• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight ~ Overpowered?

dragonruler824

Smash Rookie
what MK cant kill easily at low % he has trouble killing... a good yoshi is never expected... and if played right, can really screw up MK's day...

benman

Smash Rookie
Just to give ya some insight on metaknight. He's not that hard to kill with...The key is not to diminish his killing attacks...you spam fairs and dairs and neutral b etc until the opponent is at about 110-120 percent, then 1 of his killing moves (if you haven't used them at all) at full power will pretty much kill anyone.

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
Metaknight may not be "overpowered," but he very well could be the fox of Brawl. Metaknight, more than all other characters, can abuse shield lowering to smash/tilt attacks. All of Metaknight's smashes have an insanely short start-up lag and ending lag. Assuming you don't use F or D-smash to build damage, he has absolutely no problems KOing people off the sides.

His lack of projectiles is his most acute weakness, but the fact that he can close gaps so well, and has such a solid set of B-moves makes him one of the hardest characters to keep at a distance. His running speed is obscene considering the rest of his strengths.

Metaknight is abusive when he's in close range. No other character is harder to punish, which makes mistakes with metaknight less damaging to your play. Needless to say, he's also very good at punishing people. His run speed, quick start-up lag, and nearly unblockable Tornado makes punishing very easy.

Metaknight also has one of the best recoveries in the game. Considering all of his B-moves can be used as some form of recovery, he has so many options and is thus extremely difficult to edgegaurd. This is completely discounting the fact that his recovery can cover huge distances. I wont say it's the best recovery in the game, but I will say there's basically no situation where his recovery wont suffice. Of course, with this level of recovery comes incredible off stage edgegaurding. Metaknights can follow you anywhere off stage, chasing you with fast, disjointed hitboxes which suffer minimal lag on both sides of the attack.

I've played in 4 Brawl tournaments. I main T. Link, and have played T. Link at all of them. Yes, projectiles are good vs. Metaknight. No, projectiles dont make up for the amount of abuse metaknight provides me with in close range. Well over 75 percent of my losses have been to metaknight at the tournament level.

So, if I had to sum up my post in a few simple points:

1. Metaknight has virtually no start-up lag on over 90 percent of his attacks.
2. Metaknight has virtually no ending lag on over 90 percent of his attacks. (and basically NONE on his Up-B, which is a devestatingly good move.)
3. Metaknight has potential to be the highest tier character in the game.
4. Metaknight has an insane recovery / edgegaurding game.

I'm not saying metaknight is broken, or should be banned. I'm saying he's very good and people on the metaknight boards should be aware that he is an extremely high-quality character. It's unproductive to believe anything else.

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
He is Overpowered. He has alot of priority but just lean to accept it though. Some Characters are overpowered like melee.

mrk

Smash Cadet
-Aether: Awesome post; sums up my ideas perfectly. As a Meta main, I'm glad that the devs were kind enough to provide me with an amazing fighter to match an amazing character (who was going to be my main regardless of his potential).

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
he is not over powered, he is simply good against a lot of popular characters. heavy characters give metaknight players fits, because they accent all his weaknesses and make all his strengths moot. sure, he can combo them, but most of the people who play fatties are used to that, however, the vast majority of characters have a hard time killing fatties, and with metaknights subpar finishing moves you're going to be in trouble, on top of that, most of them have disjoints (Ike/Dedede) or more priority (DK/Snake/Wolf)

also, fatties kill metaknight quick. He seems overpowered and nearly broken right now, but thats because not many people play the big guys, except snake, which some people consider a metaknight counter. he's still high tier material, but he does have weaknesses, its just not many people play the big guys right now

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Meta Knight is insanely good despite lacking projectiles. He has a lot of fast attacks, is a good combo maker, and his f-smash and d-smash are major killers.

Meta Knight is also an aerial threat, especially since his n-air can send foes flying once damage goes over 100%. His recovery is excellent too; can do 5 mid-air jumps and glide to recover.

