• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo Infinite: What it is and how to deal with it (Finished)

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
First off, it works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG5U1RKGPww
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSFuHOCSViI

One of these belongs to a Japanese player, the other is mine. I discovered this combo on the 6th, but the Mewtwo boards and I decided to keep it on the down low to try and avoid patching. I will be updating this thread through ought the day with new stuff.

How to do it:

First, you need to know how to Footstool-Disable consistently, and I mean really consistently. To get RAR Nair-Footstool requires precision and practice.

Second, Mewtwo has a lot of cooldown on Disable, so you have to EXACTLY copy the videos movements, or else it will end early and the disable won't stun them.

Third, it only deals 4%, so you have to be able to repeat it consistently.

Also, Dtilt-Footstool is extremely DI dependent. You have to appropriately react or else you will miss. In other words, not viable.

Notes:
This combo is difficult. Let me make a comparison. I can consistently do Shieks PP Ftilt string, and I find this one much harder to do consistently. I wouldn't rate the base combo as that hard, but doing it over and over in order to rack up 20% is very difficult. Not an easy combo to pull off.​
What we can do with it:

First, positioning. With it, we can put you into the perfect spot for a kill combo.
Mewtwo can use this to get close to the edge, and then Base Dtilt-DJ Uair-Fair the opponent. This will kill as early as 40% and is extremely easy to pull off. Another option is just an Fsmash or somthing like it.
Second, rack up damage for the kill.
Even though it deals very little percent-wise, it is still an infinite. Once mastered, one could theoretically rack up 50% with it. Not very practical, but it is still guaranteed.
Third, troll.
Why do people hate wobbling? Because you can't do anything. Infinites completely destroy momentum and any sort of mental composure.​
What we are doing about it:
@KillerJawz is currently trying to learn how to beat it. Here are some methods we will be testing:

1st: DI'ing into Mewtwo allows for the possibility of being too far away for the footstool to connect.

2nd: SDI,
so ive been testing the mewtwo infinite in depth. it's extremely easy to pull off, however, SDI from what i tested with my friend completely demolishes the combo.

against ryu i can 0-100% just with the infinite without dropping a single rep, it's that easy. when i set my friend to control and start SDIing the nairs, i couldn't get more than two reps without him dropping out of the nair, even with several different timings.
3rd: Frame Data Method:
The easiest way to escape N-Air, by reading how the move works in the code, would be to SDI into and below Mewtwo (towards the heel of his foot) and then right as Mewtwo fast falls immediately DI away and upwards. I don't know if this is actually do-able, but if it's escapable that will probably be the most probable way.

To be 100% honest I hope this gets patched out. I don't like having combos like this on any char. But N-Air is just so essential to Mewtwo's current metagame which has allowed Mewtwo to slither his way into the Bottom of High Tier.

I really hope the nerf they do is similar to Corrin's Aerial Neutral-B/ZSS Stun Gun/Any paralyzer: Mewtwo cannot land Disable twice in a very short amount of time. This wouldn't take anything of our current options but the "infinite" combo (which might not even be truly infinite).
Conclusion:
Yep, it's an Infinite. Yep, it's going to get patched. But, in the meantime, this is how to get out. Minor SDI can destroy the already difficult combo. And if SDI is a bit too much for you, DI works as well.​

Last edited:

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
I thought of something like this before. I figured disable's stun time would get too stale though.
mewtwo is probably gonna get a nerf :/

Quantumpen

Smash Apprentice
Thanks to RAR nair being so easy to control, this really isn't as difficult as I thought. Needs to be patched out. I hope they make just repeated disables within a certain time window have lower and lower duration/not work or something.

Sad to see this -_-.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

In your nair guide didnt you say you could change your launch direction with initial di?
slightly confused, but you can make the opponent go out in a certain way depending on your movment and drift. their DI barely affects it. I have a feeling that DI'ing into Mewtwo might affect the combo.
Thanks to RAR nair being so easy to control, this really isn't as difficult as I thought. Needs to be patched out. I hope they make just repeated disables within a certain time window have lower and lower duration/not work or something.

Sad to see this -_-.
RAR Nair isn't high level, but the combo is still higher level, about PP level to do it consistently. might get patched, but the base combo won't get touched. They will just increase the cooldown of disable.

Quantumpen

Smash Apprentice
Hope you're right about that man. RAR Nair -> Footstool disable as a kill confirm is great, and I really don't want them to mess with nair which has become great in neutral and a sick combo tool. Hopefully we just get more lag on a whiffed disable or severe diminishing returns on it or something like that. No one spams disable anyway so it won't have an impact.

Anyway I worry it's practical. The hardest part is setting up the first disable and getting the timing on the fastfall right, but even after just a day of practice I was able to pretty consistently get 2 - 3 reps consistently. I bet aba could do this in a match -_-

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
The easiest way to escape N-Air, by reading how the move works in the code, would be to SDI into and below Mewtwo (towards the heel of his foot) and then right as Mewtwo fast falls immediately DI away and upwards. I don't know if this is actually do-able, but if it's escapable that will probably be the most probable way.

To be 100% honest I hope this gets patched out. I don't like having combos like this on any char. But N-Air is just so essential to Mewtwo's current metagame which has allowed Mewtwo to slither his way into the Bottom of High Tier.

I really hope the nerf they do is similar to Corrin's Aerial Neutral-B/ZSS Stun Gun/Any paralyzer: Mewtwo cannot land Disable twice in a very short amount of time. This wouldn't take anything of our current options but the "infinite" combo (which might not even be truly infinite).

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

I finished it. Thanks to everyone who helped! lets pray that it survives Evo. heh, 1999 posts.

Last edited:

Conradical

Smash Cadet
NNID
alphamenter
Will this work on di away?
It works with any DI, but you have to read it/ react to it. I had an explanation in another post: "You start with a Dtilt, then you Fair, and footstool. The opponent can DI this, but if your reaction speed is fast, you should be able to follow up with a Dair. This will pop up the opponent perfectly so that you can follow up with an Up-smash. This is also DI-able, but i was able to react and jump cancel Up-smash most of the time. This will do 48%. Another option instead of Up-smashing is to follow up with a Fair, then DJ, and then Fair again. Without too much testing i can say that the second Fair is a 50-50, but is guaranteed if you read their option."

Last edited:

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
It works with any DI
No. Not only can the footstool be di'd away from at 0, you can mash out of it, because it isnt true at 0. In fact on a weight 80 character with no stale move multiplier after the 5 percent dtilt its -2 on hit (with the first hitbox).

On top of that your down air isnt fast enough to link, as they can do a regular getup option in time. I dont know why you would do one instead of another fair anyway.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
It works with any DI, but you have to read it/ react to it. I had an explanation in another post: "You start with a Dtilt, then you Fair, and footstool. The opponent can DI this, but if your reaction speed is fast, you should be able to follow up with a Dair. This will pop up the opponent perfectly so that you can follow up with an Up-smash. This is also DI-able, but i was able to react and jump cancel Up-smash most of the time. This will do 48%. Another option instead of Up-smashing is to follow up with a Fair, then DJ, and then Fair again. Without too much testing i can say that the second Fair is a 50-50, but is guaranteed if you read their option."
This can definitely be DIed away for sure. F-Air to Footstool isn't true even at 0%, I tested this like 2-3 months ago.

Last edited:

Conradical

Smash Cadet
NNID
alphamenter
No. Not only can the footstool be di'd away from at 0, you can mash out of it, because it isnt true at 0. In fact on a weight 80 character with no stale move multiplier after the 5 percent dtilt its -2 on hit (with the first hitbox).

On top of that your down air isnt fast enough to link, as they can do a regular getup option in time. I dont know why you would do one instead of another fair anyway.
Really? O__o cause I was also able to pull this off on one of my friends.

Sonicninja115

Why hope this gets changed? If you can get out with minor SDI or DI, then it's not broken.
It is still an infinite, and not really minor DI. You have to hope the person messes up their spacing a bit to get the proper space. Otherwise, the SDI is a valid option, you just need to know how to SDI.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
It is still an infinite, and not really minor DI. You have to hope the person messes up their spacing a bit to get the proper space. Otherwise, the SDI is a valid option, you just need to know how to SDI.
Idk. If the infinite is interactive, then I can't see any need for it to be changed.

As long as it's possible for the opposing player to escape by his/herself, I think it's a none issue.

Sonicninja115

Idk. If the infinite is interactive, then I can't see any need for it to be changed.

As long as it's possible for the opposing player to escape by his/herself, I think it's a none issue.
It is sorta like Ryu's Utilts. They are SUPER easy to SDI, but people still complain. I haven't seen much complaint as of yet, but if Aba decides to use it there might be.

Top Bottom