• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meteor Smash Preference

Fancykong

Smash Journeyman
Which meteor smash do you usually prefer during a match to finish off an enemy?

My most favorite ones are dropdown Dairs. So disrespectful! I'll create the situation for them by throwing a projectile forwards, waiting for the opponent to go low, going underneath the projectile's trajectory and meeting the opponent. With my feet.

My second is reverse Fair. As my style is getting more technical, it's easier for me to read others jumping angles and when we'll meet. So throwing out RAR Fairs is a lot easier (ex. https://youtu.be/tPpmXOJ0BS4?t=1m45s), PLUS it keeps your momentum so you can get both a reverse Fair and Dair in, which is extremely cool to watch. Air footsies!

My last favorite is a combo: Sourspot Fair (arm) to Header. I don't know why this works so well, but the Sourspot puts the enemy in the perfect position for WFT's momentum to catch up to them for the Header. The cool thing is that it works in reverse too! As long as you hit the arm's Sourspot, the conditions will still allow you to use Header in the same fashion. Note that both moves are being used in midair against an aerial opponent trying to come back to the stage. Not like Nair Header, which is set up from from being on the stage near the ledge.

Header by itself used to hype me up, but For Glory spammers turned it into a mockery by ONLY attempting that and nothing else. Plus, that's kind of easy mode now that our meta has moved past just that one move.

Last edited:

⑨ball

Smash Ace
Header easily. I tend to mix them up depending on the situation but the others simply don't have the utility header does. A large part of it is definitely the placement of it's hitbox being similar to Melee's infamous nipple-boxes. It's in the perfect place to thwart challenges, eat airdodges, bop 1 frame ledge vulnerability, and eat nearly every recovery option alive.

I'm also kinda all about easy mode since I want to get the most out of everything WFT can do for as little effort as possible since in the long run you'll generally be working harder than every other character anyway.

If I had to choose a favorite setup it'd be a MU specific one: Knock Captain Falcon off stage and grab the ledge. There are a couple options he has here but his most common ones are go low and try to challenge you with uair which you can see coming a mile away and wreck with header, and upB. If he goes for the upB, DI up, tech and then dair him into oblivion. Twice if you have to. Header works too but gives them an opportunity to tech.

Fancykong

Smash Journeyman
You're right about Header. It's the one bone Sakurai threw WFT and surprisingly hasn't been nerfed yet. Maybe I should just try Anther's Ladder to get a newer, less lag-filled perspective on her.

I also really like Falcon spikes, but Pits/Rosalina/Mewtwo spikes are hilarious! Especially after the first time it happens and they start trying to mix up their recovery time, and then they get spiked anyway.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
FAir spike is super stylish, but takes forever and is way too impractical in too many MUs. Also, you need to be above you opponent in the right position, so you target basially HAS to be recovering low.

I would go for it if I could.

I find that Header is more possible to land to make an advantageous move. Its power is incredible, like, Zelda sweet-spotted DAir, or MORE than that in power. Great damage to boot. The move itself looks so puny that no one expects to be reverse headered. By jumping out just a bit over the edge and doing a header towards the stage I've pulled off reverse header spikes for KOs on FG multiple times. (Read: For Glory, but still) They're also very hype if people realize what is happening before the opponent is completely obliterated. o/

DAir is neat too but it's in a similar boat as FAir. But it has a little more power and isn't like, turning away and stuff. :p

Last edited:

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
I like when I trick the opponent into thinking the got Meteor'd by the Dair until they bounce up, thinking they're safe, only for Header to followup and land the actual Meteor KO.

Fancykong

Smash Journeyman
FAir spike is super stylish, but takes forever and is way too impractical in too many MUs. Also, you need to be above you opponent in the right position, so you target basially HAS to be recovering low.

I would go for it if I could.

I find that Header is more possible to land to make an advantageous move. Its power is incredible, like, Zelda sweet-spotted DAir, or MORE than that in power. Great damage to boot. The move itself looks so puny that no one expects to be reverse headered. By jumping out just a bit over the edge and doing a header towards the stage I've pulled off reverse header spikes for KOs on FG multiple times. (Read: For Glory, but still) They're also very hype if people realize what is happening before the opponent is completely obliterated. o/

DAir is neat too but it's in a similar boat as FAir. But it has a little more power and isn't like, turning away and stuff. :p

For Fair spikes, I actually start low and jump upwards towards them with the foot. That way, when we meet, they fall and if they air dodge, I still have header. It's useful in matchups where the opponent knows that you want to Header them. Like my above video showed, I tried almost every ledge tech against falcon and he survived. But he fell for the Fair.

TLDR: I like options. The zanier the better.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I feel foot Fair is the most disrespectful. It basically says "you weren't even worth using a super srs meteor mash on wow get fit loser." People usually linger on the respawn platform after the Fair spike because they have no idea what even happened. It's also my favorite, but least accurate of the 3. :C

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
It used to be Header, but now people know about it, so I use Fair a lot now. I probably will until people realize that meteor smashes as well.

I also found her ledge attack to meteor smash sometimes and it makes no sense when it happens. (I had a replay before the update last week deleted it.) It's impractical on most stages though, it would only work on Halberd, Lylat, and some omegas.

Fadacious

Smash Rookie
I find that her header is much easier to do. Fair can be dodgy because you have to be above the player, and her dair is slow as balls.

Top Bottom