• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo complaint thread

Fun aside, do you think Mewtwo is a viable character?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

godogod

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I made a thread suggesting that we make a list of buffs that we can add on a single post(the OP post). This will make it easier for everyone to keep track of, and hopefully devs can see this and take note.

Right now the way it is, its too convulated keep track of everyone's ideas in 11 pages on this thread.

D

Deleted member

I play as Mewtwo a lot (obviously), and I can still win with him pretty often, about as much as my other mains. What I really like about him: Shadow Ball is great not only charged but uncharged, he has great recovery options that allow you to evade people trying to spike you down to the abyss, love his dash attack, smash attacks, and air attacks.
What I wish were changed, however: could stand to be a little heavier of course, better invincibility when rolling, ditch the floatiness after Teleport, and bring back the damaging charging Shadow Ball.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
I think Mewtwo should be played in a more campy fashion with careful planning on when to go in on the offensive. Every time I go in too offensive with Mewtwo, it seems like I get wrecked. However, if I play it more safe similar to Rosalina, I usually end up doing a lot better. I'm still figuring out exactly how to play him because he's a pretty hard character to learn in all honesty.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think Mewtwo should be played in a more campy fashion with careful planning on when to go in on the offensive. Every time I go in too offensive with Mewtwo, it seems like I get wrecked. However, if I play it more safe similar to Rosalina, I usually end up doing a lot better. I'm still figuring out exactly how to play him because he's a pretty hard character to learn in all honesty.
I think it depends on the matchup. I would like if Mewtwo was more versatile so he could handle both aggresive and campy players alike with a moveset that thrives on adaptation.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
You may complain about teleport more. I can Meta Knight jab him before he grabs the ledge. Even from below the ledge.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You may complain about teleport more. I can Meta Knight jab him before he grabs the ledge. Even from below the ledge.
This is why Mewtwo always needs to hit for the ledge, even though it's extremely predictable and slows down his game...

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I think MK is just horrible for M2 I think. I can batflap until he tosses his Shadow Ball. And if he uses confusion during MK's jab startup M2 gets hit by it. And the confusion doesn't even flip MK at that point.

Crudedude

Smash Cadet
I can't help but feel like in melee he was better XD. Yeah he can kill WAY easier with his smash attack but I REALLY miss his grabs in melee WAY STRONGER/BETTER. Still he's not terrible but they could've should've shown more love. Being a big light weight character isn't bad if you have the mobility. As of right now everything is feels too wonky.

D

Deleted member

Mewtwo is probably just going to be one of those characters that shines better in team battles. Which is fine, because I prefer teams anyway.

RayNoire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RayNoire
Mewtwo is probably just going to be one of those characters that shines better in team battles. Which is fine, because I prefer teams anyway.
Unfortunately Mewtwo is not great in doubles either. Shadow Ball is too risky if there's even a slight chance it'll hit your partner, and most of Mewtwo's kill options (Disable, Uthrow, Usmash) are slow enough to interrupt from anywhere on the stage. You could partner with Villager or G&W and have some pretty great synergy--but that's also true for like half the characters in the game.

With Team Attack off, on the other hand...

Machii

Smash Apprentice
Teleport is best used defensively. Even when used towards the ground the slight delay prevents any hard follow up, but it is great to reposition yourself as it activates quickly. Also, teleport allows Mewtwo to reach the floor quicker than his fall would place him, making it great for getting an edge when resetting the neutral game.
As for the rest of his kit; if you can't see how strong Mewtwo is I believe you are simply arrogant (and bad). Mewtwo can combo a confusion off of a fair, and then follow up from there. He can set up a smash attack from a jab...
He doesn't have a technical exploit like Diddy Kong, but he is far from bad.

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
Teleport is best used defensively. Even when used towards the ground the slight delay prevents any hard follow up, but it is great to reposition yourself as it activates quickly. Also, teleport allows Mewtwo to reach the floor quicker than his fall would place him, making it great for getting an edge when resetting the neutral game.
As for the rest of his kit; if you can't see how strong Mewtwo is I believe you are simply arrogant (and bad). Mewtwo can combo a confusion off of a fair, and then follow up from there. He can set up a smash attack from a jab...
He doesn't have a technical exploit like Diddy Kong, but he is far from bad.
Go win a major, then your words will carry weight.

