• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo Moveset Discussion Thread **This Week: Forward Smash**

9Kplus1

Smash Master

Yep, 60 HP, a high retreat cost and no resistances.
It just shows how much life hates Mewtwo :/.

Anyway, after lurking around the Mewtwo forums for a while, getting approval of this thread and working on my own Mewtwo, I thought that it would be a good idea to start of discussion of Mewtwo's moveset for a few reasons:

• To promote some discussion about Mewtwo and how to properly use him
  • To get newbies into Mewtwo
  • To help good players learn the uses of attacks that they wouldn't normally use (i.e Dash Attack, Dair, Confusion)
  • Mewtwo looks so badass, more badass than Lucario's U-throw yet, he doesn't live up to that badassery we all know him for all of the time.

What this thread is:

This thread is for the discussion of Mewtwo's moves in Melee; how they're used, when they should be used, the best method to use them, follow ups, the list goes on. Once a week of dicussing the move at hand passes, the key points of that move will be edited into this post and then, we'll move on to the next move that needs discussing.

Any moves that are to be discussed again will fall back into the cycle of moves depending on what needs to be changed, taken off or added. An example of this would be if someone found some type of new AT with any of Mewtwo's moves and that move needed to be rediscussed on how to use it properly or to show its effectivness if it had none or close to none at the time.

What this thread isn't:

1. A match up thread- For the love of god, don't bring in any type of conversation like, "omg, Marth outranges this move and will kill you with a tipper" or, "Fox will just USmash you out of this". If you're going to mention a character besides Mewtwo, make sure it applies to that type of character in general (i.e Floaty chars, fast fallers, etc.).

2. Smogon.com- Yeah, I said it. Please don't compare Mewtwo to what he does in the game of Pokemon.

3. A tier list discussion- Mewtwo's tier will stay as it as as far as I know. Don't complain about, it just means that tier whores won't know how beat us :/.

To sum all of these up, stay on topic... pleeeaaase?

9Kplus1

Smash Master
This week's discussion is (in my opinion) one of Mewtwo's most underrated moves, Forward Smash.

My Opinion

If you want my opinion, I use this move way too ofter for spacing reasons. The attack isn't as slow as one may think and the sweetspot can KO pretty easily or just get my opponent off of the stage.
------
It also make a decent edgeguard against chars who aren't recoverying from under the stage.
------

Discuss

Vsin

Smash Apprentice
Personally? I find this move really stubby. Hardly ever use it unless I have a blatant opportunity to use it. I generally would use a Nair/Uair/Tilt in any case that someone else would use the Fair.

However, just about every other M2 out there disagrees with me >_>

On the plus side, it comes out really fast. I've DIed just barely out of Uthrows, only to pull off a Fair somehow and send the guy flying. And it's strong. And it's probably great for instant DJC (I can't do it myself >_>).

P.S.

Forum lurkers unite!

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Go go Forum Lurkers!

I don't disagree with you. It has terrible range, and it's priority is ****ty compared to most character's aerials. I typically use this move as a counter, combo linker/finisher, sometimes out of shield following certain character's down smashes like Sheik/Peach/Falco.

I do enjoy using the iDJC version to scoop missed techs, link low percent down tilts, and sometimes shield pressure into grab if they're not expecting it. It is very difficult to just use this move to run up on somebody though. If someone can do it consistently, without trading or anything, I'd like to see it. Otherwise, like most of M2's aerials, its uses are very situational. The move is so sexy though, you just gotta yell out SHADOW CLAW when you land it.

The Immortal Sir NZ

Smash Apprentice
The move is so sexy though, you just gotta yell out SHADOW CLAW when you land it.
This is exactly what I do.

My uses for this move are very limited, I really only use it after a surprise D-tilt or just by accident b/c I usually get Shieldgrabbed or F-smashed if I try to use it other times and miss.

