• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo: The Most Under rated Low Tier?

Super4ng

Smash Journeyman
I want this thread to point out the strengths of Mewtwo, maybe do weaknesses later.

1. Mewtwo has a terrific recovery, and in my opinion one of the best recoveries in the game (maybe top 5? Samus, Fox, Pika, Jiggs And Mewtwo) Teleport is fast, and can be ledge cancelled (as shown by Taj) and also gives Mewtwo some slick movement options with platform wave lands and cross ups. Mewtwo's recovery allows him to go very deep for edge guards.

2. Mewtwo's projectile. It's fairly quick, ties in damage with Samus' charge shot , and it's wavy trajectory can make it tricky power shield. Can kill from mid to high percent depending on DI.

3. Disable: great for tech reads, doesn't clank and is disjointed. Side note, I was practicing some tech, and I accidently discovered something interesting about disable. It forces falling animation if you hit your opponent in the air, and almost works like a jab reset. Can anyone else confirm this?
Confusion: not as good as disable in my opinion, but it does seem to have Marth-like grab range.

4. DJC fair if done optimally is very fast, and is Mewtwo's best combo aerial. DJC nair is situational but useful, while nair in general is good for platform chasing and tech chases.

5. Mewtwo has excellent grabs/throws. Up throw combos at low percent and kills at very high percents. Back throw can kill or set up an edge guard. Down thrown sets up a tech chase.

6. Mewtwo has a good forward smash. It is quite powerful and has some good spacing; especially in comparison with other lower tiers (I'm looking at you Mario).

Anything else anyone would like to add? Please comment. And for now, I'm mainly interested in just Mewtwo's strengths. What do you think is Mewtwo's most rewarding playstyle? Edge guarding, rush down, spacing, punish? Thanks for your feedback! :D

Last edited:

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
Mewtwo is kinda ok at punishing and not awful at edgegaurding.

Those are the least bad parts about him.

I disagree with a lot of your positive points, like disable, which is a slow as heck and only usable as a trick.
I guess you don't want to focus on the bad.

Tbh, with mewtwo you have to camp the ledge with invincibility, and get a grasp of djc timings to improve your punish game. Work on edge guarding. That's it. Just be able to wavedash around because dashing sucks.

CrabZ

Smash Rookie
NNID
CrabDragon
Yes, disable causes tumble animation on airborne opponents :)

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Last edited by a moderator:

Super4ng

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo is kinda ok at punishing and not awful at edgegaurding.

Those are the least bad parts about him.

I disagree with a lot of your positive points, like disable, which is a slow as heck and only usable as a trick.
I guess you don't want to focus on the bad.

Tbh, with mewtwo you have to camp the ledge with invincibility, and get a grasp of djc timings to improve your punish game. Work on edge guarding. That's it. Just be able to wavedash around because dashing sucks.
I can see how you would think disable is bad, but people probably thought the same thing about rest on Jiggs at first. The fact that it is disjointed and doesn't clank and leads into any punish is amazing. If you read them doing a normal get up on a tech chase you have a free punish.
But you are right, if you spam disable, it will end badly for you. As a mix up option though, I think it is very powerful.

Super4ng

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo's down tilt is way good too. It has excellent spacing and has low knockback which makes it perfect for starting or extending combos. Probably second only to Marth's in spacing and utility. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Jab has weight based set knockback and leads into nothing because it puts Mewtwo at a frame disadvantage against the entire cast on hit. The only remote utility the move has is to pop missiles and even then I'm sure therea are better options. Easily Mewtwo's worst move, imo.
Mewtwo's jab stops an aerial approach as it hits high enough to stop pretty much all shffl shenanigans. I don't think any move other than maybe a really quick shine would be able to come out before they reach the ground post-hit, so if you add the time it takes for them to fall to the ground, I would consider this a very safe option.

I also don't think many people would be able to predict the jab in most situations, and are likely not able to react fast enough to punish it either, so it's a good option if you are concerned that dtilt wouldn't land. I don't use it a lot, but it's not *that* bad.

All in all, Mewtwo can actually do stuff. Other characters like Link and Roy... they can't really do a lot of stuff against higher tiers. I personally think Mewtwo *could* be borderline viable these days, as any matchup I currently struggle on with my M2 I have virtually the same struggle as my Marth.

Last edited:
Top Bottom