• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metal Legacy's HD Renders & Cosmetics *2/28/17 Roy added*

Metal Legacy

Smash Rookie
One thing that has always bothered me about Project M is how the character portraits are the same as Brawl's. I have been using other people's custom renders in my personal build for a while now, but have recently decided to make some renders myself. Now I am no expert with BrawlBox or Blender, the programs I'm using, so any criticism or advice is welcome! I plan to eventually finish all the costumes in Project M v3.6. I will update this thread when I get the time and complete a new set of renders.

WARNING: All my uploads will be a large size and as high quality as I can manage. They are mostly meant to be loaded into Dolphin using custom textures. To use in a Wii build, resize the images to the necessary size.

How to install:
1) In Dolphin go to Config > Paths and set a Dump Path that's easy to get to. Then go to Graphics > Advanced and check Dump Textures.
2) Open up Project M in Dolphin and make sure that you make each picture you want to replace appear. That does mean you'll have to do at least one battle with each costume of a character if you want to replace the Battle Portraits.
3) Close Dolphin and open your Dump folder. Go into Textures and then into the folder that's titled Project M's ID. Find all the files you want to replace, oldest ones should be near the top of the folder, and copy them.
4) Open your Dolphin file directory and go into the User folder. If it's not already there, create a folder and title it Load. Create a folder inside that folder that's titled with the same game ID from the Dump folder. Inside the game ID folder you can make any folders you want so I recommend having one folder per character. Paste the dumped textures into this folder.
5) Take the files you saved from this thread and paste them into that same folder.
6) Change the name of my file to the same one as the file you'd like to replace. Delete the old file and make sure there isn't a "(2)' or "- Copy" at the end of the file name.
7) In Dolphin go to Graphics > Advanced. Check Load Custom Textures and Prefetch Custom Textures. You can uncheck Dump Textures now if you'd like.
8) Open Project M and enjoy!
1) Make sure your build of Project M runs properly on your Wii and that you have BrawlBox installed on your computer.
2) Use an image editing software to resize my files;
CSPs - 128x160
BPs - 48x56
CSIs - 80x56
Nametags - 144x32 (these also require a black background to be added)
3) Refer to this very well written guide for replacing the files: https://smashboards.com/threads/gui...-m-3-6-csps-bsps-rsps-and-stock-icons.407758/
CSIs and Nametags are in common5.pac along with the CSPs. Nametage are in MiscData[30] and CSIs are in MiscData[70].
4) Make sure you save the BrawlBox file before closing them.
5) Open Project M and enjoy!

I have designed these for a build that has the small name plates on the CSIs removed. I strongly recommend you do so as well.
1) Open your common5.pac with BrawlBox
2) Go to MiscData[30] and expand the AnmChr(NW4R) folder
3) Expand the file MenSelchrFaceI_TopN__0
4) Click on nameEA7 and change the Y Scale to -100

Roy
Full Size Renders: http://imgur.com/a/BQq

Last edited:

Pyro Gaming

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I saw that slick af Roy render. Good job, looks nice. If you want to tweek it a bit more, move his eyes up a bit more so he is looking more in front of him instead of kinda down.
Can't wait for you to do the rest of the PM cast! Also, you might want to render some of the more popular costumes from the vault and here on Smashboards for those custom builds out there.

Last edited:

Metal Legacy

Smash Rookie
Hey, I saw that slick af Roy render. Good job, looks nice. If you want to tweek it a bit more, move his eyes up a bit more so he is looking more in front of him instead of kinda down.
Can't wait for you to do the rest of the PM cast! Also, you might want to render some of the more popular costumes from the vault and here on Smashboards for those custom builds out there.
Thank you! I can give that a try. As for the other costumes I'll do what I can but who knows how much time I'll have to devote to this. I'll certainly do as many as I can!

Last edited:

ArmorAbsCrabs

Smash Cadet
That render of Roy looks amazing! Good job, dude. What program do you use? I'm assuming 3DS Max?

*Edit. I just saw your Blender post a few seconds ago. Disregard those questions.

Last edited:

Metal Legacy

Smash Rookie
That render of Roy looks amazing! Good job, dude. What program do you use? I'm assuming 3DS Max?

*Edit. I just saw your Blender post a few seconds ago. Disregard those questions.
Thank you! And yeah I use BrawlBox to make the pose and them import the model into Blender for rendering. I'm actually considering making a tutorial for the process I use anyway. It took me a really long time to finally figure all this stuff out for what is actually a rather simple process

ArmorAbsCrabs

Smash Cadet
Thank you! And yeah I use BrawlBox to make the pose and them import the model into Blender for rendering. I'm actually considering making a tutorial for the process I use anyway. It took me a really long time to finally figure all this stuff out for what is actually a rather simple process
If you're down to make a tutorial on how you make renders then I would be the first to look at that. I tried following Smash 3's tutorial and it gave me an idea on what to do, but I couldn't successfully pull it off. I did look up some tutorials on how to use Blender and I'm still going through that, but I really just need to take some time and dedicate it to learn Blender.

Metal Legacy

Smash Rookie
If you're down to make a tutorial on how you make renders then I would be the first to look at that. I tried following Smash 3's tutorial and it gave me an idea on what to do, but I couldn't successfully pull it off. I did look up some tutorials on how to use Blender and I'm still going through that, but I really just need to take some time and dedicate it to learn Blender.
Reassuring to hear there would actually be interest in that. I actually use Smash 3C's method myself but that guide is rather vague. It took a lot of me just fooling around to figure it out. When I get the time I'll definitely make something

Last edited:

Layell

Smash Journeyman
You're at a good start

The cape point at the shoulder is a clear error, you shouldn't naturally see the inside lining sticking out like that. I would suggest either vertex editing or using photoshop and layer masks to smooth rough polygon edges.

You are also missing the RoyEyeHigh texture on the eyes.

Last edited:

Metal Legacy

Smash Rookie
You're at a good start

The cape point at the shoulder is a clear error, you shouldn't naturally see the inside lining sticking out like that. I would suggest either vertex editing or using photoshop and layer masks to smooth rough polygon edges.

You are also missing the RoyEyeHigh texture on the eyes.
Thank you! I actually didn't notice the cape and I wasn't really sure what that texture was for. I'll look into them

Top Bottom