• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo's Spotdodge

CQue tHe Sunn

Smash Journeyman
I spotdodge a lot and i noticed that mewtwos spotdodge sucks! youre invincible for a really long time, but meanwhile it takes so long that by the time you are able move again, the other character has been able to move long before already. so it screws me over a lot cuz i spotdodge a lot with all my other characters.

3 questions:
1. i do well with spotdodging, so should i still pick up mewtwo?
2. does it really hurt him that much? or is it just me?
3. any alternatives to spododging? perhaps teleporting in place? idk if its quicker or not

quak

Smash Champion
sure pick up mewtwo, why not?

yeah it kinda does, it's way too long, and way too easily punishable

sure there is, rolling. he has the best roll in the game. Quiker, and it get's you somewhere.

Or you could do what i do, and instead of spot dodging. You do like a really messed up wavedash, Jump, press L later than you would normally for a wd, along with any other direction, preferable downwards. If you did it right, and it's really not hard to do, you should dissaper for a split second cause of mewtwo's air dodge animation (or lack thereof)

Advantages: you can vary the time invicible to a certain degree, you can move slightly in horizontal direction, it's quicker, it looks fancy.

Disadvantage: application is tricky, since everyone is used to spot dodging. But once it comes natural to you, it's sick.

I think it's called "triangle jumping" but i could be wrong.....

wuthefwasthat

Smash Ace
yeah thats triangle jumping...

hmm mewtwo's triangle jump seems like it might be pretty useful maybe...

*goes back to watch a couple of taj's matches to see if he uses it*

Metà

Smash Master
Hmm...what info do I have on Mewtwo's spotdodge...
Mewtwo's Spot Dodge
Invulnerability: 2-21 (19 frames of invulnerability)
Total length: 37
Lag after invulnerability: 16
No IASA frames
-----------
Yes, Mewtwo does generate some lag, but it's good for spot-dodging attacks like Wizard's Foot and Shadowball, and other attacks that take a long time to pass. If you time it right, you can even spotdodge Link's B-up. This is still, however, one of the worst spot-dodges in the game, because you don't have any time after the dodge to punish the opponent for their missed attack. Lets compare it to some other spot-dodges. The best spotdodge in the game (along with many others, that are nearly identical)
Fox's Spot Dodge
Invulnerability: 2-15 (14 frames of invulnerability)
Total length: 22
Lag after invulnerability: 7
No IASA frames
------------------
And the worst
Mr Game and Watch's Spot Dodge:
Invulnerability: 2-12 (11 frames of invulnerability)
Total length: 32
Lag after invulnerability: 20
No IASA frames
-------------------
Mewtwo's spot dodge may have a lot of lag, but it least it has that massive number of invincibility frames. It's Game & Watch here who's really having the hard time (he can't sheild or roll worth **** either). Hope that helped. =)

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
lol meta =]

------
to topic:

generally, never spot dodge...

elaborating,

mewtwo doesnt need to spotdodge. mewtwo cant make use of the "spot dodge and downsmash" strategy anyways.
he has a shield grab with good range. his wavedash permits fleunt movement, controlled spacing, and excellent ground approaches. there is no need to use spot dodge as an offensive tactic.

his ground defence system lies in his wavedashes, spacings, and all his variety of movements, not spot dodging.

it would be pretty painful to use mewtwo, if its in your habit to make use of "spotdodge and counterattack" tactics.
but then again, its only a habit; habits generally contribute to your predictability. as a player entering advance gameplay, you should practice adaptibility and overcoming/breaking your habits.
knowing that, you should have no conflict in picking up mewtwo.

Metà

Smash Master
I don't really play Mewtwo, so I do end up spotdodging a little, but as I play him a little more, I quickly break that habit. I'm used to playing as Puff, Fox, Sheik, Doc, and people who actually can spotdodge. Also, it's nice that Mewtwo has a shield; I wish G&W had one, because his spotdodge is a joke. >.<

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Couldn't you either
a. JC Disable (if their in front of you)
b. JC Airdodge (no direction)
instead?

Metà

Smash Master
As an alternative to spotdodging? No, just no. Both of those options are too slow. The reason spotdodging works so well is that it comes out in 2 frames. lol

CQue tHe Sunn

Smash Journeyman
yeah i normally play with link, samus, ness, pikachu, and sheik and im starting a mewtwo. so the others' spotdodges work perfectly fine. i do it so much in fact i tend to spotdodge where others might dash dance to pass time. idk its kinda mindgameish not much though. i should prolly work on wavedashing though cuz i SUCK at it. i rarely use it cuz with me its very unreliable.

god G Dub's spotdodge is really horrible! I didnt know his was worst, i always imagined mewtwos to be the worst. but then again no one i play with plays G&W, unless its for a joke.

so what should i work on with mewtwo then if i wanna play him? wavedashes? DjC?

quak

Smash Champion
first get the universal basics that all charactors can do, like shffl'ing, wd, JC grabs, etc. Then just play around with mewtwo to get his game down, cause, well, mewtwo's all about "just playing around."

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
I agree with triangle jumping as a viable alternative. Once it feels natural it's better than a spot dodge, I even use it fairly often with other characters due to playing so much mewtwo. The ability to vary how long you're invincible and where you end up lets you space and time things really well, if you do it right it's very difficult to counter.

marthsword

Smash Ace
IT is very bad, but Mewtwo from my experience has other great defensive tactics.

-Best roll
-3rd best Wavedash
-Good CCC with D tilt
-Teleport
-Teleport out of shield

Out of a sheild Mewtwo has a ton of options like JC disable, cats claw counter so if you are in a shield there is definitely more options.

When you are out of a shield you have teleport!

quak

Smash Champion
PEOPLE NEED TO STOP CALLING IT CAT'S CLAW COUNTER!

And mewtwo's CCC is only good when your at very low percentages, because of your weight

KrF2

Smash Cadet
spotdodge is supposed to be used agianst Smashes,slow moving projectiles,slower-mid speed SHFFLs and most swords attacks.

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
basicly, mewtwo's spotdodge is way too long. (as stated)
it will avoid the attacks, but in all cases, you leave yourself open for punishment.

projectiles are almost never slow,
the slowest i can think of is samus missle, even then, with missle cancel, they come out simultaneously, and even dodging one, the consecutive one Will hit.

other slow projectiles like pikachu/pichu's jolt, though you may dodge the projectile, pikachu 's speed will likely enable him to run up to you and deliver a pointblank upsmash or other sever punishments.

shuffles are meant to allow fast executions of aerials. even ganon's dair has much less frames than mewtwo's spotdodge.

all sword attacks i can think of have less frames than mewtwo's spotdodge, meaning, they will be able to punish you while you are in your delay frames.

Aniodia

Smash Rookie
To be entirely honest, I use Mewtwo's spotdodge as a taunt. What better than the Pelvic Thrust of Doom™ to humiliate your opponent?

Heck, in 4-way friendlies, I can sometimes stand on one side of the screen and thrust wildly for a good 3-4 minutes before someone tries to attack me. Good times, good times...

Top Bottom