The Phenom

Smash Lord
What I do after shadow claw is dtilt full jump with immediate Nair and I DI the Nair for a second or two until I see the direction my opponent is drifting then I Bair if he drifts behind me to a Dtilt Bthrow; Fair again if they DI in front of me after the Nair. I did this once on my friend at a tourney and it looked so BEAUTIFUL.

I haven't seen this Combo done by someone else yet. Quiet honestly I thought it was a pretty solid Combo. Maybe some M2 player knows about it's potential and thinks it impractical? I don't know. Please give me your input.

I have that M2 Pokemon card =) Mewtwo is such a Badass son of ***** and my second favorite character in Melee! Hell! I guess I am going to put a segment of Mewtwo in my Game and Watch Combo video
----------
CLASS OF 2009!!!

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
I'd say it is impractical. It is very much DI dependent in my opinion. But if you're able to provide consistent video evidence of this, then it would help Mewtwo greatly, since N-air is one of M2's most reliable moves for damage building.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
I have that M2 Pokemon card =) Mewtwo is such a Badass son of ***** and my second favorite character in Melee! Hell! I guess I am going to put a segment of Mewtwo in my Game and Watch Combo video
do it son! that'll be interesting... maybe as an intermission?

As for F-air, let's not forget about U-Throw to F-Air shall we?

Sure it's DI dependant, but when you're able to do it it's sexy as all get out...:bee:

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Eh... sorry for my lack of input in this thread but with finals close as hell, there's never any time to try anything out or even log onto here ._. ... but, I managed to do both today.

I've been trying out a few things with Fair and sadly, I only found one that works; that would happen to be Confusion to SH Fair at higher %'s or on slower fallers. I've found it good to punish those who don't tech roll away after Confusion, giving Mewtwo some space and that's about it :/.

Anyway, it's time to change the topic of discussion (yippie...). If anyone wants a move to be discussed, just post it here; otherwise, I'll just change it to what I wanted to change it to.

kirbycombodude

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0602-6785-4385
I don't understand why Mewtwo is considered a CLONE of Lucario or vice versa
The ONLY, I repat ONLY, move Lucario and Mewtwo share is their Neutral B
That's why Mewtwo could have been in Brawl.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
I don't understand why Mewtwo is considered a CLONE of Lucario or vice versa
The ONLY, I repat ONLY, move Lucario and Mewtwo share is their Neutral B
That's why Mewtwo could have been in Brawl.
Welcome to Smashboards! =D

This has been discussed. but it's true.

How good a M2 are you??

OH. and

http://www.smashboards.com/group.php?groupid=405

http://www.smashboards.com/group.php?groupid=536

Check them out!

Anyone here ever FAir-ed someone under the lip of FD and watched them bounce to their death? it's very :laugh::laugh::laugh:

OrangeMewtwo1337

Smash Cadet
At low precentages I sometimes use it to build up some precentage with my neutral air. at mid precentages I sometimes use it when juggling.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
AH the F-Smash. Mewtwo's most damaging attack. A sweet 27% damage if fully charged... on par with D.K.'s and C. Falcon's!

Meh... it's good for an out of the blue edgeguard, even better if you can charge it for that purpose.

Other than that, it's punishable. VERY much so...

The Immortal Sir NZ

Smash Apprentice
AH the F-Smash. Mewtwo's most damaging attack. A sweet 27% damage if fully charged... on par with D.K.'s and C. Falcon's!
Really? That's cool; too bad it doesn't have the same knockback. :(

Meh... it's good for an out of the blue edgeguard, even better if you can charge it for that purpose.
Yeah, kills those non-sweetspotted recoveries at stage level.

Other than that, it's punishable. TOO much so...
Fix'd

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
Really? That's cool; too bad it doesn't have the same knockback. :(
Sweetspotted it's just slighly weaker than C. Falcons. They kill at similar levels of damage. D.K.'s is much stronger than either though...

Yeah, kills those non-sweetspotted recoveries at stage level.
Hence the out of the blue nature of such kills.

I don't think either of us has that right actually... >.>

Really, the move's uses would be more pronunced if it didn't have the amount of lag that it does...

Top Bottom