Unfortunately Mewtwo is not great in doubles either. Shadow Ball is too risky if there's even a slight chance it'll hit your partner, and most of Mewtwo's kill options (Disable, Uthrow, Usmash) are slow enough to interrupt from anywhere on the stage. You could partner with Villager or G&W and have some pretty great synergy--but that's also true for like half the characters in the game.

With Team Attack off, on the other hand...
I do not agree with you. I play a LOT of doubles with Mewtwo, and he is very capable. He has an extremely evasive and defensive playstyle that works well in that setting. I actually healed my partner for 226% in a match today.

Villager and G&W are good partners, but Lucas and Ness are even better, IMO. Mewtwo plays a passive style that focuses on nothing but Shadow Ball. Extremely effective.

Last edited:

RayNoire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RayNoire
I do not agree with you. I play a LOT of doubles with Mewtwo, and he is very capable. He has an extremely evasive and defensive playstyle that works well in that setting. I actually healed my partner for 226% in a match today.

Villager and G&W are good partners, but Lucas and Ness are even better, IMO. Mewtwo plays a passive style that focuses on nothing but Shadow Ball. Extremely effective.
Passiveness doesn't really work in doubles. If someone's being passive, their teammate is probably getting a 2v1.

Not to mention, Ness/Villager/G&W being the most popular doubles characters doesn't make the best environment for using Shadow Ball offensively.

Evasion and passiveness also require space, which you have less of in doubles.

I play a lot of doubles myself (my brother and I are the top ranked doubles team in WI), and although it's unfair to compare Mewtwo to Link (who is a great doubles partner), I definitely feel much more hindered in teams now that I've switched mains; I also feel more hindered than in singles with Mewtwo.

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
Passiveness doesn't really work in doubles. If someone's being passive, their teammate is probably getting a 2v1.

Not to mention, Ness/Villager/G&W being the most popular doubles characters doesn't make the best environment for using Shadow Ball offensively.

Evasion and passiveness also require space, which you have less of in doubles.

I play a lot of doubles myself (my brother and I are the top ranked doubles team in WI), and although it's unfair to compare Mewtwo to Link (who is a great doubles partner), I definitely feel much more hindered in teams now that I've switched mains; I also feel more hindered than in singles with Mewtwo.
I partner with the #1 Ness on Anther's Ladder, and we do extremely well. It takes a very different mindset. At first, I told Shamrock that it couldn't work. Too much pressure and chaos, etc. Shamrock taught me a different style of play, though, and it works.

At locals, I have finished many doubles matches with all 3 stocks because of the playstyle. It doesn't put significantly extra pressure on your partner when done right, because you are maintaining pressure with Shadow Ball from afar.

Think of it this way:
Every Mewtwo player agrees that Mewtwo is a strong defensive character. The problem comes when the opponent is defensive, and Mewtwo has to go on the offense. He just isn't good in that scenario.

In doubles, the opposing team either has to be extremely aggressive against Mewtwo, which Mewtwo can counter, or they go after his partner out of frustration. These are both wins for him.

I am not saying he is the best doubles character ever, but it is strong. I will try to upload some matches at some point to illustrate the concept.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Mewtwo sucks in smash4? I called it! I freakin' called it!

http://smashboards.com/threads/fact...eral-discussion.324191/page-301#post-17560298

I won't bother proposing buffs here or in the other thread. To quote another psychic, Silver the Hedgehog, "IT'S NO USE!!"
That's seriously the reason you came by here? No actual contributions? Some people are fans of the character, a lot of people are actually, and everyone on these boards is. We all agree that he should be a good character, that's why a bunch of people are here discussing potential buffs for him. That post makes you sound like a complete petulant child that wants other people to be miserable or wrong so that you can say "I told you so".

If you're not going to add any actual contributions, go somewhere else.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Please don't bump threads that have been inactive for more than a month, especially for the purpose of trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom