentially two people N1 outside of Masons, and that leaves basically 4 confirmed town starting possible even 5. Neo, masons, neo target if applicable, and reported actions/not from mason abilities.

I think Neo is one of our greatest assets here, and that person should play to their power until they think the time is right, UNLESS there is other information to move forward with, or saving from a ML. And it plays against scum to counterclaim unless it’s late game, so I’m kindve with you. Just depends on what information is presented. I however do not agree with directing traffic.
I am so confused. I feel like you haven't read the setup or aren't thinking about it? The ninja shot from scum cannot effect this plan, because it is not dependent on catching scum actions.

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
The voyuer can then choose to target that person if they want to learn the indentity of the visitor, and if they instead choose to target elsewhere and see someone, they will then know they did not see the Visitor.
I think voyeur only detects the action taken, not the player who took it. The role you're thinking of is watcher. Regarding mechanics, I think there's probably a good argument for chocolate townie to just claim D1 if they exist.

Why do you think Xivii is feigning activity rather than just being active?

This feels very defensive. Xivii's post was obviously in jest.

I don't really get where you think BoomFrog is taking Xivii's word as fact. I don't really like this post at all.

Unvote
Vote: Chaco

Chaco

Never Logs In
I am so confused. I feel like you haven't read the setup or aren't thinking about it? The ninja shot from scum cannot effect this plan, because it is not dependent on catching scum actions.
Talking about setup speculation as a whole outside of your plan, which I stand by initially and say let roles play to their power.

fontisian

Smash Champion
I think voyeur only detects the action taken, not the player who took it. The role you're thinking of is watcher. Regarding mechanics, I think there's probably a good argument for chocolate townie to just claim D1 if they exist.
Damn it, ok, that ruins the whole thing.

Chaco

Never Logs In

Why do you think Xivii is feigning activity rather than just being active?

This feels very defensive. Xivii's post was obviously in jest.

I don't really get where you think BoomFrog is taking Xivii's word as fact. I don't really like this post at all.

Unvote
Vote: Chaco
because as I asked Raxxel, point me out to anything of any value that Xivii has actually brought forward.
And tbr I don’t that post was jest because he went through and looked at multiple peoples activities, so how do you see that as jest? Many of his other posts have completely been pointless. I mean I understand we are D1 and you can only do so much at game start, but anytime I’ve seen activity levels like that with basically nothing to say dumb/scum. So you tell me which. He doesn’t seem dumb to me. Like I said I have to assess his other town play to have a basis of comparison, but as of right now, it seems to be presenting his face with only surface basis.

and suspicion of boom frog? He says I get defensive about lurking and saying that in defensiveness I attack the most active person. I mean can you hear the chainsaw? Attack to protect.

Chaco

Never Logs In
And he takes the post you say is jest and takes it to a factual basis of I am lurking and defensive of Xivii’s initial layout.
So which is It jest or not?

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
Sorry, for inactivity, I've been trying to catch up.

3DSNinja - town (probability)
Jackrito - scum (number 2 slot)
Trisscar - town (number 3 slot)
Fontisian - town (process of elimination)
#HBC | FrozeηFlame - town (hasn't confirmed which is a town tell)
Chaco - scum (lurking)
Somitomi - town (playing to his meta)
Darkpit54 - scum (frozen)
Raxxel - town (meta)
BoomFrog - (hasn't confirmed which is a scum tell)
Xivii - town (first to post)
LaserGuy - town (isn't online but has confirmed which means eagerly confirmed early)
Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm curious as to if these are genuine predictions or purely in jest. And if they are genuine, could you elaborate on how you reached them?

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
They weren't predictions, it was a read list.
Not to sound like a newbie, but can you explain how you got a read on everyone before the game even began? I'm a bit confused.

Or was somitomi correct in saying they were all tongue-in-cheek and I've just tragically missed the joke?

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Not to sound like a newbie, but can you explain how you got a read on everyone before the game even began? I'm a bit confused.

Or was somitomi correct in saying they were all tongue-in-cheek and I've just tragically missed the joke?
Somi was correct.

Chaco

Never Logs In
In theory yes it would considering other PRs are Masonized. With the exception of Neo would arguably would show up as a visitor? Depends on how mod articulates those actions in results.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Xivii, what do you think of BoomFrog?

Who do you think poses the greatest threat as scum out of these players?

How many of these guys have you played with before?

lastly, what game were you last town in?

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Xivii, what do you think of BoomFrog?

Who do you think poses the greatest threat as scum out of these players?

