• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mew two guide DX (part 1/2)

tofusmash

Smash Rookie
Mewtwo is a wise choice as your main. There are many advantages of playing as mewtwo, for example his phenomenal varieties of recovery, and his oh-so useful shadow ball. Let's begin, shall we?
I will first start off with what you should do at the begging of the battle. It goes without saying that it is almost mandatory to start the battle off by charging a shadow and saving it for later, it can even come in handy for recovery. If you forget or do not start the battle by charging a shadow ball, you will have the lower hand in the battle, but there are a few other things you can do to begin the fight. Using confusion gives you time to prepare your attacks, remember, using disable will not do much in the beginning of the brawl, considering that disable becomes more effective when your opponent is on a higher percent. Next, I will go over some recovery methods.
Mewtwo has loads of recovery options. The first and foremost example is his teleportation. It has a wide range, and can easily fool foes, because your opponent cannot perfectly predict where you will teleport to, unless you constantly teleport to the same area. A recovery move that not many people use it the "Confusion and teleport method" Keep in mind that if you are suffering at the very bottom at the course (an example is below final destination) teleporting may not get you as far as you need to be in order to get back onto the stage. I recommend using confusion, which may substitute as a third jump, this can help you recover, along with confusion substituting as a third hop, you can use teleport to get back onto the stage. The third and final recovery option with mewtwo requires a fully charged shadow ball. If you are flailing off the side of the stage, and cannot double jump or short hop, use the shadow ball WITH MEWTWO'S BACK FACING THE COURSE so gravity can push him back onto the middle of the stage, where you would mostly want to be considering mewtwo's poor defense. Now to go on to defense tactics.
Mewtwo is considered a balloon-weight character, so he is practically defenseless, let me begin on some ways you can avoid being KO'd. Mewtwo dies at a range between 50%-999%, so watch out. Instead of roll-dodging with mewtwo, I recommend dodging via teleport, this will leave foes confused, and will give you more time to prepare. Finally, another defensive method is dashing across the stage, this may not sound like a good method, but trust me, it works.
Mewtwo is a killing-machine, here are some offensive techniques. First of all, mewtwo's up-throw is extremely powerful, and can easily get opponents up in the air to up-air and knock them out of the park rather quickly. Another method is the classic confusion and shadow ball, this is better used if a foe is at a lower percent, but when a foe is at a high percent (80%-999%) it is a better choice to use disable, because it will stun the opponent for awhile, making it easy to kill with the shadow ball. Third is his up smash. This can KO enemies at a very low percent, but leaves mewtwo vulnerable if the opponent can easily avoid this attack, so use it wisely. Finally, mewtwo has the ability to deflect projectiles with his confusion,
which increases the damage of the projectile by about 1.5%. Last but not least, some classic tecqs will come in part 2, hop you found this part useful!

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
This is pretty accurate, I think. Great job! The only thing that I disagree with is when you said that Disable should only be used at high percentages. If you can manage land it at low percentages, then you're basically guaranteed a throw or tilt, which can be very useful. That said, I realize that doing so is very situational, and there may be better options at low percentages than what I described.

Also, I would recommend Shielding after using Confusion instead of attacking, since doing so guarantees that Mewtwo won't be put at a disadvantage. Plus, if the opponent attacks Mewtwo after he Shields, then Mewtwo is basically guaranteed a hit unless the adversary has unusually low amounts of end-lag on their aerials, like Sheik. Either way, Shielding after using Confusion will always either reset the game to neutral or give Mewtwo the upper hand. You can't go wrong!

Other than that, though, I think you did a fantastic job with this guide! I look forward to Part 2!

MewSquared

Smash Rookie
I main Mewtwo in Smash 4, and have been called one of the top Mewtwo mains in DFW, and I definitely agree with some of the options you mentioned. I personally find Mewtwo to be a great character despite having a few glaring flaws. A B reversed shadow ball for recovery can be a good option, even though most of the time a confusion followed by a teleport should get you to the stage. Also if you use confusion in the air, and use the confusion's jump momentum to keep moving towards the enemy, you can link a forward air shadow claw. I haven't fully digged into it but it usually works, but I will play around some more with character weights and percentages. His tilts are great tools for spacing, and a pivot forward tilt or a perfect pivoted down or up tilt are great tools to help keep space and set up combos. Mewtwo has no problems killing, with powerful smashes and his famed up throw, however with Mewtwo you can never rush in and try to force a kill. His weight should always be kept in mind, as one or two simple mistakes can cost you a stock. Simply playing defensive and patiently will net you the kill, as landing one smash, grab, or shadow claw is all it takes. His jab can be linked into a grab for a guarantee kill, however with certain DI and percentages, you may need to do a quick dash grab to pull it off. His rapid jab combo is great at pushing the opponent away and creating space, and does fair damage. Neutral air is a great out of shield option and can usually combo into either a forward air or back air, or sometimes into itself. Disable is phenomenal and can get a clutch kill at mid percentages if the opponent is read properly. Mewtwo is all about playing defensive and reading the opponent, and punishing the enemy's moves with powerful hits and severe combos. However Mewtwo does have very limited approach options as well as few safe options on shield, so rushing in and being aggressive can be severely detrimental. Play smart, know your combos, and be patient for the kill and with Mewtwo's powerful hits and strong finishers, he can on many players.

Top Bottom