• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo ledge coverage options?

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I realized recently that I am not good at covering the ledge. By default I tend to try and stand center stage and charge SB, possibly out of a subconscious fear of having the tables turned on me and having Mewtwo's light weight exploited. So I'm asking, what do you do when your opponent is hanging at the ledge? What sorts of actions are more reliable, and what are some niches that can work once in a while?

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Dtilt can hit an opponent on the ledge, and true combos into Fair at high percents. (100-150%ish) Covers Wait and allows for another quick option if they get-up immediately.

SB covers Roll, Get-Up, Jump and attack.

Dtilt-Utilt might be a good bait option, or Dtilt-Dtilt.

Stand a foxtrot's distance from the ledge, and then LC it for the trump. If you notice your opponent forsees it and buffers an option, (roll) then don't LC next time. Instead, Teleport straight down. This causes Mewtwo to remain in place and allows you to easily punish a roll with a smash or Disable.

Disable seems pretty good. It might cover both regular get-up and jump, but it might not.

Nair is pretty good.

Confusion possibly?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
He's not looking for guesses.

Nair near the ledge covers a lot of options and combos, sets up kill confirms, etc. Mew^2 uses this a lot.

Last edited:

Bigfoothunter

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mastawoo3
Not quite sure how reliable it is depending on each character, but I've had success with disable covering getup attack. If you shield it and if they're attack is laggy enough (DK, Robin, etc), it's worth a try since a disable at the ledge is delicious.

And I also throw in run-off bair if they wait/re-grab, (I know my friend has a massive habit of drop down aerials) so if they're at a good percent is viable to go for the stage spike.

Last edited:

SparkSubmarine

Smash Rookie
Wait for there invincibility to wear out. If they just wait carry them off with Nair and try to catch then with a bair or fair. As previously mentioned, dtilt can work wonders. Utilt and UAir can catch a jump and/or standard get up. If you predict a roll into stage, stand back and do a jump cancel up smash. Hope this helps!

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
I find that Mewtwo is better to put pressure on them off the edge rather than waiting for them to come back to you, since our recovery is usually better than theirs. Run-off>NAir is nice to drag them down when they recover low

Recently I have been trying to get the timing of DSmash worked out for catching them before they snap to the ledge, but I have limited success with that.

I practice my Teleport>edgecancel>ledgetrump>BAir in training, but I cant get them reliably enough to seriously try them in FG.

I flirted with using multijab as a gimping tool, but it feels too cheesy.

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
Down smash can cover some stuff and isn't very risky even if you whiff since the move has basically no endlag.
If you're bad at edge cancel teleports, you can still trump by running offstage and immediately teleporting to the ledge.

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
Down smash can cover some stuff and isn't very risky even if you whiff since the move has basically no endlag.
If you're bad at edge cancel teleports, you can still trump by running offstage and immediately teleporting to the ledge.
Yeah, that's the way I get my trumps at present, but it seems so... see-it-coming-able. The sexy thing about teleport trumping is the suddenness of it. I want my opponent to experience WWN ("What? WHAT?! NOOOO!") which makes them fully understand that they are dealing with a legendary purveyor of beatdown.

Last edited:

DERPFISHsaysNO

Smash Cadet
I personally am a fan of run-off bair vs most opponents. If I want to stay onstage I usually use dtilt or utilt or throw a SB if I have one at high/full charge.

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
If they hang on the ledge until invincibility runs out, you can hit them with a full charged shadow ball if you are spaced correctly. Because it wobbles up and down as it moves, it can potentially miss. If you are spaced exactly 1 roll or 2 rolls away from the ledge, you will hit them. I think they don't have a lot of options to avoid it other than maybe dropping down and then jumping either on stage or to the ledge again.

Top Bottom