How many of these guys have you played with before?

lastly, what game were you last town in?
I lean town on BoomFrog. There's something I'm waiting on that would either solidify or reverse that. BoomFrog and Fontisian are the strongest scum players as far as I know. I've played with everyone other than NSG and Dark Pit. We've played together, but the only game I remember is Pikmafia because I reread it recently. My last town game was Token Power Mafia.

Trisscar

Smash Ace
Just to be clear, does "this moment in history" refer to the game state or some events in the whole wide world?
IRL. Just a wild thought I encountered, not going after such a thing or anything.

Third, game opened up 3 hours after I last viewed the thread cause I moved houses yesterday...
Sympathies, just did that a month ago. Hope nothing overly important got broken or lost. XD

Expand on this. I assume you mean this game will have a lot of players willingly being lynched. I'm less curious of the why and more as to how you came to that conclusion.
Willing to be lynched...? I mean I guess if you really wanted to confirm slots, but I don't think that'd be overly necessary.
More mean that lists of claims will likely be much more useful than they might otherwise be, as well as people saying what they did during night actions, as well as CCing and such.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I lean town on BoomFrog. There's something I'm waiting on that would either solidify or reverse that. BoomFrog and Fontisian are the strongest scum players as far as I know. I've played with everyone other than NSG and Dark Pit. We've played together, but the only game I remember is Pikmafia because I reread it recently. My last town game was Token Power Mafia.
Thank you for linking.

Gotcha. So you think that BoomFrogs assessment of my rebut to the lurking comment would take it as a literal PoV? Not a joked early read list?

what makes Boomfrog strong scum, iyo? Same with Fontisian?

what do you think overall about how I’ve read your gameplay thus far? And why the aversion to comment to it? Think I will change my opinion based off of a comparison to your confirmed town okay?

Chaco

Never Logs In
IRL. Just a wild thought I encountered, not going after such a thing or anything.

Sympathies, just did that a month ago. Hope nothing overly important got broken or lost. XD

Willing to be lynched...? I mean I guess if you really wanted to confirm slots, but I don't think that'd be overly necessary.
More mean that lists of claims will likely be much more useful than they might otherwise be, as well as people saying what they did during night actions, as well as CCing and such.
only broke a standup lamp, and was one I wasn’t landing on keeping. So success in that regard.

to the last part of the past, this is my general thoughts as well. So would you agree with what I posted as far as let PRs play to their power?
Neapolitan claim is only thing I could justify early because confusion it could cause late game with a counter claim. Depends on D1/N1 whether it needs to be D2 or D3 respectively, but nothing after that.

Trisscar

Smash Ace
only broke a standup lamp, and was one I wasn’t landing on keeping. So success in that regard.

to the last part of the past, this is my general thoughts as well. So would you agree with what I posted as far as let PRs play to their power?
Neapolitan claim is only thing I could justify early because confusion it could cause late game with a counter claim. Depends on D1/N1 whether it needs to be D2 or D3 respectively, but nothing after that.
Mmm, dunno. VTs aren't exactly easy to confirm without having someone check them, so I don't think a claim fest right NOW is a good idea. The Vts need to be a buffer for the power roles atm so they can do some things and get info. Honestly the best play for town is to have no one be a good nightkill target at all, and force the maf to guess, I think.

Chaco

Never Logs In
:chuckle:
Should I start a tally? Now I'm curious to look back and see if the person who accused me of chainsawing in Oasis was scum.
lol. And that would suit you how? If that’s your indicators you have a lot to learn, imo. Soft buddying, chainsaw, leaving trail, whatever you may have it, your post logically has no standing point if the initial was all a joke, correct? Your motivations eluding me, but I do see a distinct difference in how Xivii is handling me versus how bad he was at it with ExLight from his linked game. Man responded to everything thrown at him. Of course I’m only 4 pages in currently, but play style is noticeably different.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Mmm, dunno. VTs aren't exactly easy to confirm without having someone check them, so I don't think a claim fest right NOW is a good idea. The Vts need to be a buffer for the power roles atm so they can do some things and get info. Honestly the best play for town is to have no one be a good nightkill target at all, and force the maf to guess, I think.
Depends on who your scum are and what motivates their NK. As of right now I see no clear course of action I would take, but then again this game is so certain players heavy it promotes a lot of people to get by minimally atm, and skate under the radar. But our deadline for D1 is what end of the week? So we have time to force them in here

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
funny you said lurking, my psn tag has lurkin in it. Lol. But nah, not lurking.

xivii posts a lot and seems to be up in everything, but I don’t know how anyone plays here except Frozenflame and that’s been years.

Vote: Xivii
Which part of this post was a joke and which part was serious?

Top Bottom