• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo Techs and Approach

ckrocker

Smash Cadet
So we got Mewtwo and 24 hours later we're finding some cool things to do. This character packs a punch, deals fairly good damage but lacks approach.

We all know that Smash 4 has some pretty good rolls. Almost too good in some cases. Anyways, this thread will discuss the best attacks for an approach with Mewtwo with each character. We know he has Shadow Ball but the lack of range on the Fair is hard to specify a nice and clean approach to characters. Keep in mind that this character is new and stuff is still being found and worked on. Let's begin:

Edit: As noted, user Kibzu~ on his YouTube channel helps with a video on Shadow Ball Glide approaches. This approach is very effective since you immediately glide away from any danger. Thanks to Captain Justice for pointing this out.

vs Mario

Fairly strange matchup considering Mario's speed but even when considered by how easily Mewtwo can KO Mario. The best approach I've found would be short hop Nair into DTilt for some good juggles and, depending on %, anle to land a Fair.

vs Link

Now this is tricky. We have a projectile-based character with huge power output and strong USmash. Approaching with Nair is punishable with Link's FTilt but dash attack is effective since Link's rolls are short. Perfect shielding into a grab is the optimal choice I've found following up into a DThrow with possible DTilt at low % and Nair at high %.

vs Ness

Ness strong aerials are brought to nothing against Mewtwo's Nair. Still, Ness UAir is a threat as well as its Fair. Still testing Mewtwo Nair with Ness Fair to verify frame data concerning any possible trades.

vs Lucina

Lucina can grab Mewtwo around 110% jab him and UpThrow into KO. This is avoidable by keeping distance from her with Shadow Ball. Counter is easily punishable with side B into Dtilt or Shadow Ball depending on %.

vs Samus

This is great since Samus and Mewtwo have almost the same speed and floatiness. Samus Charge Shor is easily reflected with side B and spammers are discouraged once you get the hang of Samus's projectile timing. Samus can hit Mewtwo's Nair with her Fair so avoiding being in the air as well as just working the ground is the best approach so far.

vs Mewtwo

Mewtwo on Mewtwo. They can Double Fair each other sacrificing the second jump. UTilt is very effective against its Nair and also DTilt can combo into Fair event DI'ng out. So far it works but tests are being done as we speak.

vs Diddy

Oh Diddy, you have suffered so many nerfs. Mewtwo can side B into Shadow Ball for ofensive Diddys. Defensive ones suffer by Mewtwo's Nair and Diddys command grab can be disabled with side B. Predicting Diddys rolls is key for side B into Dtilt and at low % a Fair is viable.

vs Villager

Villager's Gyroid Spammers days are over. Even though Villager can pocket his Gyroid Rocket back (and yes, get both out on the field) his approach game is weakened and Fair is not effective against Mewtwo's Nair. Mewtwo can side B Villager's tree into a nasty comeback. Best approach I found was side B any rockets, with ground to remove space in between until being fairly close to land a FTil or DTilt for some cool juggles. Mewtwo can KO Villager with Uthrow at around 98%.

To be continued...(excuse my grammar)

Last edited:

ckrocker

Smash Cadet
Done. Added, also pointing out that I think Mewtwo is great for Battlefield stage since the side B stumbles characters into platform for nice follow ups.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Just a heads up for the side-B into shadow ball. Diddy is fast enough to act out of Mewtwo's side-b, giving him an opportunity to nair or fair. Whether or not the shadow ball will hit is more or less up to how fast the Diddy will react.

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
I sometimes find it good to just throw out shadow ball, this forces my opponent to approach as well as sets up an opening. Also find a well spaced fair to do the trick.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Just a heads up for the side-B into shadow ball. Diddy is fast enough to act out of Mewtwo's side-b, giving him an opportunity to nair or fair. Whether or not the shadow ball will hit is more or less up to how fast the Diddy will react.
All characters are fast enough to act out, the question is whether they have an aerial that's fast enough and has enough range. Otherwise they can all jump or dodge. Side-B has no guaranteed combos on any character.

Last edited:

proxibomb

Smash Clown
All characters are fast enough to act out, the question is whether they have an aerial that's fast enough and has enough range. Otherwise they can all jump or dodge. Side-B has no guaranteed combos on any character.
Diddy's fair can easily hit Mewtwo with his range.

ckrocker

Smash Cadet
Shadow Ball startup is tricky but I agree that just using B is a great way to stop dashers and proper spacing.

Top Bottom