• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metal Blade Advance Tips

Mattopia

Smash Rookie
So the more I use MB the more powerful of a tool I realize it is. Not only can it be used for basic zoning or to hit confirm into kills but a number of interesting strategies such as frame traps and tech chase setups. Here are a few I started using.

• A new use for MB that I have started using is to throw one into the ground either near me or my opponent in order to limit options. For instance, since Mega Man can be rather limited in close quarters a lot of fast characters can just jab/f-tilt/d-tilt us without any worry of being beat to the punch. However if a metal blade is in front of us on the ground they can no longer do any of those options without picking up the MB. If they do pick it up that gives us enough time for a free grab, u-tilt, up smash, etc. When this happens it can make your opponent more wary of approaching when a MB is around. (Also whenever your opponent has your MB just don't stop shooting lemons. They will cancel out the MB if they throw it and most of their options are gone making it hard to retaliate. All the free damage lol)

• A rather efficient frame trap I discovered is diagonal down MB to nair offstage. I have gotten a lot of kills with this and the way it works is simple. If your opponent is offstage jump off and throw the MB. Most players I have found will air dodge which will grant you a free nair for a quick kill at mid to high percents. Even if they throw out a fair or something to catch it you can usually still follow up with nair as soon as it ends. If they just avoid it altogether with a double jump I just jump back towards stage with an u-air and it usually connects with the late hits. Be wary of characters with strong offstage options like Sheik's BF though since they can punish the MB throw initially.

• You might know that a thrown MB item can force tech situations on heavy/fast fallers on stage at mid/high percents which you can lemon lock if they miss the tech but it can actually true combo into a kill on all characters if hit correctly. A thrown metal blade will true combo into a RAR bair if hit from about the max lemon distance if they either don't DI or DI in towards you. Most good players will DI towards stage at high percent trying to have good survival DI out of habit. The easiest way I have found to land this is to throw the MB as you land on stage, buffer dash, and then RAR bair. The closer they are to you when they're hit the more reliable it works.

• One last tip a lot of newer Mega mans miss out on is Z dropping. Another way to land kill moves, set up combos for damage, force rolls, or just mind games. Plus if you SH Z drop on their shield it gives you a free grab.

Anyway I hope some of these are useful to you guys and please share any tips or strategies you all use with metal blade!

D

Deleted member

I use all of these regularly, however, your first suggestion I just started toying with. I'm glad to see that you mentioned it. In addition to that, I've noticed that if you do a diagonal MB, many players will run in to grab it with a dash attack. This can also give you a free punish. I will usually throw a MB in to make them go grab it, and punish with a grab.

I've really begun to notice that the harder the opponents, the more mind games you have to play. It makes it quite fun, but can be difficult if you autopilot.

D

Deleted member

Oh, also, in regards to Z-dropping, if you Z-drop and it hits your opponent, that almost guarantees a follow up DAir, because your opponent will typically either jump right after, or use his up-special.

Mr.Metal

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0860-3619-7626
Never taught of the first option you offered with the MB, good stuff man your tips will definitely help alot in future matches. Thanks man

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I recorded a video yesterday to show you what I meant by a dropped MB hitting your oponent, and following up with DAir.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I know all of these tactics with the Metal Blade. I just need to get into the habit of Z-Air-ing the Metal Blade. I never think to do that sometimes, and I need another way to mess with my opponent's heads, even though I usually do a good job of doing that.

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
One piece of Metal Blade tech I'm currently trying out is held MB punishes out of Perfect Shield (Inspired by the One Smash Perfect Parry video).

At the right percent this can lead to "Lemon-lock" UTilt KO's earlier (about 15% give or take) than normal.

I'm still working on this strat but here's a quick vid against a CPU showing it in action:

https://youtu.be/MkBMoEshI14

Let me know what you think.

PS I've been talking to the One Smash guys and it seems we can even add a Spot Dodge option select to it to make it even more effective.

:)

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
One piece of Metal Blade tech I'm currently trying out is held MB punishes out of Perfect Shield (Inspired by the One Smash Perfect Parry video).

At the right percent this can lead to "Lemon-lock" UTilt KO's earlier (about 15% give or take) than normal.

I'm still working on this strat but here's a quick vid against a CPU showing it in action:

https://youtu.be/MkBMoEshI14

Let me know what you think.

PS I've been talking to the One Smash guys and it seems we can even add a Spot Dodge option select to it to make it even more effective.

:)
Did it matter that you perfect shielded? Could the cpu not tech because you perfect shielded, or something?

Last edited:

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
Did it matter that you perfect shielded? Could the cpu not tech because you perfect shielded, or something?
No the MB comes out much quicker than just waiting for shield to drop normally. This can catch an opponent off guard which means a missed tech is more likely.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
When I first started learning MM, I was all about z drops. It's good don't get me wrong, but I've found throwing item blade down to be better in most situations. It travels so much faster, and you can act almost immediately after throwing.

My favorite uses are jumping over opponent and down throw item MB into either back air or fire off lemons on landing and regrab blade in process. The second option is hard for opponent to punish with how many hitboxes it throws out in quick succession. Add in a quick short hop backwards, and its really difficult to punish. I can show this next time I get around to making a video.

Top Bottom