• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo Viability - Yes or No?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Okay, while there's all this insane hype, try not to be biased by the fact that Mewtwo will be in the game while responding.

Mewtwo, as revealed a little while ago, will be a playable character in Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U. However, as far as we know, you can only obtain him by linking both games. This means that Mewtwo will be a character that isn't necessarily given to everyone, making it harder to generally learn the MU and everything.

Personally, I doubt that he'll only be available through one method, and will be added to the eShop as DLC. However, even with that said, I'm not sure. I think most of the competitive community will be grabbing him, so I'm for him being viable.

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
He's going to be available on the eshop eventually for purchase. It makes no business sense for Nintendo to just limit him to this method. If the Hyrule Warriors costume DLC will become available, then so will this.

Trickerhere

Smash Ace
I am hoping he will viable!! I feel that he will this time around because he might have something similar to Lucario with Aura. Guess I am maining Mewtwo along with Dark Pit and ZSS!!!!

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Assuming he's somehow available without both versions, even if it costs money, I highly doubt he'll be banned. There's an argument to be made for a ban if it turns out that registering both versions is the only way to use him, but that may boil down to how many people end up having both versions and/or how easy it is to cheese the process by getting used copies.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Pay $10 to download Mewtwo. Then, leave your console on for 20 hours to unlock him. :awesome:

I hope he's viable and allowed as with any other character. It would discourage a lot of people from using him if they knew their efforts were going to be wasted in competitive settings.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
DLC characters are legal in all other fighting games. There is absolutely zero reason to disallow him. It's nonsense to even think like that, even if he's exclusively unlocked by linking both versions.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
DLC characters are legal in all other fighting games. There is absolutely zero reason to disallow him. It's nonsense to even think like that, even if he's exclusively unlocked by linking both versions.
I agree it would be nonsense, but banning him because it requires one to own a separate game makes slightly more sense than banning him because you need to fork over money for DLC.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Tournament organizers will need to have him available at all stations.

Other then that, there is no issue with him being played.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
I agree it would be nonsense, but banning him because it requires one to own a separate game makes slightly more sense than banning him because you need to fork over money for DLC.
All we know is that he's is available for FREE to those with both games. It would be silly for Nintendo not to offer him as paid DLC to those who choose one game over another. I suspect 4.99 to be the DLC price point.

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
Definite yes, it's more than likely that some professional players may want to pick up Mewtwo regardless if he's changed in play style.
EDIT:
He is DLC, thanks for reminding me.

It's not required for causal or players without the money to fork over the money for Mewtwo DLC, and I'm confident that Nintendo will make a patch to allow players to play with Mewtwo without buying DLC.

It's Kinda like any other DLC system within video gaming.
For example, characters in Street Fighter IV (To my knowledge) allow you to watch replays and fight against characters that are paid for by other people by a patch in the game. Rather than buying the pack just to update the game, you can freely fight without any restrictions. However, when the game completely changes due to a mechanic or file-size changes (Adding too much to the game that updates/patches cannot fix over time) that was added in the DLC pack, it is not compatible with default or past DLC packs and therefore must be updated.

Mewtwo isn't really that large of game file (Since he is a fighter), and the code for Smash 3DS and Wii U is prepared for storage of such character without any major game changes to be included.

Overall, I really think this is a non-issue for our community since most of us will pick up Mewtwo whatever the scenario.

Last edited:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
The only reason other games have made a ban like this is because they lacked console exclusivity and there was a factionalization issue. And version exclusives are always set up as either-or situations.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
Mewtwo is free however, and might be included on the disc/cart.
Mewtwo is 100% DLC. It isn't ready, and won't be ready until next year. It is not on the disc, or cart (data mining has been done of the cart that proves this much.)

Nintendo would be mad to make this extra DLC free for owners of both games and then hand it out to those who only bought one of the other. It will likely be a fairly cheap DLC, since Nintendo's pricing on DLC has been very reasonable so far.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Definite yes, it's more than likely that some professional players may want to pick up Mewtwo regardless if he's changed in play style.

If he was DLC.

Mewtwo is free however, and might be included on the disc/cart.

It is possible that one Wii U copy of Smash can easily unlock Mewtwo for different copies of Smash 3DS, and the same could might go the other way around.

Overall, I really think this is a non-issue for our community since most of us will pick up Mewtwo whatever the scenario.
But...he is DLC. He's available for download after the game's initial release. That's literally the definition of DLC.

Also we only know that a free download after registering both versions is one method of unlocking him. It's possible (even likely) that this is just a promotional thing and that one can also purchase him with real money instead of having to get the opposite version and system.

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
But...he is DLC. He's available for download after the game's initial release. That's literally the definition of DLC.

Also we only know that a free download after registering both versions is one method of unlocking him. It's possible (even likely) that this is just a promotional thing and that one can also purchase him with real money instead of having to get the opposite version and system.
I was confused before and I just read about Mewtwo being DLC. Sorry for that.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
DLC characters are legal in every other fighter. As soon as Mewtwo is fully released (that is, can be bought by anyone off the e-shop), he'll be tournament legal. If he's temporarily only available to some people, he'll be banned until his full release for the sake of fairness.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I feel like most people actually have to go really far out of their way to not get Mewtwo.

"Free if you have both versions" still comes off as absolutely unacceptable/impossible to some, I guess.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
I feel like most people actually have to go really far out of their way to not get Mewtwo.

"Free if you have both versions" still comes off as absolutely unacceptable/impossible to some, I guess.
People seem to keep getting hung up on that and assume that, for whatever insane reason, Nintendo will ONLY let you have Mewtwo if you have bought both versions.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
DLC characters are legal in every other fighter. As soon as Mewtwo is fully released (that is, can be bought by anyone off the e-shop), he'll be tournament legal. If he's temporarily only available to some people, he'll be banned until his full release for the sake of fairness.
This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom