• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metal Mario???

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, sounds stupid doesn't it? But, think about it. I thought it was kind of cool how in games like Mario Golf if you achieve something great you are awarded with a special character (Metal Mario), in Sonic R you would get a special character like Super Sonic. Do you think they'll do something similar in SSB4? With the removal of Dr. Mario, and the addition of Metal Boxes it's unlikely. But, do you think this would be a neat addition for doing something like clearing classic with all characters? Or just unnecessary? What would you prefer?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Probably an Alternate costume or just by hitting the metal box with Mario.
Well an alternate costume wouldn't work because he's made of a different material. Dr. Mario would work as a costume though. I'm just a HUGE Metal Mario fan which is why I always wanted to play as him since I was a kid sitting in front of my N64 getting my butt kicked by him.

I LOVE THAT SONG!!!!! He walks around and his feet go like: TIMONE! TIMONE! TIMONE!

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
One does not simply post theme songs without first providing a link for them!

Figured since it was posted right above mine, would've been a waste. Just like this post might as well be. Oh well, here's something to spice it up.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Figured since it was posted right above mine, it would've been a waste. Just like this post might as well be. Oh well, here's something to spice it up.
My apologies, I misread and thought you we're referring to the SM:64 MM theme...

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
It's amazing how many people on videogame forums are absolutely clueless as to how game development works.
:facepalm:
I'm not insinuating that there's a specific amount of slots they have to spare.
However Sakurai has implied he is going to be cautious about the final count in order to make balancing the game easier.
He will also limit the amount of clones as he has said he doesn't want to many. One Mario clone might mean the loss of a more popular clone idea like Impa.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
However Sakurai has implied he is going to be cautious about the final count in order to make balancing the game easier.
He will also limit the amount of clones as he has said he doesn't want to many. One Mario clone might mean the loss of a more popular clone idea like Impa.
Whether having the Metal power-up all the time with Mario is balanced or not is a different matter than whether he can spare an extra space on the screen for MM. I'm not sure about whether MM is inherently unbalanced or not... There are specific changes that the Metal Box makes to speed/knockback/etc., so it couldn't really be balanced beyond those unless the item is removed and the design philosophy of the character/Metal property is altered.

peeup

Smash Lord
Whether having the Metal power-up all the time with Mario is balanced or not is a different matter than whether he can spare an extra space on the screen for MM. I'm not sure about whether MM is inherently unbalanced or not... There are specific changes that the Metal Box makes to speed/knockback/etc., so it couldn't really be balanced beyond those unless the item is removed and the design philosophy of the character/Metal property is altered.
Calm down, you're overthinking things.

Neanderthal, I believe, isn't really saying anything about MM being a balanced character. I just think most people would appreciate lots and lots and lots of other clones before him. And Sakurai has already said small roster and few clones, so MM isn't a very appealing idea to most.

Also if you're talking balance wise about him being metal.... They don't have to remove the metal box. They don't have to change anything about being metal. They could just, like, make MM heavier and slower than regular Mario >.>

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice

Neanderthal, I believe, isn't really saying anything about MM being a balanced character. I just think most people would appreciate lots and lots and lots of other clones before him. And Sakurai has already said small roster and few clones, so MM isn't a very appealing idea to most.

Also if you're talking balance wise about him being metal.... They don't have to remove the metal box. They don't have to change anything about being metal. They could just, like, make MM heavier and slower than regular Mario >.>
If we're talking about including him on the character select, he would have to be balanced within the range of the other characters.

MM isn't a clone. He's an item effect. Clones have, at the very least, tweaks to trajectories and damage dealing, if not new animations and other properties. Metal Mario is Mario with the Metal Box item permanently. He's not a clone like Dr. Mario, who required development time to modify on an attack-by-attack basis. Once the Metal Box properties are assigned to the item, he's either inherently balanced, or he's not, or he is not the same as Metal Box effect for some reason. Those are the only options. If permanently-Metal Mario happens to be witihin balance tolerances, then I'd be all for sticking him on the character select.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
If we're talking about including him on the character select, he would have to be balanced within the range of the other characters.

MM isn't a clone. He's an item effect. Clones have, at the very least, tweaks to trajectories and damage dealing, if not new animations and other properties. Metal Mario is Mario with the Metal Box item permanently. He's not a clone like Dr. Mario, who required development time to modify on an attack-by-attack basis. Once the Metal Box properties are assigned to the item, he's either inherently balanced, or he's not, or he is not the same as Metal Box effect for some reason. Those are the only options. If permanently-Metal Mario happens to be witihin balance tolerances, then I'd be all for sticking him on the character select.
Like I said, waste of a slot/time/effort that could be spent on a clone that actually excites people.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
To be fair, Metal Mario is already in the game whenever Mario picks up a Metal Box. Metal Mario as a playable character would imply the removal of Metal Boxes, because... Metal Metal Mario? Yeah, it makes no sense.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Play a special game with metal option on and you're fine.

Speaking of, it'd be hilarious if we could assign different special conditions to different players somehow, like one player has the metal box on him, the other has the bunny hood, the third has the fire curry effect on him etc. Would be much better for the game instead of copy-pasting Mario.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Yeah, let's bring back the Meta Crystal stage ToasterBrains says as the memories come flooding back to him.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Is Impa suppose to be a clone of Sheik? Wouldn't one rather just have Zelda & Sheik seperate.

Here are some good clone ideas I came up with

Leif > Marth
Baby Yoshi > Yoshi
Louie > Olimar (But, with new Pikmin)
Raichu > Pikachu

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

The point is that Metal Mario isn't a normal rep. He is suppose to be a Special Rep. Like one that's really difficult to unlock and you have to have all the other characters. Metal Mario would be slower and heavier and but, not harder to launch like if you actually had the Metal Box because that would be unfair. Also unable to swim and is very powerful. Metal Mario is suppose to be a character that's really hard to acess and doesn't appear in Classic Mode.

This whole thread is pretty stupid, but that...

Maybe I just don't get your logic.

Do you have logic?
Marth's Sheild Breaker / Little Mac's Punch

Marth's Dolphin Slash / Little Mac does it with his upper cut

Marth's Counter/ Little Mac moves to the side and then counter punches (like in the game)

Marth's Forward B / Little Mac uses his fists instead.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Try reading above you. Reading will get you further in life. You see thinking is a powerful part of the mind. It prevents you from jumping to conclusions and helps comprehend stuff you couldn't normally comprehend.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I agree Metal Mario for SSB4! But let's not stop there! Lets add Shadow Mario, Paper Mario, Baby Mario, Dr. Mario, Zero-Suit Mario and Dr. Baby Paper Mario! :upsidedown:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Try reading above you. Reading will get you further in life. You see thinking is a powerful part of the mind. It prevents you from jumping to conclusions and helps comprehend stuff you couldn't normally comprehend.
I'm sorry. That moveset does absolutely no justice to Little Mac. And even if the 4 specials would be similar, his normal moves would be way different, making him a non-clone.

You would do well to think about a character's whole moveset before jumping to conclusions.:rolleyes:

peeup

Smash Lord
The point is that Metal Mario isn't a normal rep. He is suppose to be a Special Rep. Like one that's really difficult to unlock and you have to have all the other characters. Metal Mario would be slower and heavier and but, not harder to launch like if you actually had the Metal Box because that would be unfair. Also unable to swim and is very powerful. Metal Mario is suppose to be a character that's really hard to acess and doesn't appear in Classic Mode.

Special rep or not, he'd still be time put into the game that could (read: should) be put into a whole host of other options.

Marth's Counter/ Little Mac moves to the side and then counter punches (like in the game)

Fair enough. Just seems weird to replace a swordsman with someone who exclusively uses his fists. EDIT: Read what FalKoopa said.
Bold and my color.

I agree Metal Mario for SSB4! But let's not stop there! Lets add Shadow Mario, Paper Mario, Baby Mario, Dr. Mario, Zero-Suit Mario and Dr. Baby Paper Mario! :upsidedown:
Zero Suit Baby Mario... #BonerCity

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm sorry. That moveset does absolutely no justice to Little Mac. And even if the 4 specials would be similar, his normal moves would be way different, making him a non-clone.

You would do well to think about a character's whole moveset before jumping to conclusions.:rolleyes:
i·de·a

/īˈdēə/
Noun
  1. A thought or suggestion as to a possible course of action: "the idea of linking pay to performance".
  2. A concept or mental impression.
Synonyms
notion - thought - conception - concept - opinion - view

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

pre·dic·tion

/priˈdikSHən/
Noun
  1. A thing predicted; a forecast.
  2. The action of predicting something.
Synonyms
prophecy - prognostication - forecast - augury

There is a difference. You shouldn't jump to conclusions or assume my ideas are what I think is actually gonna happen or should happen. It's a concept. And asking questions can help you better understand concepts. Asking questions can help you comprehend things you couldn't before. Like perhaps asking why Little Mac being a Marth clone is a concept. I think the anger you get comes from a large misunderstanding on the difference between Idea & Prediction.

Also by reading this thread you would know this thread is what people would think if he was in it. It's not a support thread. Sometimes it hurts my brain when people don't read things and just jump to conclusions

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice

I'd like it if after Mac used the counter, he went into a flashing/ready state with the star SFX and that allowed him to do the Star Uppercut with his next up-special, similar to G&W's bucket. I don't think most of Marth's moves would translate, but the specials aren't a bad starting point once the sword is replaced with mitts.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, if anything, that theme and stage really should make a comeback in some form. That would be awesome on so many levels.

peeup

Smash Lord
i·de·a

/īˈdēə/
Noun
  1. A thought or suggestion as to a possible course of action: "the idea of linking pay to performance".
  2. A concept or mental impression.
Synonyms

notion - thought - conception - concept - opinion - view
No need to be a ****, man. Especially looking at what I bolded... FalKoopa is telling you his opinion and/or view about what you said, and he's doing so with far less hostility than you.

But back on topic, I do support clones, but I would rather see Paper Mario than Metal Mario. That way at least maybe Paper Mario could come back in Smash 5 with a more original moveset, kinda like what happened to Ganondorf but more fleshed out. I do think MM's stage and music should return though, along with a plethora of other gems from Smash64 (Congo Jungle, Hyrule Temple, and Saffron City pleeeeeease)

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
No need to be a ****, man. Especially looking at what I bolded... FalKoopa is telling you his opinion and/or view about what you said, and he's doing so with far less hostility than you.

But back on topic, I do support clones, but I would rather see Paper Mario than Metal Mario. That way at least maybe Paper Mario could come back in Smash 5 with a more original moveset, kinda like what happened to Ganondorf but more fleshed out. I do think MM's stage and music should return though, along with a plethora of other gems from Smash64 (Congo Jungle, Hyrule Temple, and Saffron City pleeeeeease)
I thought he was trying to be mean because of the ":rolleyes:" It's kind of trollish. Plus he does that all the time before knowing what he's talking about.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
I'd prefer Paper Mario as well, but Metal Mario would be (even) easier to include. He would only require testing for balancing, not actual balancing work. He either is or he isn't. There's no dev time beyond the creation of the item and the character just has the item effect permanently.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Considering we already have Metal Mario in the game. Is this really necessary?

I like most everyone here, would rather have Doc or Paper Mario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom