• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metareveiew of Brawl.

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
Metareview -- Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)

110 Comments by Alexander Sliwinski Mar 7th 2008 5:00AM
Filed under: Nintendo Wii, Fighting, Metareviews

The time of Super Smash Bros. Brawl is almost upon the North Americas. Sunday, in fact, in case you're just waking from a coma (welcome back, btw). We've given our initial impressions of the game, but the reviews are coming in and they look smashing (sorry). The only real complaint leveled against the game is that it doesn't move the series forward, but merely refines what's there. We're pretty sure the many who plan on playing all Sunday night and are calling in sick for Monday don't care.

* GamePro (100/100): "From the fighting mechanics to roster of players Brawl is a well-rounded game that I just couldn't put down. The only downside to Brawl is that it doesn't do anything to reinvent the series. It takes elements of past SSB games and refines them, which is great, but players expecting an entirely new experience won't find it here. Still, it is a well round game that doesn't disappoint and it's a must buy for every Wii owner."
* IGN (95/100): "You will play the game to death when you get it. But unlike so many single-player hits, Metroid and Mario included, you will still be playing and consequently loving Brawl in the months and years to come. It is one of the great multiplayer titles of the generation and simply not to be missed."
* GameTap (90/100): "That's the beauty of Brawl: It's a game that keeps on giving. The game supports online matchups via the Wi-Fi Connection, of course, but even when you're not focused on the primary game modes, you can spend hours just playing with extra features or hunting down a ton of unlockables. ... Super Smash Bros. Brawl is a Wii game you can play forever...or at least, until the next Nintendo console arrives."
I say who ever works for IGN needs to get fired.

This is from Joystiq btw. So far they put MP3 over Brawl. MP3 is a **** failure from MP2.

Anyways thoughts and this what you expected from the professional reviewers?

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
So far they put MP3 over Brawl. MP3 is a **** failure from MP2.
Um... Metroid Prime 3 is an amazing game, eons beyond Metroid Prime 2, which is in my opinion the worst Metroid game I have played (Hunters might beat it though, haven't played it). I'd go as far as saying it was a better game than Galaxy, since I enjoyed Metroid Prime 3 quite a bit more (not saying Galaxy is not an amazing game). I could see where someone would put that game over Brawl... whether or not I would has yet to be seen since I haven't played it. I doubt it though.

Anyway... I haven't read the GameTap review, hopefully it's not as bad as IGNs.

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
MP3 was too easy, and boring in my opinion. I was like oh great lets make a Metroid game that's freaking easy. =/ *Sighs* Plus there wasn't enough backtracking. It was a great sequel. But looking at it, I still would taken Metriod Prime over it.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
I agree that Brawl should probably be rated higher than MP3, but you're crazy if you think MP2 was a good game. Honestly, I'm not shocked by these reviews at all. They all acknowledge the game's greatness, but also admit that it's pretty much just perfected what was already there.
And really, I think I'm OK with that.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
MP3 was too easy, and boring in my opinion. I was like oh great lets make a Metroid game that's freaking easy. =/ *Sighs* Plus there wasn't enough backtracking. It was a great sequel. But looking at it, I still would taken Metriod Prime over it.
The original? Definitely. It's my second favorite game of all time :p Mario RPG beats it though...I've never enjoyed a game more than I enjoyed that one, and if I still had my SNES I'd play through it every few months. That's a bit off topic though...

Gary

Smash Apprentice
I can't believe you guys are really complaining. So what? Ohs noes, the game didn't get an absolute perfect review, heads must roll! Jeezus... do you really need the reviewers to tell you it's good? You know it will be, just buy it and brawl your brains out.

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
Well, I kind of agree with that. Ever looked at the Pikmin closely? They're worse, graphic-wise, than Gamecube Pikmin.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I can't believe you guys are really complaining. So what? Ohs noes, the game didn't get an absolute perfect review, heads must roll! Jeezus... do you really need the reviewers to tell you it's good? You know it will be, just buy it and brawl your brains out.
It's not the scores that even matter. When a site like IGN is telling people that "Fox, Wolf, and Falco are all clones and have the same moveset" and call it a problem with the game, there is an issue... sure, I know it's a good game, but it would be nice if people could actually trust sites and reviews to give proper information about the game when they are explaining it. Does average Joe who picked up a Wii and never really played video games before know it's a good game? Probably not, and with their demeaning comments about the game that are not even true, it could cause him to not buy, or even rent, what could be the greatest game on the Wii.

I say this as a person who tends to look at reviews from various sources when I am thinking about getting a game I am unsure of. User reviews, reviews from large sites, wherever I can get information. There have been numerous times that I have not gotten games because of some of the negative comments that are said about the game, and sometimes I seriously wonder how much I can trust the articles "professional reviewers" write.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
What is this? Flaming reviewers for not giving Brawl a perfect score? Have you even played the game? I mean, I wouldn't give any of my favourite games a perfect score. Because a perfect score means it's just perfect. And I'm not conceited enough to blindly thinking that my favourite games are perfect. Great? Sure. Perfect, no!

The IGN reviewer should get fired, though. He doesn't do his homework or seem like a competent gamer at all. He claims Brawl is faster than Melee. Furthermore, he also claims Fox and Falco are new characters for Brawl (a quite lol-worthy claim since Fox was a starting character in both of the previous games) and that Airdodging is new to Brawl as well.

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
What is this? Flaming reviewers for not giving Brawl a perfect score? Have you even played the game? I mean, I wouldn't give any of my favourite games a perfect score. Because a perfect score means it's just perfect. And I'm not conceited enough to blindly thinking that my favourite games are perfect. Great? Sure. Perfect, no!

The IGN reviewer should get fired, though. He doesn't do his homework or seem like a competent gamer at all. He claims Brawl is faster than Melee. Furthermore, he also claims Fox and Falco are new characters for Brawl (a quite lol-worthy claim since Fox was a starting character in both of the previous games) and that Airdodging is new to Brawl as well.
Nah I don't expect games to get 10s across the boards unless they truly deserve it. Otherwise so long as the game gets it's just do. I'm ok with it. I'm mean heck a 5 out of 5 isn't a perfect game, it's just a great game.

I still think that Professional Reviwers shouldn't give out 10s just because they wanted to, they need have a reason for it. However if someone gives this game a 7/10 and have no justification for it then there is a problem.

And yes IGN reviewer needs to get fired. Fox. Falco and Wolf clones? Yep...

Thingy Person

Smash Journeyman
Pick another difficulty level. I'm doing it on Hypermode, and it's not easy. AT ALL.
Also, not enough backtracking? ROFL

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman

Yeah, I lol'ed and facepalmed at his stupidity. Both the reviewers are definitely both casuals as far as smash is concerned.

I still liked their Video review, some high def footage is always nice.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman

I don't think anyone is complaining about the score, but only the idiot IGN reviewer. Do they even mention slipping randomly, which from almost any prespective, casual or competitive, is a stupid idea. I still think there has to be some reason why it happens.

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman

This accusation should have some proofs. I've skimmed through all IGN's review, and there is no mention of Fox, and they didn't say it was faster than Melee.

Matt Cassamassina said:
fight mechanics polished up in Melee and enhance them more, adding further balance, tightening maneuverability and developing the move sets for the majority of the 35 characters. The end result is a fighter which plays incredibly fast, is highly responsive, and whose inner-depth is a rabbit hole with no discernible end.
Matt did a good job with that review, except for the graphics part. ¿Improved Melee? ¿WTF?

Necrochild313

Smash Apprentice
The Gamespot review isn't out yet, I'm willing to bet they're going to 8.5 it for some miserable reason. Then again, Gamespot is crap anyways.

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
try watching the video review big guy
I didn't watch it (English is not my main language), did they really say those things??

You must have misunderstood that. They can't be SO idiots. The truth is that Matt is a Pika-Thunder Spammer, but calling Fox a Newcomer is just silly.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
It's wrong giving a game like Brawl a score like 100/100. The singleplayer-mode seemed to be just decent, which means the game can't get a perfect score, and everyone doesn't like playing fighting in Smash-style, which means this game's not for everyone.

Necrochild313

Smash Apprentice
It's wrong giving a game like Brawl a score like 100/100. The singleplayer-mode seemed to be just decent, which means the game can't get a perfect score, and everyone doesn't like playing fighting in Smash-style, which means this game's not for everyone.
Well OOT got 100 from a good number of places, and not everyone like rolling around on the ground dressed like a fairy boy.

I'm not saying that SSBB deserves 100, but the "not everyone will like this" is pointing out the obvious more than making a point.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't think anyone is complaining about the score, but only the idiot IGN reviewer. Do they even mention slipping randomly, which from almost any prespective, casual or competitive, is a stupid idea. I still think there has to be some reason why it happens.
You must not have been around for too long. I've personally seen a lot of people complain about how it "only" got 9.5.

This accusation should have some proofs. I've skimmed through all IGN's review, and there is no mention of Fox, and they didn't say it was faster than Melee.
Watch the video review. It's done by Matt and some other guy.

And as mentioned by someone else, they also claim Fox, Falco and Wolf are "pretty much the same" or something equally inane.

I didn't watch it (English is not my main language), did they really say those things??

You must have misunderstood that. They can't be SO idiots. The truth is that Matt is a Pika-Thunder Spammer, but calling Fox a Newcomer is just silly.
Yes, he did.

* Fox and Falco are new
* Fox, Falco and Fox are "pretty much the same"
* Airdodging is new
* Brawl is faster than Melee

He said all of these things in the video review. It's quite laughable that he got paid for it.

No game can appael to everyone. The scores are based on what the demographic would think of it. If it's an RPG, then it's going to be based on RPG-thingies and how the RPG-community will receive the game.

TheMadShrew

Smash Cadet
This review really isn't that bad, although reading these last couple comments has made me want to watch the video review (for lolz).

Metroid Prime > Metroid Prime 3 > Metroid Prime 2. Don't get me wrong though, I am in no way a MP2 hater, I absolutely loved it. It is just the inferior of the 3. And following up a game like MP1 is no easy task, as it is easily one of my favorite games of all time.

EDIT: Watched the video review. What the hell are they on? That is all.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I haven't watched the video review, but the text review was excellent.
He loses all credibility with the video review. I don't care if the written review is competent. The video review was cataclysmically incompetent.

It's like someone giving me the job to review the Mona Lisa and I said "Well, he's got long hair".

fireb0rn

Smash Apprentice
I thought all prime games sucked. super metroid and the original were amazing; taking it 3d to appeal to the masses was lame imo. though I didn't like the gameboy advance version much either, whatever it was.

but yeah, reviewers are getting worse and worse. you can't really trust the people from ign or gamespot as much as you used to.

Top Bottom