• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo recovering vs. Marth

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
So recently I've been picking up Mewtwo because he's so unbelievably pimp, but I've run into a bit of a snag. I played a $2 MM with Prince of Fire yesterday, and I basically couldn't figure out wtf I'm supposed to do on recovery vs. Marth. Here are the matches for reference:

Game 1
Game 2
Game 3

Basically, since Mewtwo is so fucking slow from the edge, I never want to be there because it always seems to result in me getting hit, but recovering high doesn't seem to help me all that much on the whole "getting hit" thing either. So, uh, what the hell am I supposed to do when I'm in the unfortunate situation of being off stage vs. Marth? (Other tips appreciated too, but I really feel like I lost this MM due to complete inability to recover effectively)

dguy6789

Smash Lord
Marth's ******** on the ledge. Ledge stall teleport until you see an opening. Two best things you can do in my experience are ledge hop nair into the Marth or teleport onto stage using the low landing lag method. Neither is 100% safe, but if you can bait the Marth into doing something while you're ledge stalling it should allow you to get back onto the stage.

quak

Smash Champion
teleport onto stage

air dodge onto stage

sweetspot ledge and hit a

be unpredictable about it

quak

Smash Champion
Marth's ******** on the ledge. Ledge stall teleport until you see an opening. Two best things you can do in my experience are ledge hop nair into the Marth
in most cases, this will easily get you f-smashed

a smart marth will have spacing away from the ledge, just enough to tipper past it, giving him plenty of time to react

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, ledgehop nair will get outranged, plus it's too easy to see coming just because it takes so ****ing long.

When you tele back, don't tele upwards, obviously. I just saw you doing it at 2:41 in the first match, maybe some other instances, too. A teleport ending near the ground -> fast fall -> shield -> roll/wavedash/stuff should be safe enough. If you're doing that a lot, throw in an airdodge to keep him guessing.

Yeah, basically what Quak said.

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
I don't mean to sound condescending or whatever, but something that will help is to not go off the cliff so much. There were various moments where you got Marth off the edge at 30 percent or whatever and you'd go after him with a Bair, which does basically nothing at low percents like that, and so Marth gets back on the stage with you at a big disadvantage. The Bair begins being effective at around 100% or so, so don't rely on it much, if at all, until then. If he's off the stage at low percentages, it's YOUR turn to be in control of the edge.

TheLake

Smash Master
Mogwai mix it up with aerial evade! Your mewtwo REALLY is pretty sick!

You can doooo iiiit!

Top Bottom