The special moves are also quite good, but I don't use the down special move much.

Overall, Meta Knight's biggest problem is dealing with defensive opponents.

Suxen

Smash Rookie
every character had a overpowered move this is UpB but with Dedede is SF so it cant tell that is overpowered is mor balanced wath his Neutral A is so weak but so anoying and his Down B it only helps whits Guarding Edge FrontB not so good and besides this character is wak to strong atacks

greymint

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't go as far to say that hes overpowered...I've been owned by snake lotsa times :/

Endgam3

Smash Rookie
i agree with some of your points but it thing that he has plenty to balance him out
1. his smashes do some of the lowest damage of any character and his Fsmash has quite a bit of start up lag. over all his attacks have low power
2. he is not the fastest character in the game, in fact he has below average air speed.
3. campers can give him quite a bit of trouble if they know what their doing.
meta is good but i dont thing he's overpowered, it all depends on the skill of the player and how well the opponant can counter meta knights skills.
I couldnt agree more :bee: I can understand the angle of where people are coming from. His attacks are VERY fast, but theyre also very weak. And his air speed? He has distance and airtime, but definitely not speed.

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
MK will be overpowered when he has one good kill move. dsmash isn't good. and that's about it.
When used correctly it is very deadly. The thing with metaknight is you have to stop looking for that one uber attack. His style to to relentlessly attack your foe. What Metaknight shines at is the fact he can chase enemies off the edge to make sure they are dead. The only character I have had trouble doing this against is Pit, Kirby, or another Meta for obvious reasons. Characters like fox, falco, wolf, lucas, ness, ect you can cheap KO them around 20-40% easily.

mrk

Smash Cadet
MK will be overpowered when he has one good kill move. dsmash isn't good. and that's about it.
You're a fool.

Dsmash.
Fsmash.
Uthrow.
Fair.
Dair.
Nair.
Uspecial.

When you can rack up damage like Meta can, having that many killing moves is not just good enough--it's overkill. Learn to play and come back once you're done.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot Glide Attack.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Meta Knight is too good. If you lose with him, your opponent is merely better than you. That doesn't make MK a bad character. His pros outweigh his cons. If you think MK is bad, play Samus or something. She's like the exact opposite of MK.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
You're a fool.

Dsmash.
Fsmash.
Uthrow.
Fair.
Dair.
Nair.
Uspecial.

When you can rack up damage like Meta can, having that many killing moves is not just good enough--it's overkill. Learn to play and come back once you're done.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot Glide Attack.
if your opponent lets you rack up enough damage to get killed by uthrow, then he's the one that needs to learn to play and come back, anyone with more range than meta can control the match, so that means much less damage on metas part

Rebel581

Smash Champion
At the current metagame, Metaknight is overpowered. He has kill moves, very few bad matchups (his only real bad matchup being Snake), and can relentlessly chase down his opponent.

The metagame will evolve though, and he'll probably just be the Sheik of this game. Or hopefully at least.

mrk

Smash Cadet
if your opponent lets you rack up enough damage to get killed by uthrow, then he's the one that needs to learn to play and come back, anyone with more range than meta can control the match, so that means much less damage on metas part
There is no character in the game better suited to racking up damage than Meta Knight. Furthermore, range doesn't matter: MK's range is perfect for his size, and everybody with longer range gives meta enough time to sweep in and grab or fair them in the face. Furthermore, if we consider the fact that people get mauled by Reverse Shuttle Loops at under 40%, you don't even need to make use of the kill moves I specified.

The problem here is that you've never played a good Meta. When you do, you're not going to win.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
There is no character in the game better suited to racking up damage than Meta Knight. Furthermore, range doesn't matter: MK's range is perfect for his size, and everybody with longer range gives meta enough time to sweep in and grab or fair them in the face. Furthermore, if we consider the fact that people get mauled by Reverse Shuttle Loops at under 40%, you don't even need to make use of the kill moves I specified.

