• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MG&W is ticking me off...

AlbertoCruz

Smash Rookie
Ok. Now i'm figthing. Mr. Game and Watch. Everything fine UNTIL i go airborne... then that frame begins pushing me upwards with his UP+A move, and i can't recover... I've tried counterattacking with down+a, with a, even dodging, but when this happens is my end, he begins juggling me with that and the up smash, or receives me with a side smash until Zelda is flying off the stage.

Any ideas?

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
You could use zelda's teleport to go below him.
Winnar! The other options are to move in horizontal fashions which opens up the possibility of death kicks. Of course, the other question is - why go airborne at all? Are you doing this on purpose or are you getting knocked away? Zelda's airgame is best used sparingly for KO opportunities or from below (UAir being the most reliable KO move). If you're not being forced into the air, I wouldn't leave the ground until you are ready to KO.

Luthien

Smash Ace
Kytha's right, approach from the ground. Zelda's approach from the air only really has four/five options, being:

1)FAir (really predictable, and punishable)
2) NAir (hard to get close enough to hit with)
3) DAir (don't even try if they're on the ground; I wouldn't even try if they're in the air)
4) BAir (I guess you could try to jump behind them and use it, or if you think they'll roll behind you... but generally you'll get destroyed)
5) Airdodge (self explanitory; try to follow up with an USmash or a DSmash, maybe Naryu's Love if you need invincibilty frames)

*I'd include Farore's Wind, but that's not really a great idea either. Also, you can just FW off the ground too.

Basically, all of Zelda's air options are risky in some way with sweetspots and whatnot, so it's far safer to approach from the ground, where you have a pretty safe dash attack, a decent ranged FSmash, a decent grab, tilts, hypen-dashing, and other options. Approaching from the ground is better, period.

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
Once you're stuck in the air though it can be bad... I don't even remember how I got myself into this situation (though it was online so I'm sure some crazy lag forced me to teleport straight up when I instead meant to do some other B move), and of course I'm in the flashing animation so the G&W is having a field day floating me all over the place no matter how I try to DI away.....

AlbertoCruz

Smash Rookie
G&W makes me go airborne with his up smash. And teleporting just in front of him has been useful, since Zelda attacks where she reappears after farore's wind...

Also, for escaping of jugglars, in melee it was handy the air A move, but in this game the attack order has changed, since the first attack lands first, i believe... I can't longer escape with that move.

AlbertoCruz

Smash Rookie
Sure.

"Also, for escaping of jugglars, in melee it was handy the air A move, but in this game the attack order has changed, since the first attack lands first, i believe... I can't longer escape with that move."

If i'm being -bludgeoned-, and i do the air A attack, and another attack is coming, then that lands first. At least i had those experiences my first day.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Usually teleporting around is my signature move for any battle. Often, I use Up+B as an offensive weapon to close in on G&W and then keep on the assault. I suppose using Din's fire is risky since G&W has that Oil Panic move. You can continue to do it even after G&W has 3 stored in the bucket.
Up-air is one of Zelda's killing moves, just to let you know when you get G&W in the air.

Remember, G&W is very light, and the way to beat him is to fight aggressively, and try to kill him as quick as possible.

blink777

Smash Journeyman
For all that I agree with Krytha and Luthien, I find Game & Watch to be one of the best match-ups for Lightning Kicks. As he's so ridiculously light, they **** him at low percentages. Furthermore, because he's so splayed out in all of his aerial animations, he's a relatively large target for his weight: making him easier to catch in a sweetspot.

But as others have said, avoiding being juggled below is just going to take timing.. DI, FW, airdodge... He can't infinitely juggle you, so it's just a matter of working your head around it.

Luthien

Smash Ace
Sure.

"Also, for escaping of jugglars, in melee it was handy the air A move, but in this game the attack order has changed, since the first attack lands first, i believe... I can't longer escape with that move."

If i'm being -bludgeoned-, and i do the air A attack, and another attack is coming, then that lands first. At least i had those experiences my first day.
Oh, you mean that your NAir gets out-prioritized.

Actually, your explanation makes more sense to the normal person...

Top Bottom