The problem here is that you've never played a good Meta. When you do, you're not going to win.
ok
1. i'm talking about his uthrow, not reverse shuttle loop, uthrow does not kill

2. range does matter, a well spaced dk or marth will not allow metaknight to "sweep in and grab or fair them in the face."

3. i have knocked edge out of the winners bracket twice in two straight tourneys, in fact he had to switch to d3 to beat me, and if you don't know who he is, edge is considered the best metaknight out west, and is the only metaknight to win a game against dsfs snake

Catmurderer

Smash Rookie
His tornado is insane for recovery. It has to be one if not the best recovery, horizontal distance wise, in the game...

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
UpB doesn't kill many characters like Snake out of a shield. Just doesn't have enough knockback off the ground. On the other end, Snake can kill MK with Uptilt at 90%. No characters are overpowered. Even ridiculous glitchy Snake has his weaknesses. There are underpowered characters though. Characters like Craptin Falcon, and Sonic are underpowered. I enjoy using them, but they don't have the power they need to be tourney viable.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Though very good, I wouldn't say mk is overpowered. Hes not the fastest character in the game, and hes very light, making him fly farther. All his amazing recovery moves do is prevent him from getting koed by falling or whatnot. He can still be shot offscreen very easily. He's also very weak, and though he does have some very good ko moves, they still can't be properly used unless your opponent is 100%+. Despite all his weaknesses, MK is a BEAST.

smashtrainee

Smash Rookie
there are three tipes of characters in this game:

1:the speed demons(fast in speed but low in hit %'s)
2:the regulars(normal speed and normal hit %'s)
3:the powerhouses(slow like hell but very high hit %'s)

MK falls under at some point between the speed demons and the regulars.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
MK is way to over powered. Once he get's you in the air, he can combo you until you are off the ledge. Then he can chase you down, kill you, AND make it back to the stage. Sure his moves doesn't have a lot of knock back, but that's what makes him rack up damage so easily. He can just keep comboing you until you have a high %, then use a killing move. Also, to add on to that, his moves has almost no start up and almost no end lag. Can you say overpowered?

bobert4936

Smash Cadet
nah mk is good but he lacks potential. Such as mk is very goood but he cant get much better at a certain level. tl snake d3 fox have alot more potential then spamming fairs, dtils and dsmashes

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
no, he's got a lot of potential, people are going to find a lot of new tricks with his upb, however, there are deeper characters like dk, wario, falco, and d3 that may or may not pass him in the tier lists

Kayzee

Smash Journeyman
MK is way to over powered. Once he get's you in the air, he can combo you until you are off the ledge. Then he can chase you down, kill you, AND make it back to the stage. Sure his moves doesn't have a lot of knock back, but that's what makes him rack up damage so easily. He can just keep comboing you until you have a high %, then use a killing move. Also, to add on to that, his moves has almost no start up and almost no end lag. Can you say overpowered?
Contradictions in that post.

liverymen

Smash Apprentice
Lol, when I play as MK, the only thing I ask myself is "how hard should I try?" because I know I'm going to win as long as it's not against snake. I quit MK cuz he's so overpowered it just wasnt fun. MK killed all the spartans and could watch the new indiana jones movie before us all cuz he's so fast. Seriously though, a fresh down smash from MK is one of the most reliable kill moves in the game. If MK shields any move he gets a free grab which sets him up well because any opponent slightly above the ground who's on the defensive is MK bait. Projectiles are completely meaningless against an MK who actually plays with good spacing. When you know how to use any of MK's B moves you wont be punished either. Wait, what MK moves are punishable? Of the commonly used ones, only down smash if you predict it and and act quickly and forward tilt, that's prolly it. Whatever, snake and MK are in a league of their own. Looks like tourney results agree with that too. http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=165954

Top Bottom